• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flip massacre

WSJ original article

At Least 21 Die in Philippines Attack
    Gunmen Hit Aides and Journalists en Route to File Politician's Candidacy

By JAMES HOOKWAY

Armed men kidnapped and killed at least 21 people in the southern Philippines Monday, carrying out an unprecedented act of violence likely to hang over the country's elections next year.

The midday attack on a convoy of several dozen political supporters and journalists, was an apparent attempt to block the nomination of a local politician planning to run as a provincial governor, the Philippine military said.

The fate of the rest of the convoy -- and the identity of their attackers -- remained unclear. The army's searches in the area, where the political landscape is dominated by clan disputes, haven't turned up any survivors.

The attack foreshadows what could be a difficult six months for the Philippines as it prepares for presidential and regional elections in May. Election-related violence is commonplace in much of the country, especially in the anarchic south, where Islamist separatists, private armies, chieftains and vigilante groups have long competed for power and influence. An abundance of unlicensed firearms adds to the danger, as does the presence of al-Qaeda backed terrorist groups such as Abu Sayyaf and Jemaah Islamiyah.

Monday's killings bear the hallmarks of a political act rather than terrorism -- and, like much political violence in the country, probably have local origins and little to do with the national contest to find a successor to President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo, political analysts said.

Army spokesman Lieutenant Colonel Romeo Brawner told local media that about 40 people traveling in a three-van convoy were abducted by about 100 gunmen while en route to file the election nomination papers of Ismael Mangudadatu, a local vice-mayor in the region. Mr. Mangudadatu had said he was planning to contest the governorship of Maguindanao province against the family of Andal Ampatuan, a previous governor and a powerful clan leader in the region.

Soldiers found 21 bodies, in the area including those of Mr. Mangundadatu's wife, Genalyn Tiamzon-Mangudadatu and several journalists and lawyers traveling with the group. Thirteen of the 21 dead were women, Lt. Col. Brawner said, noting there were signs that some recovered bodies had been mutilated. He added that he feared more bodies would be found.

The Philippines' National Union of Journalists said at least 10 local reporters were part of the Mangudadatu convoy to cover the election nomination and were presumed dead.

"Never in the history of journalism have the news media suffered such a heavy loss of life in one day," the Paris-based media advocacy group Reporters Without Borders said in a statement. "The frenzied violence of thugs working for corrupt politicians has resulted in incomprehensible bloodshed."

The long-running feud between the Mangudadatu and Ampatuan families worsened several months ago when Mr. Mangudadatu declared his intention to run for the governor's job.

Mr. Ampatuan and his aides couldn't be immediately reached for comment, and haven't said anything to the local media.

Mr. Mangudadatu said in a local television interview Monday that he feared being abducted or worse if he registered his candidacy for the gubernatorial post in person, or sent men to do that job.

That was why he sent his wife and other female relatives and aides to do it, Mr. Mangudadatu said, emphasizing that he never imagined anybody would attack them.

In the interview, he said his wife called him on her mobile phone shortly before her abduction to say around 100 armed men had halted the convoy. "Then her line got cut off," he said.

Philippines President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo said that she had ordered top security officials to oversee the military's efforts to track down the killers.

"No effort will be spared to bring justice to the victims and hold the perpetrators accountable to the full limit of the law," Ms. Arroyo said in a statement read by her press secretary, Cerge Remonde.

Registration began last week for national and local elections in May.

More than 17,800 positions will be contested, including half of the Philippines' congressional seats, as well as the presidency. Term limits prevent President Arroyo from seeking re-election after what will be more than nine years in power.

One presidential candidate, Senator Benigno Aquino III, the son of late president Corazon Aquino and assassinated democracy leader Benigno Aquino Jr., has said he fears widespread intimidation and violence during the campaign.

—Josephine Cuneta in Manila contributed to this article.

What the **** is going on? I mean, I know politics can be pretty brutal, but this is something I'd expect in the DRC or Iraq, not the Philippines.
    John Brown did nothing wrong.

OMG! Martyrs!
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

If it turns out that these massacre victims were Welsh then I'll find it a lot easier to take. I ****ing hate the Welsh.
      John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

Insurrection has been an ever present fact of life in the Phillipines for a long time. Its not always news grabing but its always there.
        "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by Felch View Post
          If it turns out that these massacre victims were Welsh then I'll find it a lot easier to take. I ****ing hate the Welsh.
          Since I only know of Tom Jones and MOBIUS, I'd have to agree.
          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Bryn Terfel
            Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

amateurfacials by rabbit

err
              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Originally posted by Asher View Post
                amateurfacials by rabbit

err
                Does that turn you on, Asher?
                If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                ){ :|:& };:

Comment

I only like the professional ones.

Comment

As there are no leather miniskirt-clad rock chicks advertised, I will not be visiting our newest poster's emporium.

Comment

I was about to read the whole post to see if there were any leather miniskirt-clad rock chicks. Thanks for looking through it and letting us know. Saved me the bother.

