McNaughton, Jesus and the US Constitution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• McNaughton, Jesus and the US Constitution

Jon McNaughton is a painter from Utah and this is his last work, titled "One Nation Under God", in which he portrays Jesus holding the US Constitution and surrounded by historical figures and some symbolic figures representing archetypes (the soldier, the farmer etc.)

In the site I linked, if you move the mouse over the figures, you'll find the artist's explanation about each one of them and why he included it in the painting.

The funny thing is that the people to the right of Jesus are the "good guys" (the farmer, the minister, the school teacher), while the people to his left are the "evil ones" (the lawyer, the Hollywood producer, the college teacher hoarding his copy of "The Origin of The Species"... plus Mr. Satan himself! Very amusing.

Well, it didn't take long before his work was "enriched" with some alternative explanations...

Here's the original pic for the lazy ones...

Last edited by Alex; October 14, 2009, 00:04.
    I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Lincoln is on the correct side.

Actually, this left and right side explanation can't be true. There are too many contradictions.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

<p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

The good side vs. bad side only applies to the symbolic folks at the bottom, not the historical figures. They are all assumed to be good. Note he did add Kennedy in there as well, so... at least the tinsiest bit-non-partisan. Overall not as bad as I was expecting and the mouseover closeup thing on the website is actually pretty cool from a technical aspect.
        Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

I'll agree that it's a cool site in it's set up.
          Last edited by SlowwHand; October 14, 2009, 00:15.
          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Comment

Sorry, no bubblegum.
              I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

It's a clever concept, but for my taste, a little too much like the song "God is an American," in the political satire Red, White and Maddox.

Comment

The frightening part is how quickly loin posted those pictures.
                  I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                  I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

We had been discussing the subject on the tainted furry diaper dickgirl pizza fetish forum. The first Cthulhu picture is originally from the somethingawful forums, I'm not sure where the They Live / Cthulhu picture is from.

Comment

more soldiers on the left

Comment

Jon McNaughton is showing disrespect for Jesus Christ with that painting.
                        A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Look at the evil pregnant lady!
                          Monkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by loinburger View Post

Libraries are state sanctioned, so they're technically engaged in privateering. - Felch
                            I thought we're trying to have a serious discussion? It says serious in the thread title!- Al. B. Sure

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler View Post
                              It's a clever concept, but for my taste, a little too much like the song "God is an American," in the political satire Red, White and Maddox.
                              Except that everybody knows that God is a Brazilian.
                              I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

Working...
                              X