X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No. Keep going.

Comment

I'm lazy tonight. Help me out here.
      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Your observation would be trivially true even if we'd only ever discovered one extrasolar planet.

Comment

I don't know about you, but I feel this was very anticlimactic.
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
          Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

32 "exoplanets" proves %40 of sun like stars have low mass planets?

Comment

Can they "see" Earth-sized planets with current tech?
              I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

I can see one right now.

Comment

Originally posted by MRT144 View Post
                  5-10 times the mass of Jupiter? Holy crap!
                  I remember reading somewhere that Jupiter is a "substar" and an "infra-red dwarf." That is, there's enough heat generated by its internal friction, so that it gives off more heat than it receives from the sun but, it does not generate enough heat to trigger fusion.

Expanding on MRT's comment, if 5-10 times the mass of Jupiter is insufficient to trigger fusion, just how much mass is needed for a gas giant to become a star?

Comment

Originally posted by DanS View Post
                    I'm lazy tonight. Help me out here.
                    I don't know why he saved my life. Maybe in those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before. Not just his life - anybody's life, my life. All he'd wanted were the same answers the rest of us want. Where did I come from? Where am I going? How long have I got? All I could do was sit there and watch him die.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher View Post
                      I don't know about you, but I feel this was very anticlimactic.
                      I have to agree with Asher.

I thought Kuci would point out that it is expected of such discoveries to come in bunch because once you get sufficient technology to detect exo-planets, you find many.

That would have made a lot more sense than what we were actually served

Comment

Originally posted by Berzerker View Post
                        32 "exoplanets" proves %40 of sun like stars have low mass planets?
                        Explain what you think they mean by this and why you think there's a problem with the statement as is.
                        12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                        Stadtluft Macht Frei
                        Killing it is the new killing it
                        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Working...
                        X