Yo, KH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yo, KH

I didn't know where else to go with this, and given your past comments on patent reform I figured you'd know the answer (plus be interested enough to respond). So I'm jotting down critiques about a law review submission about the SCOTUS' upcoming landmark decision in In re Bilski, in which the appellate court overruled State Street Bank v. Signature Financial Group to finally make clear that processes which are not implemented by some machine and don't transform the state of an article, i.e. 1) many software designs and 2) virtually all business/finance methodologies, are categorically not patentable.

The author contends that this doesn't stifle innovation because it simply pushes those categories into the complementary protections of the Uniform Trade Secrets Act (UTSA) at the state level, and a principal basis for this argument is the utter BAM that reverse engineering won't eviscerate these protections because 1) DRM technology delays reverse engineering long enough for the innovator to obtain a decisive competitive advantage, and 2) outsiders' reverse engineering of business methodologies (like Bilski's commodity hedging technique) would be "impossible."

Now I know #1 is bull****, but #2 made me curious - are you aware of any math hotshots like yourself whose job is largely to sit and monitor trades, lending, or other transactions by competitors solely to infer just how said competitors' own internal risk analysis works, i.e. essentially "reverse engineer" their business methods, thereby circumventing the UTSA? My first instinct is of course since wherever there's an incentive there's somebody profiting off of it, but I can't find any specific examples to point to.

That aside, what's your overall take on Bilski at a glance? Does it concern you at all that most of your work product at GS will now be without IP protection?
    Unbelievable!

Now I know #1 is bull****, but #2 made me curious - are you aware of any math hotshots like yourself whose job is largely to sit and monitor trades, lending, or other transactions by competitors solely to infer just how said competitors' own internal risk analysis works, i.e. essentially "reverse engineer" their business methods, thereby circumventing the UTSA? My first instinct is of course since wherever there's an incentive there's somebody profiting off of it, but I can't find any specific examples to point to.

Yes, of course. There are entire funds devoted to that.

It's not really for risk analysis, however; I'm aware of reverse engineering strategy groups for statistical arbitrage and high-freq. trading as well as to play games with index funds (the index funds don't actually buy and hold the entire index; they dynamically manage a smaller representative subset of the index. If too many companies are following similar strats to reproduce the index and somebody can figure this out then there is money to be made)

Also, thank God somebody's overturned State Street. That was a ridiculous decision...
    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

There's one black-box fund run by some physicists in London (?) that I think booked 16 billion in 2007 based off of index fund games. Can't remember their name.
      Stadtluft Macht Frei
      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
        Yes, of course. There are entire funds devoted to that.

It's not really for risk analysis, however; I'm aware of reverse engineering strategy groups for statistical arbitrage and high-freq. trading as well as to play games with index funds (the index funds don't actually buy and hold the entire index; they dynamically manage a smaller representative subset of the index. If too many companies are following similar strats to reproduce the index and somebody can figure this out then there is money to be made)

...There's one black-box fund run by some physicists in London (?) that I think booked 16 billion in 2007 based off of index fund games. Can't remember their name
        Thank you sir; throwing in those vectors googled just what I need.

Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
        Also, thank God somebody's overturned State Street. That was a ridiculous decision...
        Out of curiosity, what are your reasons to think so? The impact on innovation, or just the fact that its standard is no standard at all, or something else?
        Unbelievable!

Comment

The impact on innovation, the impossibility of enforcing it, the incentives for rent-seeking behaviour,...
          Stadtluft Macht Frei
          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Working...
          X