Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Query for KH

The rest need not apply.

Krazyhorse. How would you rate your PhD program at JH? Especially as it comes to financial aid.
    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
    "Capitalism ho!"

Financial aid? I pay no tuition and am paid a (very limited) stipend (say ~25k). This is standard for our department. You cannot attend without being supported either by a fellowship, a research assistantship or a teaching assistantship. I have no idea what the situation in other depts. is
    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I see. So I am correct to assume that JH doesn't provide funding for the first two years for a Physics PhD?
      “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
      "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
        Financial aid? I pay no tuition and am paid a (very limited) stipend (say ~25k). This is standard for our department. You cannot attend without being supported either by a fellowship, a research assistantship or a teaching assistantship. I have no idea what the situation in other depts. is
        Then you should have sent a PM.

ACK!
        Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Originally posted by DaShi View Post
          I see. So I am correct to assume that JH doesn't provide funding for the first two years for a Physics PhD?
          ???

They provide funding, in that you're pretty much guaranteed to have a TAship for that long even without trying to start on research. But you have to work in exchange for your support.
          Stadtluft Macht Frei
          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by Tuberski View Post
            Then you should have sent a PM.

ACK!
            Why the **** should I have sent a PM? I didn't start the thread.
            Stadtluft Macht Frei
            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

KH is right, but I can corroborate. it's no easy getting a PhD in physics at Johns Hopkins. (More like jews hopkins). The pay sucks, there's like ten girls buried in the walls of all the labs, and everyone hot is Asian and wants to return the favor visa vee Hiroshima. Don't come here

Comment

Stadtluft Macht Frei
                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Typically in science PhDs you are supported by a training grant for the first couple of years, then by your lab's grants and/or your own earned grants [NSF] thereafter.
                  <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                  I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Why the **** should I have sent a PM? I didn't start the thread.
                    Quoted the wrong post and the edit function is for ****.

ACK!
                    Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Originally posted by Wiglaf View Post
                      KH is right, but I can corroborate. it's no easy getting a PhD in physics at Johns Hopkins. (More like jews hopkins). The pay sucks, there's like ten girls buried in the walls of all the labs, and everyone hot is Asian and wants to return the favor visa vee Hiroshima. Don't come here

I thought you were getting a JD at Georgetown? If only I could be such a jack of all trades...
                      Unbelievable!

Comment

Originally posted by Wiglaf View Post
                        So it's no different than where I am.
                        "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

???

They provide funding, in that you're pretty much guaranteed to have a TAship for that long even without trying to start on research. But you have to work in exchange for your support.
                          I see. Thanks. I've heard through the rumor mill that JH is pretty poor when it comes to financial aid and that you're almost entirely dependent on grants and fellowships.
                          "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Theorists get support for their entire time. Astro and experimentalists have to find somebody to work for who's willing to pay your salary plus tuition.
                            Stadtluft Macht Frei
                            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Theorists get support for their entire life.
                              fixed
                              Monkey!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X