Slate is deeply confused about insurance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Solomwi View Post
    On that note, and maybe my brain isn't quite in gear yet this morning, but wouldn't adding "young invincibles" under the Baucus catastrophic policy still increase the insured population? I get that they'd pay less in premiums than if they bought the same plans the old folks do, which would mute the effect of their inclusion in the pool somewhat, but this seems like a "half a loaf is better than none" situation, rather than keeping them out of the pool altogether, as Noah seems to be complaining about. Am I just overlooking something here, besides the horrific nature of my last sentence?
    Depends. Its a different form of "insurance" though, isn't it? It is less spreading risk if they only have to by catastropic plans. And those plans aren't the same as the insurance everyone else is getting. So maybe its splitting hairs, but that's kinda where this whole discussion has been anyways.
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Felch View Post
      While small areas might have shelter from the storm, it's still a natural disaster of epic proportions. Individual health insurance is not really comparable to hurricane insurance.
      Yes, small areas have shelter or have never been hit. Just like youngsters. Some hurricanes produce a small number of claims. Some produce more, just like different age groups. Not that different.

And note, insurance companies don't make much in profits from premiums. Most of their income is from investment income. Heck the payouts for hurricane andrews were more than every single premium dollars that had ever been paid into the system at that point. But that doesn't mean money wasn't made and it sounds great when you're asking the insurance commision for permission to raise rates.
      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by rah View Post

And note, insurance companies don't make much in profits from premiums. Most of their income is from investment income. Heck the payouts for hurricane andrews were more than every single premium dollars that had ever been paid into the system at that point. But that doesn't mean money wasn't made and it sounds great when you're asking the insurance commision for permission to raise rates.
        And this speaks to the problem of correlation of catastrophic events affecting more than just claims filed.
        "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
        'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

1. A low risk-low premium only pool won't be able to survive a black swan event.

For the love of god, please don't help popularize Taleb's dumb "black swan" terminology.
          KH FOR OWNER!
          ASHER FOR CEO!!
          GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
            Depends. Its a different form of "insurance" though, isn't it? It is less spreading risk if they only have to by catastropic plans. And those plans aren't the same as the insurance everyone else is getting. So maybe its splitting hairs, but that's kinda where this whole discussion has been anyways.
            You're probably right that it's splitting hairs, but what you say here is what I was trying to get at. Forcing Group A to buy some insurance, but allowing them to buy a cheaper plan than the one Group B chooses to buy isn't so much allowing them to opt out of the pool as it is allowing them to stay in the shallow end. As long as Group A and Group B are insured by the same entity, the risk is spread across both groups, regardless of whether everyone has the same policy.

Of course, this is based on the simplified premise that Group A will not make significant claims, and therefore only serves the purpose of broadening the risk pool. The only relevant question about Group A under that premise is how much money you can get from them to put into the pool so you can cover the claims of Group B, which is a political question. In essence, Noah seems to me to be complaining that a politician has compromised on a political question in order to advance a political goal. That's why I wanted to see if I was missing something.
            Solomwi is very wise. - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten View Post
              1. A low risk-low premium only pool won't be able to survive a black swan event.

For the love of god, please don't help popularize Taleb's dumb "black swan" terminology.
              Six Sigma better?
              'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

"Unknown-unknowns"
                KH FOR OWNER!
                ASHER FOR CEO!!
                GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

"Insurance, after all, works only to the extent that it can spread risk among a diverse population." -- Noah

This is horses**t as written. I believe he is referring to age and relative health diversity. Nonetheless, this is nonsense to insurance as a business.

As a statement of a right or privilege where the goal is to "break even," this statement might indicate a goal. In essence that says let's gut a reasonably functioning business model, including profits, and replace it with a tax-based, break-even system. The Dems are claiming the government would only provide one option different from that of the current insurers. So where do they get off dictating who is in which pool at which rate. This is getting genuinely disgusting and confusing based on a lot of nonsensical inputs, left and right.
                  No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
                  "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

In essence that says let's gut a reasonably functioning business model
                    I don't think the current model functions reasonably well. It does generate profits for some businesses, but it also ****s over a lot of people.

The Dems
                    Are producing a ****ty bill, yes.

-Arrian
                    grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

"Unknown-unknowns"
                      That doesn't even begin to quantify the statistical distribution of those unknowns.

Comment

The whole danger of "black swan" events stems from the fact that you can't adequately assess the risk that they pose, precisely because they are "unknown unknowns".
                        KH FOR OWNER!
                        ASHER FOR CEO!!
                        GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

That's what reinsurance is for.
                          It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by rah View Post
                            That's what reinsurance is for.
                            Reinsurance is pretty good except when it totally fails (and part of that failure is when it encourages more risk taking). Making sure you know where the retrocessionals is just one piece of the puzzle.

Comment

The whole danger of "black swan" events stems from the fact that you can't adequately assess the risk that they pose, precisely because they are "unknown unknowns".
                              Which makes the over-reliance on models even more disastrous.

Comment

What other option is there?
                                KH FOR OWNER!
                                ASHER FOR CEO!!
                                GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X