Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Germanic environmentalism is on the rise.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Germanic environmentalism is on the rise.

BERLIN (AP) — Part of Berlin's red-light scene is going green.

One bordello, hoping to stave off falling demand in the economic crisis, has begun offering discounts to customers who pedal bicycles to the door.

"It's very difficult to find parking around here, and this option is better for our environment," said Thomas Goetz, who owns the brothel Maison d'Envie, or House of Desire.

Local residents in Prenzlauer Berg — a part of former East Berlin now home to scores of trendy boutiques, restaurants and clubs — had staunchly supported the Green party in recent elections and have welcomed the bordello's offer to emphasize the environment.

The bordellos in the capital of Germany, where prostitution is legal, have seen business suffer with the global financial crisis. Patrons have become more frugal, and there are fewer potential customers coming to the city for business trips and conferences.

But Maison d'Envie has seen its business begin to return since it began offering the euro5 ($7.50) discount in July, Goetz said.

To qualify, customers must show the receptionist either a bicycle padlock key or proof they used public transit to get to the neighborhood. That knocks the price for 45 minutes in a room, for example, to euro65 from euro70.

Those who arrive on foot, however, are out of luck.

"We haven't found a way for people to prove they have walked here," Goetz explained.

Other brothels have tried different incentives to cope with the economic downturn. One Berlin bordello offered a flat-rate for an unlimited time before officials' concerns over prostitutes' rights and cleanliness in the club forced them to rescind the offer.

The 450,000 prostitutes working in Germany, some 10,000 of whom are in Berlin, have the same legal rights and social benefits as people in other professions.

Green whores.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

[Captain Kirk]

Green whores.

[/Captain Kirk]
      Libraries are state sanctioned, so they're technically engaged in privateering. - Felch
      I thought we're trying to have a serious discussion? It says serious in the thread title!- Al. B. Sure

Comment

Woah, wait a minute. Prostitution is legal in Germany? I thought it was only legal in Amsterdam, and parts of Nevada.

Comment

See? Apolyton can be a very educational site.

Last edited by Zkribbler; October 17, 2009, 03:27.

Comment

Originally posted by ShaneWalter View Post
            Woah, wait a minute. Prostitution is legal in Germany? I thought it was only legal in Amsterdam, and parts of Nevada.
            Nope, there are whore houses in just about every city in Germany. Most of the girls are foreigners though.
            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by ShaneWalter View Post
              You need to pay attention to your own country Shane.

In Canada, the current debate revolves around striking provisions that ban solicitation, brothels and living off the avails of prostitution. Three sex workers are challenging the constitutionality of legislation they say contradicts itself, and prevents them from taking simple steps to protect themselves while selling sex, which is legal. The government's position is that prostitution is unsafe no matter where it takes place, and striking laws will only make that worse.

Read latest breaking news, updates, and headlines. National Post offers information on latest national and international events & more.

Prostitution is already legal here. It is reasonable to believe the challenge against soliciting will succeed. Some Toronto councilors are already considering how to licence (and tax) the industry...
              "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
              "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

They already license it.
                (\__/)
                (='.'=)
                (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Indirectly, yes (they licence massage parlours and such).

This would be different.
                  "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                  "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Wezil View Post
                    You need to pay attention to your own country Shane.

In Canada, the current debate revolves around striking provisions that ban solicitation, brothels and living off the avails of prostitution. Three sex workers are challenging the constitutionality of legislation they say contradicts itself, and prevents them from taking simple steps to protect themselves while selling sex, which is legal. The government's position is that prostitution is unsafe no matter where it takes place, and striking laws will only make that worse.

Read latest breaking news, updates, and headlines. National Post offers information on latest national and international events & more.

Prostitution is already legal here. It is reasonable to believe the challenge against soliciting will succeed. Some Toronto councilors are already considering how to licence (and tax) the industry...
                    DAMN! That's hot!

Comment

Working...
                    X