Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Good Bye Forums, Here Comes Google Wave!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good Bye Forums, Here Comes Google Wave!

Google Wave Developer Preview presentation at the Day 2 Keynote of Google I/O. To learn more visit http://wave.google.com

Good Bye forums!

The first time I connected to the internet from home was in 1999. I've
    been a heavy user ever since. It fascinates me how little things have
    changed since then. It was email, forums, usenet and IM then and it is
    email, forums, usenet, IM now.

Plus maybe blogs and social networking sites.

OK, things have changed, but one thing has not: the format of our
    discussions. I've spent some time thinking about it and there are some
    subtle conclusions I reached. For example, I concluded that flat threads
    breed communities, while tree-like threads breed hostility. There are
    other technical aspects of discussions that I find interesting but won't
    bore you with.

Suffice to say that I see much of what I imagined as "ideal conversation
    process" implemented in Google Wave.

This could be big. Finally.

I really like this smiley:

Originally posted by VetLegion View Post
    I really like this smiley:
    Really?

Comment

Somehow, that smiley makes me want to use this
      With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

That smiley made me post this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0
        The enemy cannot push a button if you disable his hand.

Comment

I think it has changed a lot since my family got internet around 1990. My dad first had CompuServe which wasn't really the internet and instead was a giant BBS you could sign into with forums for just about everything. Around 1992 we switched to AOL because it was cheaper and allowed you to surf the wider net (not that I really did though). Around 1994 we got a standard internet service provider which is more or less just like everyone uses now except it was dial up.
          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by VetLegion View Post
            yada,yada,yada
            Get out of here!
            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Anyone have invites for Google Wave?

Comment

Is it that developed yet? Are people starting to use it? If so... I'm with Zopp, send me an invite.
                Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Today (Sep 30), 100,000 invites were sent, so yea, it's live and I'm eager to give it a try

Comment

I watched the first five minutes and got bored with the self-congratulating. Can anybody sum up the wonderfulness of Wave in a few concise sentences?
                    John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

E-mail + Wiki + GoogleCoolness
                      Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Slowly, subtly, in a velvet glove. People requesting their own subjugation.

Google = One World Government
                        Well done.
                        Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                        RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

I'll take an invite if anyone has one.
                          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Felch View Post
                            I watched the first five minutes and got bored with the self-congratulating. Can anybody sum up the wonderfulness of Wave in a few concise sentences?
                            I didn't watch the entire video. These are my impressions on why it is cool:

- it combines instant messaging and forums
                            - it combines flat threads and branching tree-like threads
                            - it allows easy threadjacking in the positive sense... it is easy to branch off a discussion
                            - it is people centered, not site centered (I'm not yet sure whether this is good or bad)
                            - it can be imbedded across sites... it doesn't matter whether you are on Apolyton or CivFanatics any more... if you are in the same discussion, you are in the same discussion

Now, as I said, I saw only a part of the video and I'm not sure about how it all works. But as I described earlier, subtle changes in the format of discussions can make a huge difference in what is the outcome of those discussions. For example, Google's way of inserting comments into a text seems great to me. I'd have to try it to say for sure, of course. If anyone has invites left, drop me a PM

Comment

Working...
                            X