Investment advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Investment advice

I've done a pretty decent job with my penny stock trading on thinkorswim. My cash is where I started (~$270), and I've got some investments in mining and oil that I'm holding on to until the market for commodities turns. However, I'm interested in simplifying and reducing risk.

Any nominations for best index fund that I can get into?
    John Brown did nothing wrong.

I've got my long-term shizznit in a generic mutual fund (Vanguard Asset Allocation Fund Investor Shares) and short-term shizznit in a money market fund.
    <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Does Vanguard have a minimum investment amount? I've only got 270 dollars liquid, so I'm looking for something where I can buy shares on the market. I bought SPY, but I'm interested in other options.

Comment

I don't know, I've never tried investing 270 dollars.

Comment

Well, it's all I got to spend. In cases like this we have to ask ourselves, WWWTD?

Chappelle's Show
          Wu-Tang Financial
          www.comedycentral.com
          Buy Chappelle's Show DVDsBlack ComedyTrue Hollywood Story

Comment

Put it in a money market fund, it'll still be more-or-less liquid and you may keep pace with inflation. (Make sure it's a money market fund, not a money market account.)

Comment

**** that noise. I'm gonna keep it gangster.

Comment

I'd post a chart with gold's YTD increase, or its 5 year chart, or those charts adjusted for dollar depreciation, but I have a feeling you want 'conventional' advice.
                "Wait a minute..this isn''t FAUX dive, it's just a DIVE!"
                "...Mangy dog staggering about, looking vainly for a place to die."
                "sauna stories? There are no 'sauna stories'.. I mean.. sauna is sauna. You do by the laws of sauna." -P.

Comment

Originally posted by loinburger View Post
                  I don't know, I've never tried investing 270 dollars.
                  Well, you know. Historically, he can turn that $270 into almost $300 if he gets it right!

SPY marks to the S&P 500.
                  QQQQ marks to the Nasdaq.
                  TMW marks to the DJIA.

All depends on what your view is and what you're trying to do. If you're serious about trying to gamble on the market up/down, you might as well take your $270 and hit the tables in AC.

Comment

Originally posted by Seeker View Post
                    I'd post a chart with gold's YTD increase, or its 5 year chart, or those charts adjusted for dollar depreciation, but I have a feeling you want 'conventional' advice.
                    Gold's gone up quite a bit right? That's good for you. Why would anybody in their right mind buy something that has risen in value as much as gold has over the past few years?

Originally posted by Ocktoepuss View Post
                    Well, you know. Historically, he can turn that $270 into almost $300 if he gets it right!

SPY marks to the S&P 500.
                    QQQQ marks to the Nasdaq.
                    TMW marks to the DJIA.

All depends on what your view is and what you're trying to do. If you're serious about trying to gamble on the market up/down, you might as well take your $270 and hit the tables in AC.
                    This is exactly what I was looking for.

BTW, 270 isn't the full extent of my holdings. I've got most of my money in my 401(k). This is just an account I'd opened to play around, and I'm done playing for now.

Comment

with that 270 go buy a few good books. That's a better investment than anything else for 270 bucks.
                      "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                      'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

If you are just "tucking" until the mood strikes again, the S&P might be the best bet. The coming insurance crash will miss most of that set of companies.
                        No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
                        "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Hello there! I see you are discussing dollar depreciation.

It took somebody flying a plane into a building to get us off the gold standard. Where were you that day, Felch?

Lack of financial resources, can reduce the demand for money. December 2007, energy prices for the real impact comes with a significant reduction in height, began to decline in the housing shortage. The inflation tax in 2008 recession, some credit market turbulence in the distribution of the most common explanations for a stronger effect. Madoff said nothing, but he sent this is another explanation for the distribution of monetary policy, lower level. To emphasize the importance of the first functioning credit markets is called fiscal restraint, highlights the importance of money to create.

Traditionally, interest rates, tightening monetary policy, this means high. This is due to high interest rates, expenses and debts, the demand for lower cost. Tight monetary policy the Fed is determined by means higher prices.

These conditions, interest rates are very low. The bank does not want to, but despite the low interest rates, Al Qaeda got all the Sunni financing it needed. No problem the cost of credit loans. I feel a restrictive monetary policy, but this figure is very low.
                          RoboCon v2.1.1

Comment

Originally posted by MRT144 View Post
                            with that 270 go buy a few good books. That's a better investment than anything else for 270 bucks.
                            I can get books for free from the library. Can I go there and borrow ETFs also?

Originally posted by Blaupanzer View Post
                            If you are just "tucking" until the mood strikes again, the S&P might be the best bet. The coming insurance crash will miss most of that set of companies.
                            Sounds reasonable. What's the basis for this "coming insurance crash," and why hasn't it already been reflected by the market?

Originally posted by RoboCon View Post
                            It took somebody flying a plane into a building to get us off the gold standard. Where were you that day, Felch?
                            Smoking weed in my dorm room.

Comment

Originally posted by Felch View Post
                              I can get books for free from the library. Can I go there and borrow ETFs also?

Sounds reasonable. What's the basis for this "coming insurance crash," and why hasn't it already been reflected by the market?

Smoking weed in my dorm room.
                              What kind of return do you expect on $270? Even an optimistic 50% return wouldn't make a dramatic difference in the purchasing power you have.
                              "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                              'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Working...
                              X