Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sharia law in Aceh; adulterers to be stoned to death, homosexuals punished

Link

Indonesia's province of Aceh has passed a new law making adultery punishable by stoning to death, a member of the province's parliament has said.

The law also imposes severe sentences for rape, homosexuality, alcohol consumption and gambling.

Opponents had tried to delay the law, saying more debate was needed because it imposes capital punishment.

Sharia law was partially introduced in Aceh in 2001, as part of a government offer to pacify separatist rebels.

A peace deal in 2005 ended the 30-year insurgency, and many of the former rebels have now entered Aceh's government, which enjoys a degree of autonomy from the central government in Jakarta.

The legislation was passed unanimously by Aceh's regional legislature, said assembly member Bahrom Rasjid.

"This law will be effective in 30 days with or without the approval of Aceh's governor," he said.

The governor of Aceh, a former rebel with the Free Aceh Movement, is opposed to strict Sharia law. He had urged more debate over the bill.

'Moral degradation'

Married people convicted of adultery can be sentenced to death by stoning. Unmarried people can be sentenced to 100 lashes with a cane.

Previously, Aceh's partially-adopted Sharia law enforced Muslim dress codes and mandatory prayers.

"This law is a preventive measure for Acehnese people so that they will avoid moral degradation," said Moharriyadia, a spokesman for the Prosperous Justice Party.

A new parliament will be sworn in next month, after local polls saw the moderate Aceh Party win the most seats in the provincial assembly.

The Aceh Party has said it will review the law once the new parliament is sitting.

"It needs more public consultation. We need to involve the ulemas - the Islamic clerics - in drafting the law," said Adnan Beuransah, a spokesperson for the Aceh Party.

About 90% of Indonesia's 235 million people are Muslim, practising a moderate form of the religion.
    Oddly enough, it appears that this is the will of the people. It is difficult to continue an insurgency for thirty years without local sympathy.

Even more odd is the fact that the moderates have not spoken out against the law. If the Aceh Party is moderate, shouldn't it have rejected this rather distasteful law outright, instead of saying that the clerics need to be involved? And how could the people have elected people like this?

If I didn't know better, I'd have thought that the people actually want this law to come into force. But it's probably that the most vocal and radical minority of Muslim extremists come out to vote in the largest numbers, so the large majority of moderates have less of a voice than they should.

If you don't get the power of religious belief, then I agree such a story makes no sense. Generally in trying to understand I contemplate a world in which people atre willing to vote to narrow their world and increase its harshness. Voting to change your society in the name of God is not all that weird really. Here in the US the ballots and candidates often openly advocate imposing religious terms on the citizens. Not all of those candidates lose. Of course the terms are not Medieval, but they are narrow religious tenets.
    No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
    "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

I know where I'm not going for vacation.
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Outside of Texas ?
        "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

Originally posted by dannubis View Post
          altough i've never been in texas, it must suck because my european newspapers have told me so
          bigotry based on ignorance

Comment

Thank you, VJ.
            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

I hope someday to get stoned to death.
              "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
              "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Wezil View Post
                I hope someday to get stoned to death.

Inshallah
                The enemy cannot push a button if you disable his hand.

Comment

I suppose not a lot of people were vacationing in Aceh when they were shooting at each other either.

Comment

An action-oriented vacation?
                    I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

Originally posted by aneeshm View Post
                      Link

Oddly enough, it appears that this is the will of the people. It is difficult to continue an insurgency for thirty years without local sympathy.

Even more odd is the fact that the moderates have not spoken out against the law. If the Aceh Party is moderate, shouldn't it have rejected this rather distasteful law outright, instead of saying that the clerics need to be involved? And how could the people have elected people like this?
                      My cynical guess is that the fundamentalist were trying to make this a wedge issue in the election. The moderates dodged that bullet by ignoring this issue. But now that the moderates have been elected, the law will be "modified" to remove its teeth.

Comment

Do the women at least get to wear colorful burkas?
                        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by VJ View Post
                          bigotry based on ignorance

Putting words in my mouth like a good rightist moran.
                          "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

Originally posted by Tattila the Hun View Post
                            An action-oriented vacation?
                            They're still go.

Comment

Working...
                            X