Prove That Time Exists

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prove That Time Exists

To me it is simply an abstract idea that we have come up with to help explain things. However I am uneducated, so educated me. Prove to me that time really exists, prove to me that it is tangible.

I realize that there is a period between two events, such as releasing a ball in mid air and it hitting the ground. I understand that I will eventually die because of things that are happening, and those things do happen. However, in the sense of time travel, the idea that time can be manipulated like a stream of water.. I really can't even think of the how to word what I want to ask in such a way that you all won't simply dismiss the thread entirely as some sort of idiot's rant. Which it is, but only because I don't know. I really want to know what time is.

<p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

I wasted 10 seconds of my life reading that.
      12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
      Stadtluft Macht Frei
      Killing it is the new killing it
      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

10 seconds? What is 10 seconds? Didn't you read the OP?

Definitions of time on the Web:
        an instance or single occasion for some event; "this time he succeeded"; "he called four times"; "he could do ten at a clip"
        a period of time considered as a resource under your control and sufficient to accomplish something; "take time to smell the roses"; "I didn't have time to finish"; "it took more than half my time"
        an indefinite period (usually marked by specific attributes or activities); "he waited a long time"; "the time of year for planting"; "he was a great actor in his time"
        a suitable moment; "it is time to go"
        the continuum of experience in which events pass from the future through the present to the past
        clock: measure the time or duration of an event or action or the person who performs an action in a certain period of time; "he clocked the runners"
        a person's experience on a particular occasion; "he had a time holding back the tears"; "they had a good time together"
        assign a time for an activity or event; "The candidate carefully timed his appearance at the disaster scene"
        clock time: a reading of a point in time as given by a clock; "do you know what time it is?"; "the time is 10 o'clock"
        set the speed, duration, or execution of; "we time the process to manufacture our cars very precisely"
        fourth dimension: the fourth coordinate that is required (along with three spatial dimensions) to specify a physical event
        regulate or set the time of; "time the clock"
        meter: rhythm as given by division into parts of equal duration
        adjust so that a force is applied and an action occurs at the desired time; "The good player times his swing so as to hit the ball squarely"
        prison term: the period of time a prisoner is imprisoned; "he served a prison term of 15 months"; "his sentence was 5 to 10 years"; "he is doing time in the county jail"
        wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

Having said this, I should make note that time is relative. What's a year on earth in eternal time? Back to square 1, huh?
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
          Of all of the people here on Apolyton I was hoping you would be the one person to provide a serious answer to my half assed question.

That being said I now realise how uselss and hopeless you all really are. I am sorry I ever thought you lot to be educated and capable of helping to educate other people. I guess Apolyton is just a quarter of a percent of 4chan.

In all honesty my question was serious, as absurd as it may seem.

Nevermind though I will leave you all to jacking off to pictures of Brooke Burke and singed corpses.

Comment

I've been telling all of you for a long time that he's worthless. I don't know why it's so hard to believe. Smoke and mirrors are his mode of operation.

EDIT: OH, OH, OH! The plot thickens. I've been telling all of you for what? What is "long time" you ask? This is getting bad.
            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
              Yeah, but you are the only one that really has the answer......
              "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Originally posted by Space05us View Post
                To me it is simply an abstract idea that we have come up with to help explain things. However I am uneducated, so educated me. Prove to me that time really exists, prove to me that it is tangible.

I realize that there is a period between two events, such as releasing a ball in mid air and it hitting the ground. I understand that I will eventually die because of things that are happening, and those things do happen. However, in the sense of time travel, the idea that time can be manipulated like a stream of water.. I really can't even think of the how to word what I want to ask in such a way that you all won't simply dismiss the thread entirely as some sort of idiot's rant. Which it is, but only because I don't know. I really want to know what time is.
                Do you need any more evidence than the fact that time can be manipulated in the presence of gravity or relativistic velocities?
                Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Time is an abstract concept invented by organic beings to measure their own decay!
                  1011 1100
                  Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by Space05us View Post
                    Of all of the people here on Apolyton I was hoping you would be the one person to provide a serious answer to my half assed question.
                    Why would you think that? Your question is nonsensical.
                    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                    Stadtluft Macht Frei
                    Killing it is the new killing it
                    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Time exists and it is good:

Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael View Post
                        Do you need any more evidence than the fact that time can be manipulated in the presence of gravity or relativistic velocities?
                        Time is another definition of space. (That's why one can speak of the space-time continuum and it is an important aspect in Einstein's theory of relativity, which revolutionized Newton's theory of gravity. In short: things do not "fall", they gravitate; the greater an object's gravity the more pull it has - even on light, and time. Think Star Trek: if space can be "warped", so can time. Or think travel - i.e. movement through space -: for/from a moving object, time "moves" slower. So, in a way, if you move through space, you move through time as well. An astronaut travelling away from Earth for a 10 year voyage may return to find that all the people he knew are no longer around.)

So yes, time is relative. (As, again, is space: just think of the difference between an expanding or a contracting universe; the first will become less, the second more dense.)

Comment

Flubber checks watch-- touches arm

Since I am at best uncertain that I exist, I'll leave the proving of the existence of other stuff to those other fignments of my imagination on this "board"
                          You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Time is another definition of space.

No.

Comment

(That's why one can speak of the space-time continuum and it is an important aspect in Einstein's theory of relativity, which revolutionized Newton's theory of gravity. In short: things do not "fall", they gravitate; the greater an object's gravity the more pull it has - even on light, and time. Think Star Trek: if space can be "warped", so can time. Or think travel - i.e. movement through space -: for/from a moving object, time "moves" slower. So, in a way, if you move through space, you move through time as well. An astronaut travelling away from Earth for a 10 year voyage may return to find that all the people he knew are no longer around.)

Also no, though individual pieces contain truth.

Comment

Working...
                              X