No announcement yet.

So Galnemer's favorite cat is dying...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We've had to put down a number of pets. The basic criterion in every case was whether the animal's life was just not happy anymore. If it's feeling rough but it can still get some joy out of life (curls up to you, purrs when you scratch it behind the ears), by all means keep going. If it just lies down looking morose, moans constantly, shudders and hacks nonstop, it's only merciful to let it go.
    1011 1100
    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by Guynemer View Post
      ...of lymphoma. The treatment was just too stressful on the poor thing; we've now got her on weekly subcutaneous injections of steroids and she seems happier.

However, she is getting palpable, hard lymph nodes in more than one area, and is losing weight despite, for her, a good appetite. She pretty clearly doesn't have a lot of time left, but isn't suffering at all right now.

Despite years in of the country's best medical schools, and subsequent years in one of the country's top pediatric hosptials, I don't really know how to talk to my loved ones about death. I can talk to patients and families, but my own loved ones? Christ. I had the same experience earlier this year with my dad; I heard from his doctor just what he had, I knew it was Capital B Bad, but I didn't really know how to break that to my parents. Luckily, he went quickly. I can only hope that the cat follows suit, passing quietly in her sleep.

So how do you folks talk about the coming death of a loved one with your other loved ones?

And those of you who have euthanized a pet, how did you decide the time was right? (I know this one will come down to me, and she'll be far too upset to decide.)
      3 years ago, one of our family's two cats died (he was 15). It was cancer as well, he just stopped eating and in general became too weak and lethargic. He clearly wasn't enjoying life, we couldn't tell if he was in pain but he was looking way too thin and just...ready. My mom and dad took him to the vet to get his opinion, and he agreed that it was time.

So my mom held him in her arms (he was very much her cat, always cuddling with her) and the vet gave him the shot. He was looking at my mom and his eyes slowly closed, just like in a movie cliche. My mom bawled the rest of the night but she was always insistent she was glad she was there and holding him as he died and knowing he wasn't in any pain at the time.

Our other cat is now 18, but two years ago her liver (? or kidneys, I'm no biologist) failed. The vet gave her a month or two, but she just passed the two year mark of the diagnosis. She gets a subcutaneous injection every two days like clockwork, but other than that she's just a normal cat. It's pretty amazing.

Despite this, her time is approaching. My parents are wrestling with the same decision. Right now, a couple times a month she'll seize. She'll just move to the center of the room, knowingly. She'll then look like she looses balance and falls on her side and seizes violently for a good 30 seconds until she stops. She's then completely out of it for a few minutes, then wanders off to sleep or cuddle.

My parents have agreed if it happens a couple times a week they'll have the conversation with the vet. For now, they still enjoy her company. As she's gotten close to death she's become very, very needy in terms of attention. She'll constantly be underfoot and wanting to snuggle, and it's hard to say no.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

****. I don't want to type this out.
        Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
        "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Cats are SO STUPID. They cannot even keep track of a single word. All of you are an embarrassment to what it means to be a man, which isn't surprising since half of you play Dragon Age: Origins. Nut up, shoot the thing in the head, and let's watch some football. Can the Saints be stopped?
            Last edited by Wiglaf; December 1, 2009, 12:18. Reason: The Colts are going down down

Comment

Is your manhood threatened?

I knew it was time when my 18 year old cat was hurting so bad (and quite blind) and would cry in the middle of the kitchen until someone would carry her to her litter box so she could puke. The only time she seemed not hurting was when she was curled up with me on the couch. Working full time limited this activity. We stayed with her holding her through the procedure. It was heart wrenching, but the hurting was finally over.
              It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

WHEN I WAS A KID I PULLED A THORN OUT OF A LION'S PAW, AND WE BECAME BESTEST FRIENDS. AND THEN ONE DAY SOME FATASS WAS MAKING FUN OF ME FOR HAVING A CAT, AND I SAID, "MORRIS, TIME FOR DIN-DIN," AND THAT WAS ALL SHE WROTE FOR THAT MOTHER****ER!!!11!!!1!!!!111!!!1
                Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
                Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
                One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

Comment

Sorry, Guy (& Gal, obviously).

The best I can come up with is try to gauge the quality of life, and decide on that. Not that it's easy.

My childhood dog was put down, but I was away and my parents made the call. There wasn't much to discuss. He came down with meningitis and there wasn't anything to do. He was in a ton of pain and basically couldn't move anymore. In about 3 days he went from normal to agony and certain death. At least it was quick.

-Arrian
                    grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

That was my experience with a cat that caught distemper when I was a kid.

About three days, but didn't require euthenasia. By the time we realised he needed a vet, he was only a few hours from exiting on his own. Boy that was rough.
                      (\__/)
                      (='.'=)
                      (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher View Post
                        Our other cat is now 18, but two years ago her liver (? or kidneys, I'm no biologist) failed. The vet gave her a month or two, but she just passed the two year mark of the diagnosis. She gets a subcutaneous injection every two days like clockwork, but other than that she's just a normal cat. It's pretty amazing.
                        Probably kidneys. Our cat was diagnosed with kidney failure two or more years before she actually died, and my parents gave her regular medicine that seemed to keep her going strong for quite a bit. Apparently renal failure is one of the most common issues for older cats, since most cats don't consume a lot of water. It's particularly common in cats with dry food diets, as cats rely on wet food for most of their moisture needs.
                        Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Cats are SO STUPID. They cannot even keep track of a single word. All of you are an embarrassment to what it means to be a man, which isn't surprising since half of you play Dragon Age: Origins. Nut up, shoot the thing in the head, and let's watch some football. Can the Saints be stopped?

KH FOR OWNER!
                          ASHER FOR CEO!!
                          GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Time for it to go to the big Chinese restaurant in the sky. RIP
                            Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Korean, PH.
                              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                              Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

No, that's dogs silly
                                Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Working...
                                X