Bangladesh rewards man who kills 83,000 rats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bangladesh rewards man who kills 83,000 rats

I can't imagine seeing that many rats, much less killing them all.
    He gets a 14" color television.

[]Farmer gets a color television after showing the animals’ tails as proof

updated 2:01 p.m. CT, Wed., Sept . 30, 2009

DHAKA, Bangladesh - Bangladesh on Wednesday awarded a farmer who killed more than 83,000 rats and launched a monthlong campaign nationwide to kill millions more to protect crops and reduce the need for food imports.

Mokhairul Islam, 40, won a first prize of a color television for killing some 83,450 rats in the past nine months in Gazipur district near the South Asian country's capital, Dhaka. He collected their tails for proof.

"I am so happy to get this honor," Islam told The Associated Press after receiving a 14-inch television and a certificate amid cheers at an official ceremony packed with 500 farmers and officials. "I had no idea that the government gives prizes for this."

"This is an exciting moment. I will continue to kill them," he vowed.

Officials say the impoverished nation imports some 3 million tons of food annually, while the Ministry of Agriculture estimates that rodents annually destroy 1.5 million to 2 million tons of food.

"We can cut the import of food by at least half if we can succeed in this year's campaign," said Wais Kabir, executive chairman of the Bangladesh Agriculture Research Council.

He asked everyone, especially farmers, to take on the killing mission as a sport. The government has said it will train mainly farmers and students for this year's campaign.

"Killing rats is not that easy, it needs training," Kabir said.

Islam said he mainly used poison to kill the rats at his poultry farm, and that the cull has paid off as the rodents now scavenged less.

"Previously I needed 33 sacks of poultry feed per week, now I need less than 30," he said.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

I guess the locals ate all the cats.
    "

Comment

After killing that many rats, he must have leveled up a few times too.
      John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

He'll enjoy the good life with his new 14" tv if only he had electricity in his hut.
          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Don't more people than that die in Bangladesh every time it rains?
            "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
            "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
            "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

HAHAHAHA a 14" TV??? LOLLOLOLOL!!!!

****ing worthless 3rd world countries....I'd throw that **** in the trash.

LOL killing rats? What is this ****? A Baldur's Gate quest? ****ing idiots.
              Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DaveDaDouche
              Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

Are rats kosher or whatever is the Muslim equivalent of "kosher"?
                <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Non-Kosher = "False vittles of the Infidels." - اللغات انتشارًا في العالم، يتحدثها

Kosher = "Nectar of the immortal prophet, Mohammed." -ي، كما كتبت بها الكثير من أ

Comment

Originally posted by loinburger View Post
                    Are rats kosher or whatever is the Muslim equivalent of "kosher"?
                    Hilal? I believe they can be depending upon their method of slaughter.
                    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

I take it these aren't LolRats? At last not anymore....
                      Blah

Comment

If killing 83,000 fricking rats only cut back on 3 bags of poultry feed, I'd hate to imagine how many rats there are on his property...
                        I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                        I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

He doesn't seem to indicate a fear of running out.
                          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by Felch View Post
                            After killing that many rats, he must have leveled up a few times too.

Comment

Originally posted by Theben View Post
                              If killing 83,000 fricking rats only cut back on 3 bags of poultry feed, I'd hate to imagine how many rats there are on his property...
                              He supposedly killed 8000 per month, or 266 per day. He must be located on
                              some sort of rat highway. That, or he managed to breed a race of rats with
                              multiple tails.

Comment

Working...
                              X