The Weird Experiment I Did Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Weird Experiment I Did Today

About a month ago I bought a new cellphone. It's actually a smartphone, the Samsung Galaxy. I decided to switch from Windows Mobile to Android and this is the best Android device at the moment.

So I'm toying with it and discovering all the stuff that can be done with all the built-in subsystems and a permanent connection to the internet.

Today I downloaded some applications that use the GPS module. You start the application on the phone and then you use it to send various people links to a site where they can track your movement on a map, in real time. Bizarre, eh?

I decided to test it without preparing anyone in advance. Instead of taking the tram, I decided to walk and send those "invites". Soon enough I started to receive calls and SMSs from my contacts, most of whom were freaked out by this

Thinking about it, this feature is extremely cool and handy in some situations, but problematic in others.

I don't know if I will ever use it permanently (most likely not!) but new generations of kids are certainly going to love it. I think that all phones within the next 3 years or so are going to have GPS modules. From then onwards it will become a social norm, I believe, to share your location 24/7/365.

Google already has an application (Google Latitude) that allows for this.

What do you think?

There are already quite a few applications that do basically the same thing. They read the location from GPS and send it somewhere. The idea is simple. This is the one I used (it has a useful timer... you set the expiry time of the "glympse"):
    Flexible and customizable geolocation tracking technology that predictively visualizes, analyzes, and notifies. Navigate, engage, and deliver with geolocation sharing solutions and services.

Comment

Sorry, but anything that makes my already expensive mobile connection more expensive is a no-no.

Comment

I'm worried about privacy and all you can think about is money

This shouldn't be expensive. It only uploads the location. Two numbers:
        longitude and latitude. If it did it a hundred times per second it would
        still amount to kilobytes, not megabytes.

Comment

Paraphrasing Walt Kelly: "We've met Big Brother, he is us."
          Within weeks they'll be re-opening the shipyards
          And notifying the next of kin
          Once again...

Comment

Originally posted by VetLegion View Post
            I'm worried about privacy and all you can think about is money
            If you read my profile, I'm an accountant, and the 'o' is silent.

Comment

vee haf veys of finding out where you are

Comment

Working...
              X