X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• YouTube to support 1080p HD

YouTube To Support 1080p HD Videos
    Associated Press, Nov 13 2009, 6:20 AM ET

LOS ANGELES (AP) - YouTube says starting next week it will support the same high-resolution video that can now be seen on flat screen TVs.

The online video unit of Google Inc. said Thursday it will support video playback in the full high-definition format known as 1080p, upgrading from the current 720p.

After engineers tested its system, YouTube spokesman Chris Dale said the company is not worried about infrastructure problems or higher costs associated with supporting bulkier files.

Videos uploaded from regular users will still have a 10-minute limit, although the maximum file size will likely get a boost from 2 gigabytes.

Videos that had already been uploaded at 1080p will be automatically re-encoded to play back at the higher resolution.
    So GoogleTube is incorporating another significant upgrade without adding subscription fees to access it.
    I must admit, I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop.
    Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
    RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Great stuff from Google. They've got massive pipes, so they want to use them, I guess. Would like to see the time limit removed, however.
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

And Flash 10.1 is adding graphics-card acceleration for Flash videos on Windows, and massively improves the speed of video playback for Macs.

Watching Flash movies on OS X is ridiculous currently, even in 480p.

Downside is YouTube is testing pre-roll, 10s ads which I can't stand.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Ah, the other shoe.
        Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
        RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Working...
        X