No announcement yet.

The Christian side-hug

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Acuff says "Yes, God wants us to be compassionate and kind and tender with each other. Not only that, but he wants us to love our enemies and serve our neighbors. As long as there is no body on body action. I’m talking of course about a “full frontal hug,” one of those sinful abominations where you just wrap your arms around a friend and embrace them. That’s why Christians the world over have pioneered the “side hug.” In the side hug there’s no risk of two crotches touching. Instead of face to face, you go side to side, putting your arm around the person and your hip against their’s."
    Some notes:
    The backing track is the "The Imperial March". You know, from Star Wars.

Choice Lyric #1 - "I'm a Rough Rider, filled with Christ's love."
    So, the two definitions of "Rough Rider" I've come across are: 1. a ribbed condom; 2. one who prefers bareback. Either way, adding "filled with Christ's love" doesn't help.
    I think they're going after the "thug" notion, but if you're that afraid of frontal contact...

Choice Lyric #2: "I ain't afraid to call yo' mama, you'll be runnin' home with a coma."
    For a song that's supposed to push chastity, they have no problem advocating and glorifying violence against people, especially when the song is interspersed with sirens and gunshots.

Choice Lyric #3: "You ain't no Rabbi, you ain't no Priest, so rise up off me like the [?] with no yeast."
    I'm pretty sure the reason why bread rises is because of yeast.
    B♭3

Comment

"Rough riders" was also the name of Teddy Roosevelt's band of cavalrymen, IIRC. I think the other uses derive from that.

I once tried to be a CIT at a church camp where they encouraged this between counselors and campers of the opposite sex. Not because hugging face-to-face is in any way sinful--campers did that all the time--but because they didn't care to weird out little twelve-year-old girls by having twenty-year-old guys mashed against their boobs or, worse yet, accidentally grabbing their asses. It's a smart move, from a sexual-harassment-prevention perspective.
      1011 1100
      Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

"Rough riders" was also the name of Teddy Roosevelt's band of cavalrymen, IIRC. I think the other uses derive from that.

Oh yeah...

Either way, if you're that chicken**** about frontal contact, you ain't no Rough Rider.
        B♭3

Comment

If you're singing Christian hip-hop then TDR would have likely thwacked you to death.
          <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Jesus never hugged!
            "The world is too small in Vorarlberg". Austrian ex-vice-chancellor Hubert Gorbach in a letter to Alistar [sic] Darling, looking for a job...
            "Let me break this down for you, fresh from algebra II. A 95% chance to win 5 times means a (95*5) chance to win = 475% chance to win." Wiglaf, Court jester or hayseed, you judge.

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
              I once tried to be a CIT at a church camp where they encouraged this between counselors and campers of the opposite sex. Not because hugging face-to-face is in any way sinful--campers did that all the time--but because they didn't care to weird out little twelve-year-old girls by having twenty-year-old guys mashed against their boobs or, worse yet, accidentally grabbing their asses. It's a smart move, from a sexual-harassment-prevention perspective.

What's wrong with the good old-fashioned leaving them the **** alone?
              The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

How would having a directive to have counselors not touch campers be a good thing at all? Especially when camp is suppose to have other components (emotional/spiritual) than just keeping the kids from trouble?

JM
                Jon Miller-
                I AM.CANADIAN
                GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
                  they didn't care to weird out little twelve-year-old girls by having twenty-year-old guys mashed against their boobs or, worse yet, "accidentally" grabbing their asses
                  Fixed
                  12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                  Stadtluft Macht Frei
                  Killing it is the new killing it
                  Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller View Post
                    How would having a directive to have counselors not touch campers be a good thing at all? Especially when camp is suppose to have other components (emotional/spiritual) than just keeping the kids from trouble?

JM
                    This must be some sort of American thing, all that hugging and touching. If some camp lackey had tried making physical contact with me I'd have punched him.
                    The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
                      Fixed
                      We're the one true church. We only "accidentally" grab-ass sixteen and up. Twelve is just gross, no matter how early-blooming.
                      1011 1100
                      Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

I've never been to a camp where councellors hugged the campers under any circumstances.

These guys obviously don't know what they're talking about. Why would the 1900 definition of "Rough Rider" apply? I'm willing to bet none of those guys have ever set foot on Cuba. Obviously they could only mean one of the first two definitions. More likely they've heard the phrase used in some other rap song and copyed it without knowing what it means. I wonder if we could get them to use the word "teabagger".

Oh, and what about front - to - back hugs?
                        "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Working...
                        X