Comment

As I understand it several provinces are run by large families in an almost mafia like style and if someone challenges them then they frequently end up dead and their supporters attacked. Welcome to "democracy" in the Philippines where it all is a patronage game with violent undertones.
                        Last edited by Dinner; January 21, 2011, 05:22.
                        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Felch View Post
                          WSJ original article

At Least 21 Die in Philippines Attack
                          Gunmen Hit Aides and Journalists en Route to File Politician's Candidacy

By JAMES HOOKWAY

Armed men kidnapped and killed at least 21 people in the southern Philippines Monday, carrying out an unprecedented act of violence likely to hang over the country's elections next year.

The midday attack on a convoy of several dozen political supporters and journalists, was an apparent attempt to block the nomination of a local politician planning to run as a provincial governor, the Philippine military said.

The fate of the rest of the convoy -- and the identity of their attackers -- remained unclear. The army's searches in the area, where the political landscape is dominated by clan disputes, haven't turned up any survivors.

The attack foreshadows what could be a difficult six months for the Philippines as it prepares for presidential and regional elections in May. Election-related violence is commonplace in much of the country, especially in the anarchic south, where Islamist separatists, private armies, chieftains and vigilante groups have long competed for power and influence. An abundance of unlicensed firearms adds to the danger, as does the presence of al-Qaeda backed terrorist groups such as Abu Sayyaf and Jemaah Islamiyah.

Monday's killings bear the hallmarks of a political act rather than terrorism -- and, like much political violence in the country, probably have local origins and little to do with the national contest to find a successor to President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo, political analysts said.

Army spokesman Lieutenant Colonel Romeo Brawner told local media that about 40 people traveling in a three-van convoy were abducted by about 100 gunmen while en route to file the election nomination papers of Ismael Mangudadatu, a local vice-mayor in the region. Mr. Mangudadatu had said he was planning to contest the governorship of Maguindanao province against the family of Andal Ampatuan, a previous governor and a powerful clan leader in the region.

Soldiers found 21 bodies, in the area including those of Mr. Mangundadatu's wife, Genalyn Tiamzon-Mangudadatu and several journalists and lawyers traveling with the group. Thirteen of the 21 dead were women, Lt. Col. Brawner said, noting there were signs that some recovered bodies had been mutilated. He added that he feared more bodies would be found.

The Philippines' National Union of Journalists said at least 10 local reporters were part of the Mangudadatu convoy to cover the election nomination and were presumed dead.

"Never in the history of journalism have the news media suffered such a heavy loss of life in one day," the Paris-based media advocacy group Reporters Without Borders said in a statement. "The frenzied violence of thugs working for corrupt politicians has resulted in incomprehensible bloodshed."

The long-running feud between the Mangudadatu and Ampatuan families worsened several months ago when Mr. Mangudadatu declared his intention to run for the governor's job.

Mr. Ampatuan and his aides couldn't be immediately reached for comment, and haven't said anything to the local media.

Mr. Mangudadatu said in a local television interview Monday that he feared being abducted or worse if he registered his candidacy for the gubernatorial post in person, or sent men to do that job.

That was why he sent his wife and other female relatives and aides to do it, Mr. Mangudadatu said, emphasizing that he never imagined anybody would attack them.

In the interview, he said his wife called him on her mobile phone shortly before her abduction to say around 100 armed men had halted the convoy. "Then her line got cut off," he said.

Philippines President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo said that she had ordered top security officials to oversee the military's efforts to track down the killers.

"No effort will be spared to bring justice to the victims and hold the perpetrators accountable to the full limit of the law," Ms. Arroyo said in a statement read by her press secretary, Cerge Remonde.

Registration began last week for national and local elections in May.

More than 17,800 positions will be contested, including half of the Philippines' congressional seats, as well as the presidency. Term limits prevent President Arroyo from seeking re-election after what will be more than nine years in power.

One presidential candidate, Senator Benigno Aquino III, the son of late president Corazon Aquino and assassinated democracy leader Benigno Aquino Jr., has said he fears widespread intimidation and violence during the campaign.

—Josephine Cuneta in Manila contributed to this article.

What the **** is going on? I mean, I know politics can be pretty brutal, but this is something I'd expect in the DRC or Iraq, not the Philippines.
                          Where you been, in a cave?

Surely you must have heard of the Moro Islamic Liberation Front (AKA MILF )

Your anti-guvmint muslim gun-toting brethren have been shooting up the place for at least 40 years, US special forces have been involved since after the Bali bombing and were actually pretty effective (because they weren't allowed to engage in direct combat and kill friend and foe alike as usually happens!) in some highly publicised operations a few years back.

The US as usual was responsible for sowing the seeds of the insurgency in the south from it's old colony raping imperialist days.

Don't you know anything about the history of your country, Felch?
                          Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand View Post
                            Since I only know of Tom Jones and MOBIUS, I'd have to agree.
                            That's cos being pig**** ignorant and Texan go hand in hand.
                            Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

Exactly. There's Catatonia as well
                              Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Working...
                              X