Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Awesome 19th century nerds thread

My pick from wikipedia:

* Babbage once contacted the poet Alfred Tennyson in response to his poem "The Vision of Sin". Babbage wrote, "In your otherwise beautiful poem, one verse reads,

Every moment dies a man,
    Every moment one is born.

... If this were true, the population of the world would be at a standstill. In truth, the rate of birth is slightly in excess of that of death. I would suggest [that the next version of your poem should read]:

Every moment dies a man,
    Every moment 1 1/16 is born.

Strictly speaking, the actual figure is so long I cannot get it into a line, but I believe the figure 1 1/16 will be sufficiently accurate for poetry."[38]
    Last edited by Heraclitus; September 27, 2009, 15:40.
    Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
    The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
    The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

That is awesome. Babbage was awesome.

Unfortunately, pulling out the trick usually used by biblical literalist apologists (which is actually appropriate here since Tennyson's work has the same merits as many biblical passages), saying that a man is born each moment does not preclude the possibility that sixteen men are born each moment.
    <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

It says one man is born each moment.

Comment

But it doesn't say only one man is born each moment.

Comment

No, the key is 'what is a moment?'

Generally, moments refer to instantaneous points in time.

Since time appears to the same order as the reals, there are infinite numbers of men dying and being born every second.

The more correct lines are these:

In a moment dies a man,
          In a moment one is born.

Also, generally as far as language goes, I would understand that line to be 'at least one'.

JM
          Jon Miller-
          I AM.CANADIAN
          GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

In a suitably long period of time
            One man or more is born, or dies.

SP
            I got the Jete from C.C. Sabathia. : Jon Miller

Comment

Or is just alive.
              Blah

Comment

I didn't realise you were talking about nerds in the 19th century.

I was hoping you were talking about nerds obsessing about the 19th century, at which point I was happy to launch into yet another "How awesome was Emile Zola?" spiel. (Answer: most decidedly awesome. Er, dude)

Comment

Originally posted by BeBro View Post
                  Or is just alive.
                  That doesn't scan.

SP
                  I got the Jete from C.C. Sabathia. : Jon Miller

Comment

In a suitably long period of time
                    a period of time passes

My poem truth value is apocalypse-proof

Comment

Yes, but whats the definition of the word "is"?
                      Order of the Fly
                      Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

The world's leading online dictionary: English definitions, synonyms, word origins, example sentences, word games, and more. A trusted authority for 25+ years!

Comment

UH HUH, THATS FASCINATI-
                          Order of the Fly
                          Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

Originally posted by Heraclitus View Post
                            My pick from wikipedia:

* abbage once contacted the poet Alfred Tennyson in response to his poem "The Vision of Sin". Babbage wrote, "In your otherwise beautiful poem, one verse reads,

Every moment dies a man,
                            Every moment one is born.

... If this were true, the population of the world would be at a standstill. In truth, the rate of birth is slightly in excess of that of death. I would suggest [that the next version of your poem should read]:

Every moment dies a man,
                            Every moment 1 1/16 is born.

Strictly speaking, the actual figure is so long I cannot get it into a line, but I believe the figure 1 1/16 will be sufficiently accurate for poetry."[38]
                            You're right. Nerdy.
                            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

This is one of the worst threads ever, and I have barely recuperated from that youtube of two animated homosexual acrobats fighting a lawnmawer thread that Saras posted.
                              urgh.NSFW

Comment

Working...
                              X