No announcement yet.

Calling All Apolyton Lawyers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh on the Landlord thingy-- Do you not have a Landlord Tenant Board in Maryland. Many jursidictions have them and they provide a quicker resolution than even small claims court.

As Krazyhorse said, these things are often very little about the legalities. Many landlords take portions of deposits as a matter of course, KNOWING that in many cases the tenants will just say screw it, its too much trouble. If you fight them on the factrs you presented, you should do quite well but how many hours will you spend to get what in return. Thats what they are counting on, on average , to make deposit retention a paying proposition for them
    You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

In Chicago, the law is very much on the side of tenants, but the judges are very much on the side of landlords. Just because you have the law solidly on your side, with documentation and pictures, doesn't mean you will win. I have no idea how Maryland is, though.
      Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Landlords are also quite willing to stiff teenagers/20somethings b/c they figure most of them dont know their rights as tenants. And if they do fight they usually only get the amount back they normally would, without penalties. So why not try to keep the cash.
        I'm consitently stupid- Japher
        I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

dp
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
          Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

If I read the Maryland laws on landlords, tenants, and security deposits correctly, because our landlords failed to provide us with a security deposit that included interest from escrow within 45 days of the end of the lease, they have technically forfeited their ownership of our security deposit. And again, if I read correctly, we have the right to sue them for up to 3 times the amount of the security deposit plus legal fees.

Keep copies of all your correspondence. Be very reasonable in anything you write to your ex-landlord. At this point, you're really writing the letters for the judge to read. If your ex-landlord caves, great, but if not, be prepared.

Give your ex-landlord "x" amount of days to respond with the $. If he fails to do so, tell him you'll be conferring to legal counsel in order to assert your full legal rights.

As Che says, judges are not your best friend. They come from the upper classes and many of them ARE landlords. But most will be reasonable if you have solid evidence and solid law. I am suspecious of these landlord-tenant boards; many of them are pawns of landlords. Leave the choice of forum to your attorney -- (s)he does this for a living.

When you do contact counsel, find someone who specializes in landlord-tenant law from the tenant's side. Bring with you copies of your evidence and copies of the laws you are relying upon. (Occasionally, you'll find a tidbit of which the lawyer is unaware.)

Be calm. Be reasonable. Never lose your temper. Never call anyone on the other side a liar.

Comment

<p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Working...
              X