Question for economics gurus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for economics gurus

So I'm on my way back from the gym and listening to Glenn Beck for the 10 min or so (music stations here suck).

The topic is inflation and he noted that in the 70's that the fed raised the interest rate to 20% in order to counter the inflationary effects of a 13% increase in the money supply.

He also stated that the current fed has increased the money supply by 120% over the last year in order to stabilize the banks etc. His concern is that if that money doesnt get sucked back in by the fed that it will lead to staggering inflation and/or crippling interest rates.

So what do y'all think? Yes, no, maybe, or total bull****?
    We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
    If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
    Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Reaganomics... Control inflation by reducing the money supply.

IMO, supply-side economics relies on a stable economy, or at least one with a lot less problems. Without a stimulus somewhere it won't really matter what is done.

Though I'm no economic guru and could be completely wrong.
    Monkey!!!

Comment

Books on tape
      <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Books on Tape will now be called "Books"

and

What we currently refer to as books will now be called "Books on paper"
        Monkey!!!

Comment

It's Glenn Beck. Pretty much guarantees 'total bull****'.

From what I've seen, inflation isn't a significant concern right now. In fact, lack of money supply is a big part of the problem right now... increasing the money supply is one of the ways they've increased the availability of credit.

The Greenspan Fed was pretty good at controlling inflation. I don't know much about the current Fed's differences from Greenspan, but I think they have a pretty good idea of what needs to be done to control inflation.

I also don't for a second believe a 120% increase in any particular money supply (there are several). The M-2 money supply is around $8 trillion, and increasing it by 120% would be somewhat insane. (See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Co...ey_supply2.svg for an example graph, current as of july 2009.)
          <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
          I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Japher, that's always how the fed controls inflation. They manipulate interest rates, which changes the money supply

Spencer, the reason that the fed has increased the money supply so much is that the banks (and others) have deleveraged greatly over the past little while, while monetary velocity dropped like a rock. As those conditions begin to reverse themselves the fed will increase interest rates, decreasing the money supply and attempting to maintain the US on a relatively stable inflation path. This problem is what's become referred to as the fed's "exit strategy". Luckily, the fed has all the tools it needs to do this in a relatively responsive way. I wouldn't be surprised if they under- or over-shoot slightly, due to the scale of the disruption, but in general it will be handled quietly and effectively.

The real problem in the 70s was that there was such high inflation for so long that inflation EXPECTATIONS had gone way up. People expected prices to increase, so they increased their own prices. To reverse these expectations, the Fed had to take drastic steps. Inflation expectations are nowhere near where they were. In fact, the US is still teetering on the brink of deflation.

This brings up the idea of one reason why deflation is a more troubling effect than inflation; there is a lower bound to interest rates, namely 0% (if you attempt to reduce it below that people simply move into cash, which returns 0%). The fed is impotent, using standard open market operations, to counter deflation when interest rates are at 0%. There is no such problem on the upside.

EDIT: meant "interest", had written "inflation"
            Last edited by KrazyHorse; October 28, 2009, 07:22.
            12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
            Stadtluft Macht Frei
            Killing it is the new killing it
            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

snoopy, the question of "what money supply" is indeed important. Banks deleveraging reduce the multiple M2/M0

M0 might well have increased by 120% (I don't even know if they still publish M0 statistics; M1 and M2 are much more widely used measures). This is a simple statement about banks deleveraging, topping off their reserves etc. It simply doesn't matter that much.

EDIT: yep, it's M0

Stadtluft Macht Frei
              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
                Japher, that's always how the fed controls inflation. They manipulate interest rates, which changes the money supply

Spencer, the reason that the fed has increased the money supply so much is that the banks (and others) have deleveraged greatly over the past little while, while monetary velocity dropped like a rock. As those conditions begin to reverse themselves the fed will increase interest rates, decreasing the money supply and attempting to maintain the US on a relatively stable inflation path. This problem is what's become referred to as the fed's "exit strategy". Luckily, the fed has all the tools it needs to do this in a relatively responsive way. I wouldn't be surprised if they under- or over-shoot slightly, due to the scale of the disruption, but in general it will be handled quietly and effectively.

The real problem in the 70s was that there was such high inflation for so long that inflation EXPECTATIONS had gone way up. People expected prices to increase, so they increased their own prices. To reverse these expectations, the Fed had to take drastic steps. Inflation expectations are nowhere near where they were. In fact, the US is still teetering on the brink of deflation.

This brings up the idea of one reason why deflation is a more troubling effect than inflation; there is a lower bound to interest rates, namely 0% (if you attempt to reduce it below that people simply move into cash, which returns 0%). The fed is impotent, using standard open market operations, to counter deflation when inflation rates are at 0%. There is no such problem on the upside.
                Right on the money, no pun intended. You can increase money supply all you want but if it isn't going anywhere, so what?
                "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Meanwhile, M1 has only increased by ~15% and M2 by ~6%

The point is that the restrictive measures of the money supply are meaningless for inflation.
                  Stadtluft Macht Frei
                  Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by MRT144 View Post
                    Right on the money, no pun intended. You can increase money supply all you want but if it isn't going anywhere, so what?
                    Actually, changes in monetary velocity (defined for money supply M2, as it usually is) are much less important than is the ratio M2/M0 (leverage of banks)

The former changes appreciably during dislocations, but not as dramatically as leverage.
                    Stadtluft Macht Frei
                    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

This brings up the idea of one reason why deflation is a more troubling effect than inflation; there is a lower bound to interest rates, namely 0% (if you attempt to reduce it below that people simply move into cash, which returns 0%). The fed is impotent, using standard open market operations, to counter deflation when inflation rates are at 0%. There is no such problem on the upside.
                      While not knowing what they are, I accept your statement that " the fed has the has all the tools it needs to do this in a relatively responsive way". I just wonder whether the feds ability to reduce the money supply in a reasonable fashion takes into account the inflationary pressures due to the prospects for massive deficit spending.
                      We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                      If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                      Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

I would add to KH's post that the Fed has zero practice in removing this magnitude of stimulation. In theory, there's nothing to it. But in reality, the Fed could fvck it up so that we have deflation or inflation. To guard against a possible fvckup into continued deflation, the Fed might accept a few years of elevated inflation.
                        I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

The inflationary pressure due to deficit spending are easily countered by the Fed.

Unfortunately, this is the "bad equilibrium"; the gov't spends too much money and the Fed restricts non-gov't spending to maintain the economy at capacity.
                          Stadtluft Macht Frei
                          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by DanS View Post
                            I would add to KH's post that the Fed has zero practice in removing this magnitude of stimulation. In theory, there's nothing to it. But in reality, the Fed could fvck it up so that we have deflation or inflation. To guard against a possible fvckup into continued deflation, the Fed might accept a few years of elevated inflation.
                            Dan, the upslope generally tends to be gentler than the downslope. I agree that they will err toward inflation, and that's fine with me. In fact, it should be their stated policy (targeting price path rather than instantaneous inflation rate)
                            Stadtluft Macht Frei
                            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Actually, changes in monetary velocity (defined for money supply M2, as it usually is) are much less important than is the ratio M2/M0 (leverage of banks)

The former changes appreciably during dislocations, but not as dramatically as leverage.
                              But the shrieking about money supply is all about money supply without regard to anything but money supply. Money supply.
                              "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                              'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Working...
                              X