No announcement yet.

Cincinnati atheist billboard taken down after threats against property owner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cincinnati atheist billboard taken down after threats against property owner

Stay in the know. Get the latest Cincinnati news, weather and sports from the team at Ohio’s own WLWT.

CINCINNATI -- A billboard in Over-the-Rhine was removed after the owner of the building it was on received threats.

The billboard, which read "Don’t Believe In God? You are not alone," came down early Thursday morning. The United Coalition of Reason had purchased a one-month run on a billboard at Reading Road and 12th Street on Tuesday.

The UCR said it was contacted by Lamar Advertising on Wednesday afternoon and told that the landowner of the site had been threatened over the billboard's message and wanted it taken down.

Unlike other billboard locations, Lamar only leased the land the billboard was on.

"We weren't given the landowner's identity or precise details," Fred Edwords, national director of the UCR, said in a news release. "Nor did we pursue them. It was sufficient to learn that multiple, significant threats had been received and that Lamar would act quickly to alleviate the problem."

The new location off the Sixth Street viaduct is owned by Lamar and isn't subject to landowner restrictions.

The billboards have gone up in 14 cities so far, with plans to expand to 20 cities. Representatives with the UCR said this is the only billboard that has had to be moved.

"It's unfortunate that some believe in freedom of speech, as long as it's what they're saying," said John Welte of the Free Inquiry Group, which is part of the UCR.
    atheist billboards should be allowed
    11.11%
    atheist billboards should [b]not[/b] be allowed
    2.08%
    atheist billboards are offensive and/or stupid
    6.94%
    christian billboards should be allowed
    8.33%
    christian billboards should [b]not[/b] be allowed
    4.86%
    christian billboards are offensive and/or stupid
    6.94%
    muslim billboards should be allowed
    7.64%
    muslim billboards should [b]not[/b] be allowed
    5.56%
    muslim billboards are offensive and/or stupid
    6.94%
    jewish billboards should be allowed
    9.03%
    jewish billboards should [b]not[/b] be allowed
    4.17%
    jewish billboards are offensive and/or stupid
    6.94%
    [insert other religion here] billboards should be allowed
    8.33%
    [insert other religion here] billboards should [b]not[/b] be allowed
    4.86%
    [insert other religion here] billboards are offensive and/or stupid
    6.25%
    <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

WWJD

Comment

Smite heathens, evidently.

Comment

Originally posted by loinburger View Post
        Smite heathens, evidently.
        I was under the impression God was over that phase when he raped Mary.

Comment

All billboards should be allowed. All billboards are stupid.
          Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

It shouldn't be allowed on land he doesn't own, if the owner doesn't want it.
            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

The pertinent issue isn't that the owner didn't want it, it's that he didn't want it because people threatened him over it.
              Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

It says the man leasing was threatened. It doesn't say by who. I contend it was the owner. Now what?
                Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Chances Slowwy is saying something ****ing retarded: 100%
                  12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                  Stadtluft Macht Frei
                  Killing it is the new killing it
                  Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand View Post
                    It says the man leasing was threatened. It doesn't say by who. I contend it was the owner. Now what?
                    Now you should try having somebody read the story to you, as you're apparently incapable of reading it to yourself and understanding it. Maybe the reader can translate it into monosyllabic words for you (though "billboard" and "atheist" may pose difficulties).

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand View Post
                      What the **** are you talking about? It was the LANDOWNER who received the threats:

The UCR said it was contacted by Lamar Advertising on Wednesday afternoon and told that the landowner of the site had been threatened over the billboard's message and wanted it taken down.
                      The threats were anonymous.

You thought that the landowner made threats to the person leasing the board on his land? What the hell sense would that make?
                      Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Argh. I knew I was right.
                        12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                        Stadtluft Macht Frei
                        Killing it is the new killing it
                        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I apologize for quoting him, but he wouldn't have understood that he was being addressed had I not done so.

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
                            Argh. I knew I was right.
                            I'm beginning to think Drake is, too...
                            Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

As I've said to Sloww countless times:

Reading is fundamental.
                              "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                              "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Working...
                              X