Are they not appropriate options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are they not appropriate options

I don't post here often, just wanted to get some feedback around all the trolls.

Got two questions, let me know what your thoughts are on the situations.

1. Every year me and the cowgirl get 2 kid's names from the angel tree (a Salvation Army program that helps get Xmas presents to unfortunate children). We generally spend between $50-100 on each kid. This year I was able to grab two "stubs" (with the kid's names on them, sizes, and their wish lists) from work. I usually get the boy's gifts, and my wife the girl's. I noticed that my boy (age 10) wants an MP3 player and needs boots. Sorry for the long lead in, but here is the dilemma. I have an old ipod mini that I no longer use. I never used the Apple ear buds that came with my touch, and it has a case and all the accessories, just not the original box. So is it wrong for me to re-gift this and spend the money saved on buying another MP3 player to get other items for the lad.

2. My company is sponsoring a walk for St. Jude's hospital. I am participating, but I'll probably be the only person to donate for me (have not hit the out-of-town relatives up yet). I can't hit people up at work, and most of my friends also work there. Hence would it be inappropriate for me to ask for donations from the forum crowd here?
    We're sorry, the voices in my head are not available at this time. Please try back again soon.

1 sounds like a perfectly good idea to me. He's not going to care, as long as the battery still works well (5+ hours battery life, I guess?). Just remove the music on it and disassociate it from your account (or he'll be disappointed when the music goes away the first time he hooks it up to iTunes).

2. Not inappropriate at all in my mind. We're your friends too
    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

These programs don't help the kids. They help the kid's bum ass welfare parents spend more money on cocaine because they don't need to get their kid a gift. Besides, who can remember Christmas presents they got when they were 8 years old, anyway? According to a home video I apparently received a box of condoms for Christmas when I was seven and my dad laughed all day. Who knew.

And because I am sickened by you donating money for a child luxury item when millions of them are starving, I just wanted to clarify that you are not my friend. Go listen to "Christmas Shoes" by the dreadful musicians NewSong. I am all out of time for your distractions

Comment

1. I'm conflicted leaning toward inappropriate.

2. That would be fine, although (a) you would have to then give your real life name; and (b) Poly is now Googleable.
        I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

SC, you're a terrible person.
          “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
          "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by DanS View Post
            1. I'm conflicted leaning toward inappropriate.

Why?
            I don't know why he saved my life. Maybe in those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before. Not just his life - anybody's life, my life. All he'd wanted were the same answers the rest of us want. Where did I come from? Where am I going? How long have I got? All I could do was sit there and watch him die.

Comment

1. It seems cheap, yes. If you are having misgivings are you going to be reassured by a response here?
              2. Fine by me. Everything goes here, anyway.

Comment

1. If you can get better boots for the kid because you saved money on the mp3 player, I don't see any problems here.

2. There's a poly house overseas so I don't see any difference here.
                It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

1. I think it would be fine if you explain it in a card or something so the kid doesn't think he's getting hand-me-downs. I wouldn't spend the entire amount on the boots though, and would at least split out like $20 for an itunes gift card or something.

2. Didn't read it, attention span got taken by 1.
                  Monkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Nugog View Post
                    Why?
                    You are adopting the child for the purposes of the gift. Would he regift an iPod to give to his own child? But to be clear, I'm conflicted.

After thinking about it some, I've concluded that he should just ask the organizers of the event whether gently used is fine. I am sure that they have a policy.

Also, Space should consider the possibility that the gift would be useless to the child, as you need a computer to load songs onto it. Most people have computers, but some poor souls do not.
                    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Actually I would regift for my own child. 2 years ago, I regifted my old xbox and all my xbox games to my nephew. It went over well.

I was considering the fact that he did not have access to a computer as well. (But it is on his wish list) Was thinking about just loading a bunch of music on the ipod before regifting. Plus he is likely a young kid in a bad neighborhood; have to wonder if the "thugs" would let him keep it if he went outside.
                      We're sorry, the voices in my head are not available at this time. Please try back again soon.

Comment

Every time we did it, there was a number available to contact the parents for specifics...
                        1011 1100
                        Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

The parents would probably tell you fine on the regift but put the saved money towards a fifth for mommy
                          It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Well aren't you the classy one...
                            1011 1100
                            Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Working...
                            X