How I Met Your Mother

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How I Met Your Mother

Is this show some sort of commentary on the how the sitcom format, even with a cast of people who manage to be funny in other contexts, is utterly unsalvageable?
    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

I've never watched How I Met Your Mother, but it's apparently the 18th best TV show of the decade, according to hipsters.

Pop culture obsessives writing for the pop culture obsessed.
    KH FOR OWNER!
    ASHER FOR CEO!!
    GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

I just watched it for the first time, on demand, at 2am while coding

My thought process went something like "it's got NPH, the guy from I Love You, Man and the skanky ***** from American Pie; how bad could it be?"

Let's just say that I was surprised by the answer.
      Stadtluft Macht Frei
      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I'd never seen the guy from I Love You, Man in anything until I watched I Love You, Man, but he's apparently been in some of the best TV shows of the decade, according to hipsters.
        KH FOR OWNER!
        ASHER FOR CEO!!
        GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Other than The Wire, Mad Men and The Office(s) I haven't seen any of those shows.

He was in Forgetting Sarah Marshall, which was more creepy and sad than funny.
          Stadtluft Macht Frei
          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I've only seen an episode of 6 out of the 30.

edit: Sorry, seven. Arrested Development, Lost, The US Office, 30 Rock, Futurama, Firefly, Flight of the Conchords.
            Last edited by Drake Tungsten; November 12, 2009, 06:42.
            KH FOR OWNER!
            ASHER FOR CEO!!
            GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

How I Met Your Mother is quite good. I've laughed my ass off quite a few times. But some episodes are dull. Perhaps you got one of those.
              Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
              I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
              Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

I like it. I Tivo it and Big Bang Theory and watch them back to back.
                Monkey!!!

Comment

I watch it so that I can scream "Hey, NPH is gay in real life, he's not allowed to play a heterosexual on television!!!!!"
                  <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

How I Met Your Mother is like most sitcoms. 1 in 4 is good and the rest leave you shaking your head wondering what drugs the writers were taking that day. A good sitcom is 2 in 4, and a great sitcom is 3 in 4.
                    It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Neil Patrick Harris' awesomeness is the only reason to ever watch HIMYM. I do enjoy the concept of him as an unapologetic, successful womanizer. And I used to lust for Alyson Hannigan back when whe was Willow on Buffy.

Yet even with two cast members I really like, I never watch this show. Ergo, it must suck.
                      Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                      RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

HIMYM

Like Japher, I do DVR it and usually watch it with the BBT.
                        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
                          Is this show some sort of commentary on the how the sitcom format, even with a cast of people who manage to be funny in other contexts, is utterly unsalvageable?

Just curious but which show did you see or did you see several. I had enjoyed this show in prior seasons but this year not so much. Just last night I watched the episode from Monday and it had to be the least funny episode ever-- (Neal Patrick in a fat suit) Hell I am Canadian but its like the writers figured they had Alan Thicke stopping by so there was no need for any jokes.

To your question- no its not a commentary and I also reject your base premise that the sitcom is unsalvageable (while admitting I still like a Seinfeld erun over most sitcoms out there today AND mainly watch dramas
                          You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

It was an episode about a list of things people weren't supposed to do any more when they got old. The only vaguely funny part was I Love You Man's Murtoch impression (even that was somewhat ruined by the unfunny supposed future censorship of the 4 letter synonym for feces)
                            Stadtluft Macht Frei
                            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

It's Friends, but tries to be more absurd, I think. The narration is really grating.

Neil Patrick Harris has his moments, but his character in Harold and Kumar... was better.

Comment

Working...
                              X