Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why Are Bullet Dimensions Not Round Numbers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Are Bullet Dimensions Not Round Numbers?

Say, 5.56 mm or 7.62 mm. Why isn't it 5.5 or 5 mm? Or 7.6 mm?

Often when you encounter weird dimensions in the metric system
    it is the result of some English or US measurement which became
    the international standard. It sounds sensible in inches and a little
    bit odd in centimeters.

However, trying to trace back bullet dimensions to their imperial
    origins I discovered that those too are weird. 7.62 mm corresponds
    to caliber .308, but why is that one not .300?

You could say that during the trials they discovered that a bullet
    with diameter of some size has the best properties, but given how
    far back all this goes I am skeptical about that. Could it be because
    machining tools or lathes available 300 years ago had some peculiar
    limitations?

This keeps me awake at nights, so I'd greatly appreciate light being
    shed on the topic.

These are so-called lines ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Line_(length) ), tenths of an inch. So 7.62 is supposed to be 0.3, but different cartridges of similar calibre have often slightly different diameters. If you develop a new cartridge with a new length and internal structure, why care about the perfectly equal diameter?
    Graffiti in a public toilet
    Do not require skill or wit
    Among the **** we all are poets
    Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

7.62 mm corresponds to caliber .308

No.
      12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
      Stadtluft Macht Frei
      Killing it is the new killing it
      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

7.62 mm by 51 mm is a .308. .308 Winchester is roughly the same as the 7.62 NATO. So he's partially right.
        John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

I'd always assumed that it was the gun barrels that were bored out (or whatever) to an exact width, while the bullets were slightly narrower so they'd fit in. Maybe a 9mm bullet is meant to fit in a gun with a muzzle exactly one centimeter wide, while a .45 barrel is pretty much a perfect half-inch. Or maybe not; I never really gave it much thought.
          1011 1100
          Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by Felch View Post
            7.62 mm by 51 mm is a .308. .308 Winchester is roughly the same as the 7.62 NATO. So he's partially right.
            Then somebody needs to work on their math. 7.62/25.4 = 0.300
            12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
            Stadtluft Macht Frei
            Killing it is the new killing it
            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Depends on the calculator you use. I am using a solar powered calculator and get 0.306, but Google calculator chops it off at 0.3. I am never using Google Calculator again. You get what you pay for.

Comment

25.4 * 0.3 = 7.5 + .12 = 7.62

Looks right to me. 0.300
                <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Blood comes out better in increments.
                  Monkey!!!

Comment

7.62 mm = 0.30 in, 7.65 mm = 0.31 in, yet the 7.62x57 and 7.65x53 slugs can actually be used almost interchangeably.

.30 carbine, 30-06, .300, .301, .303, .307 and .308 are all much the same in diameter, they are given different names by convention. Some were originally designated by the size of the bullet itself (I think this is the case for the .308). Some were originally designated by the intended barrel design across the lands, which is necessarily smaller than the bullet size. That may be the case for the .303. The 30-06 was named for the 1906 Winchester rifle for which it was designed.

When bullets are made of different materials by the same manufacturer (simple lead ball vs copper jacketed) the bullet size is slightly different to get the same ballistic performance despite the difference in the way the metal will register in the rifling. Each manufacturer's bullets may be of slightly different size, and match shooters will swear this round works better with this rifle make but not with another rifle make, etc.
                    (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
                    (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
                    (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

Essentially the .30 caliber rifle bullet came first, so the 7.62 mm was made for the sake of interchangeability. Likewise the M-16 used a .23 caliber bullet so countires using the metric system developed the 5.56 mm bullet.
                      "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Wasn't the garand rifle designed with 7.62 as standard ? I might be wrong, but I think that that rifle was the prime course of using 7.62 as standard.
                        With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

30-06 was the standard when the garand was designed (between mid 20's to mid 30's). 7.62 NATO was developed in 1950's and adopted by the US for use with the M14.
                          I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Originally posted by VetLegion View Post
                            Say, 5.56 mm or 7.62 mm. Why isn't it 5.5 or 5 mm? Or 7.6 mm?

Often when you encounter weird dimensions in the metric system
                            it is the result of some English or US measurement which became
                            the international standard. It sounds sensible in inches and a little
                            bit odd in centimeters.

However, trying to trace back bullet dimensions to their imperial
                            origins I discovered that those too are weird. 7.62 mm corresponds
                            to caliber .308, but why is that one not .300?

You could say that during the trials they discovered that a bullet
                            with diameter of some size has the best properties, but given how
                            far back all this goes I am skeptical about that. Could it be because
                            machining tools or lathes available 300 years ago had some peculiar
                            limitations?

This keeps me awake at nights, so I'd greatly appreciate light being
                            shed on the topic.
                            I would say the round number might be the weight of the bullet, not the diameter.
                            Without being an expert, I'd say that the weight of a projectile determines the amount of powder you'll need.

So I guess, 300 years ago, people made bullets of a given weight.
                            The caliber was only a consequence.

What is the diameter of a sphere of X gram/ounce/grain of lead?
                            The books that the world calls immoral are the books that show the world its own shame. Oscar Wilde.

Comment

Originally posted by Dry View Post
                              What is the diameter of a sphere of X gram/ounce/grain of lead?
                              X gram of lead has a volume of (0.088)X cubic centimeters.

A sphere with this volume has diameter (0.552)X^(1/3) centimeters (X^(1/3) is the cubic root of X).

Comment

Working...
                              X