No announcement yet.

Climate Change models

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Climate models have been wrong so much on predictions, that the little they get right seems like the stopped clock effect.
    Gaius Mucius Scaevola Sinistra
    Japher: "crap, did I just post in this thread?"
    "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
    From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Comment

Did I correctly interpret it?

Yes. The reason for the "initialization" bit is that the conservation equations for a fluid are extremely sensitive to initial conditions (are "nonlinear"). When you increase the resolution by going from climate to weather, you have to be very careful when specifying the initial conditions.
      "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
      -Bokonon

Comment

Originally posted by Felch View Post
        Did I correctly interpret it?
        Yes.
        12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
        Stadtluft Macht Frei
        Killing it is the new killing it
        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Well I'm happy to know that I can parse a sentence of scientific writing.

As to why I think it's badly written, it mostly comes down to aesthetics. Short words are better than long words. Jargon is fine as long as it's necessary, but my eyes glaze over looking at page after page of big words like that. It reminded me of proofreading papers for the science majors at college. It's not exactly gibberish, but it's certainly tiring to read that sort of writing. It makes my eyes burn and my mind turn to mud.
          John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Felch View Post
            It makes my eyes burn and my mind turn to mud.
            That would be the LSD.
            "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
            "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Yeah, stick to tabs and at least your eyes won't burn.
              Monkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller View Post
                One of the central issues is a lack of data. This is actually common in observational science.

JM
                Yes and no. Its true that it would be good with more data - especially historical, but the real problem is that measured data doesn't match the models.
                With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Working...
                X