Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would being repeatedly x-rayed by an x-ray machine cause your skin to blister?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would being repeatedly x-rayed by an x-ray machine cause your skin to blister?

According to Maniac Cop 3 it would, but I'm not sure how credible of a source the movie is.
    <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

It would depend on the dose and exposure but theoretically, yes.
    We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
    If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
    Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

According to my wife (MSc medical physics, 7 years experience radio-oncology and radiation protection) 400-500 chest X-rays would give you a skin burn (depending on how fat you are).
      12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
      Stadtluft Macht Frei
      Killing it is the new killing it
      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

It's much more realistic to get a skin burn from fluoroscopy. People do occasionally get skin burns from extensive fluoro imaging, especially for digital radiography.

She also adds that 200 abdomen/pelvis X-rays would do it.
        12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
        Stadtluft Macht Frei
        Killing it is the new killing it
        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

It would take a lot of X-rays.

Went I did the probing of the USS Long Beach CG-9 Steam Generator tubes, 3 of us where in a tent for 1 hour. One of us was doing the probing for 20 min. and then went to outer tent for 40 mins. I received 756 MR in that hour.

Today, I have no problem.

X-rays last about 1 second. I don't what the MR dose rate is.

If you enter an area that is 1 MR or more, you must wear a dose meter. 1 MR is a million of 1 Rad.

Just living on Planet Earth, you will pick up about 5 RADs per year.

Working for the US Gov, the normal rate is 500 MR per quarter, 1,000 per half year and 2,000 per year.

My total exposure for 7 to 10 years was around 3. ? RAD. I have the paper here somewhere.
          Last edited by Joseph; September 29, 2009, 00:00.

Comment

Working at Guantanamo will double that exposure. . .living there will triple it.
            “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
            "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

I had the opportunity to work with an X-ray diffractometer while at Rutgers; it was very old and everything except the data recorder was manual. We were warned not to put any body parts between the target and the the sample when it was running, as it would cause burns that would never heal. I think it was in the 50kV range.
              No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Working...
              X