The rational forum poster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The rational forum poster

Recently it has just came to me that the behavior of forum participation can be modeled using methods familiar in microeconomics. I am wondering if there has been any work done in the field, and if not I have a outline of a model that still need a ton of work to generate predictions.

---------------------
    Assume a discussion based forum as opposed to social networking location.

The rational forum visitor:
    The utility of each visit of forums is the ratio of reading new interesting content divided by the amount of time spend.

The frequency of a visitor to a forum is a positive slope function of rate of posting and new threads, with some hard minimum/maximums. The decision of a visitor to visit a forum at all is dependent on the signal to noise ratio of the forum.

The rational forum poster:
    The utility from posting lies from the ability to direct new conversation (thus improving net interesting content) and the pleasure of self expression and perhaps a harder to define measure to convert other posters.

The chance of posting for a visitor is a unique function with the following inputs: Already posted forum ideas, amount of traffic, and perhaps a characteristic function of particular forum cultures (level of aggression, attention span...and so on) that can be assumed to be largely invariant with respect to traffic.
    ------------------------

Problems this model seeks to address when complete:
    1. The utility of subforums, and when should subforums be closed. (eg. below critical values of activity and people just forget them)
    2. What are the natural evolution of forums that is universal amongst its type.
    3. The optimized posting pattern to maximize utility of a individual or collectively and by extension the rules and moderation enforcement required.
    4. Whether the construction of roboliberal would improve the forums, and many, many other things.
    -------------
    So, is there hope in this project, even if it is just opening up a new path for KH to call everyone a "****" for not following logical posting patterns? Ideas?

TLDR.

Where are the boobs in this thread?

(the OP doesn't count)
    Libraries are state sanctioned, so they're technically engaged in privateering. - Felch
    I thought we're trying to have a serious discussion? It says serious in the thread title!- Al. B. Sure

Comment

You want to spend time and mental effort trying to predict the behavior of people on the internet? What's rational about that?

Seriously, nah. There's no guessing what exactly will draw people to a particular forum.
      1011 1100
      Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

For Thoth.

You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

This thread was lame and boring until Krill showed up.
          John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

The rational forum poster doesn't post.
            <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

not in the OT anyway. Maybe in the ON-TOPIC side......... naw, not even there. That's where dale used to post.
              It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I suppose it would be rational to post in the OTF for homework help, as the potential reward eclipses the posting effort.
                <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

I think I would feel sorry for someone that would trust people here for homework help.
                  It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                  RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

What kind of help would you deem ok? Gotcha on that one, didn't I?
                    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

So boobs is the answer. I get it now!

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand View Post
                        What kind of help would you deem ok? Gotcha on that one, didn't I?
                        Not much. Maybe to assist in searching for something that could later be verified. A lot of people here are quite loose with their sources (when they actually have one)
                        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Krill saved the thread.
                          Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Originally posted by Krill View Post
                            For Thoth.

Krill, you rock
                            Libraries are state sanctioned, so they're technically engaged in privateering. - Felch
                            I thought we're trying to have a serious discussion? It says serious in the thread title!- Al. B. Sure

Comment

Working...
                            X