Obama says will end 'don't ask, don't tell' policy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten View Post

No, it won't. The Dems can just kill it in committee.
    Because we all know ideas killed in committee never, ever make the news. Kinda like that public option thing I heard rumors about but could never find on the front page. Oh, wait.

Anyway, we'll never know because Obama will never grow a sack in the first place. Oh well...
    Unbelievable!

Comment

Darius. There is zero chance that Pelosi would allow DADT II to pass. There are ~180 House Dems publicly committed to repealing DADT. After hearings and Obama weighing in (i.e. through an executive order), that number definitely goes up. Then there's the filibuster. And Obama would veto.

The most likely situation is that DADT gets repealed by Congress early next year. Levin has committed to hearings this year in the Armed Services Committee.
      "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
      -Bokonon

Comment

Because we all know ideas killed in committee never, ever make the news.

Yes, I'm sure the media will go out of its way to help the GOP by publicizing an anti-gay bill that dies quietly in committee.

The most likely situation is that DADT gets repealed by Congress early next year.

With 2010 shaping up to be a Dem bloodbath? Not bloody likely...
        KH FOR OWNER!
        ASHER FOR CEO!!
        GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

DADT is very unpopular. It's not a hard lift.
          "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
          -Bokonon

Comment

Then why haven't they repealed it already?
            KH FOR OWNER!
            ASHER FOR CEO!!
            GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

It still takes time and political capital. They're imposing policy on the armed forces, institutions with which they have little trust. DADT isn't as high on Congressional Dems' priority list as certain other things, so they're putting it off.
              -Bokonon

Comment

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten View Post
                Because we all know ideas killed in committee never, ever make the news.

Yes, I'm sure the media will go out of its way to help the GOP by publicizing an anti-gay bill that dies quietly in committee.
                And we've never witnessed the media dragged kicking and screaming to stories it'd rather sweep under the rug (teabaggers, townhallers, etc.)? The righties' talent for manufactured controversy has never ceased to amaze me.
                Unbelievable!

Comment

List of the 177 cosponsors of legislation repealing DADT. Note the presence of several Blue Dogs (including the guy shepherding the legislation through the House).

Not a lot of pieces of legislation get that kind of reception, months in advance of any vote. I'll be shocked if it doesn't happen by next year.
                  Last edited by Ramo; October 12, 2009, 15:54.
                  -Bokonon

Comment

Originally posted by Darius871 View Post
                    And we've never witnessed the media dragged kicking and screaming to stories it'd rather sweep under the rug (teabaggers, townhallers, etc.)? The righties' talent for manufactured controversy has never ceased to amaze me.
                    Yeah, the media sure was all over Van Jones, ACORN, etc.
                    KH FOR OWNER!
                    ASHER FOR CEO!!
                    GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

They WERE all over ACORN. Both recently and during the election.
                      I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                      I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Originally posted by rah View Post
                        It's really time for him to step up to the plate and do something instead of just talking about it.
                        QFT.

Hmm, at least that's one thing Obama has accomplished -- getting Rah and me to agree on a political topic.
                        Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                        RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

yep

But I will admit that by the end of his term he will probably accomplish something.
                          It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

They WERE all over ACORN. Both recently and during the election.

I guess Jon Stewart was wrong for making fun of the media for not being all over ACORN, then.
                            KH FOR OWNER!
                            ASHER FOR CEO!!
                            GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

That was after the the most recent scandal, asking why they didn't investigate ACORN earlier.
                              I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                              I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Working...
                              X