Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ever get the feeling like you're being punked?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ever get the feeling like you're being punked?

It's one of those days at work today.

I've been asked the dumbest questions I've heard in months. I'm dealing with a couple contractors whose ineptitude with basic technologies they're supposed to be proficient in is off the charts. I've got requests coming at me from various departments which make no sense and require me to chase everyone for basic info that should've been there in the first place ("please create this ridiculously-longly named, grammatically-incorrect subdomain by tomorrow" and then they omitted the IP it is to point to, and when I responded I got an out-of-office).

If I had to pick a day where I just lose it, today is that day.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Want to borrow a firearm?
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Lancer (I think) posted a tech thread here recently where I eventually had to conclude that he was ****ing with us. I'll see if I can find it.
      <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

One of these contractors (a guy who immigrated here from India) was to make a simple web service that responded with a simple text string only (a JSON array, if you know what that is). I told him this many times, and it's clearly defined in the specs I gave him: JUST return the string, nothing else -- no HTML, no formatting, etc.

He took ONE WEEK to implement this service that would LITERALLY take me 5 to 10 mins to implement, and it's a full out HTML page. It's got a page title, it's got a header (h1) that says 'Welcome to the web service!'. The text string I wanted is then below the header. Below that is another text string that literally says 'Come visit us again!'. Are you ****ing kidding me? He essentially put a "Thank you, come again" footer on the ****ing web service.

Holy ****. My head is killing me.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Found it

Comment

He also said he couldn't find a Java-based JSON library to read/write to/from JSON to Java, so he apparently wrote his own buggy implementation with a String Tokenizer. With 2-3 seconds of searching I gave him a link to no less than over a dozen free, open source JSON to Java conversion libraries. All he'd have to do is include them and make a simple function call!

Comment

He just informed me that I'm supposed to save my JSON objects back to his server by sending them EMBEDDED IN THE URL PARAMETERS. These JSON objects can be up to 64KB in size and contain any number of characters.

I told him "No, this isn't going to work. I'm going to use the POST body, so you'll need to read it from the POST body, not the URL parameters".

He responded to me "POST should work. Just be sure to use the 'jsonfieldarray' parameter."

***********EXPLODES*******************

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand View Post
                Want to borrow a firearm?
                FWIW, this is why Canada has strict gun control laws.

Comment

I have no idea what all that means, but I don't see why the field of computer programming should be exempt from basic human stupidity. I encounter plenty of ineptitude at MY job, which could--and would--be done by trained chimps if it weren't for sanitation issues and the rarity of chimps.
                  1011 1100
                  Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

No, Britain has strict gun control laws. We have "strict" gun control laws only relative to the US.
                    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                    Stadtluft Macht Frei
                    Killing it is the new killing it
                    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Strict enough for me.

Comment

I found some dude who wrote a compiler for his ph.d using over three hundred data structures. "This tree is slightly faster when you access it in this order, this other tree is slightly faster when you access it in this other order, there's at least another dozen trees like this folks!"

Comment

Blame Loin...
                          Last edited by Lorizael; December 8, 2009, 13:02. Reason: MOBIUS must have accidentally typed that. No big deal. I've corrected it for him.
                          Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

You are officially the second-worst poster.

Comment

What a nerd.
                              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Working...
                              X