Elevated Resting Heart Rate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elevated Resting Heart Rate

So generally my resting heart rate has been in the 70s or 60s. Pretty much always. I exercised normally in the 150-165 range, which was a good speed, and when I did intervals it would go up into the 170-180 range for a short while.

After running Thursday, I went to a coffee shop to eat + work. I had been feeling bad before running, but some of that was too much time indoors/time working/etc.

I felt a bit funny, like my heart was beating fast, I thought to check my heart rate and had a hard time finding it but counted over 100 bpm.

I tried several times over the next couple of hours, worried about it a bit, each time basically counting over 100 bpm. Finally I went to my gym and measured it there to be 110 or so, but moving around a lot between 110-130). Later at home I found my polar heart rate monitor and it put me between 100-120 or so.

I decided to rest, and after resting it went down to 76 or so. The next day I tried measuring it twice, both times it moved around a lot one time dipping down to 74 and the other time dipping only down to the 96 or so.

Today, similar. Except I decided that I did need to do at least my 3 times a week light cardio (and I haven't done heavy cardio in almost two months, and lifted for the first time in a month last Monday). Even with a light jog, my HR quickly went above 160 and was going above 170 when I quit (After 20 minutes).

Things don't seem right to me, I am thinking I should call up my doctor. What do other people think? I really don't like seeing the doctor and had looked forward for some months (or a year+ even) of not seeing a doctor after he stopped being concerned about my iron levels last spring.

JM
    Jon Miller-
    I AM.CANADIAN
    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

I think you should call your doctor, even if just for preventive maintenance.
    OR, you can ignore all things and have a heart attack, like me. I wouldn't advise it, but you can.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Oh, and Monday I did my normal 5 minutes light cardio before lifting, and I had the normal behavior of not even reaching a HR of 130 by the end of the 5 minutes.

JM
      Jon Miller-
      I AM.CANADIAN
      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

I think it depends on what you are thinking about (especially sometimes if you catch my drift ) on whether your heart beats faster or not. My resting is somewhere in the 50s normally although naturally when I am running it usually gets a bit above 150...perhaps more if more strenuous.
        Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Even being in nursing this is always my guideline, you know your body better then anyone else. If something doesn't feel right or feels off then you need to get it checked out. If something is even making you consider if you should see a doctor then that's your answer right there.
          Welcome to earth, my name is Tia and I'll be your tour guide for this trip.
          Succulent and Bejeweled Mother Goddess, who is always moisturised yet never greasy, always patient yet never suffers fools~Starchild
          Dragons? Yup- big flying lizards with an attitude. ~ Laz
          You are forgiven because you are FABULOUS ~ Imran

Comment

What do you expect of the doctor if you see them?

I am not trying to dissuade you from going, because you will know better than anyone when something does not feel right with you. But unless they happen to "catch" your tachycardia while hooked up to the ECG, they might not be able to tell you much about it. If so would that be enough to reassure you (assuming any other tests find nothing wrong)?

Comment

Yeah, that is really my issue Kitschum. I was bothered a bit 1.5 years ago, and they didn't find anything. It was just a pain in the ass to wear a heart monitor for a bit.

But if there is something, and they find it, than that is important.

And I didn't feel right, which is why I checked my heart rate Thursday in the first place. I normally don't except when I Am doing intervals or warming up at the gym.

And it doesn't feel right to my up above 170 when doing a light jog. Over 170 isn't what I go to unless I am pushing myself during an interval!

I am stressed, I have been eating ridiculous amounts of chocolate, and not sleeping right. Also, I have used caffeine a bit and eaten lots of spicy food. All of these can cause elevated heart rate, I wouldn't expect that to be days later though.

JM
              Jon Miller-
              I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

A pain in the ass to wear a heart monitor for a bit. Ok, that's cool. Be dead for eternity. See how that works out for you.
                Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

Worry, stress, anxiety can have some very noticeable and unpredictable effects on the human body, and a slightly elevated heart rate is very typical of this. You should definitely not excuse yourself for being worried, but worry can be a kind of vicious circle as everybody is - understandably - worried about their heart. This is doubtless not new information for you, but I am saying it anyway.

You are moving countries pretty soon aren't you? On the one hand, I'd look to that for stressing you. On the other hand, I'm thinking it would be better for you to see a doctor at your home just in case. Even if it turns out that your heart rate is elevated as a result of stress, that stress might not disperse until after you have moved and started to settle in and you wouldn't want any extra anxieties on your mind during that time. These are just my thoughts.

Comment

Moving countries? What is he, Atlas? Is he going to shove the continents back together for an encore?

Comment

Well if you push them further enough they will come back together because the earth is round, so it is essentially the same thing and not as impressive to do the one when you've already done the other. I'm thinking he should take down the moon as the extra act

Comment

Now that would be a trip. What would happen to the tides? No tides?

Comment

Mo' tides, I imagine.

Comment

I am trying hard to graduate, am really tired and need a vacation, and yeah.. once I graduate I have a job in Sweden.

Which I will be 2-5 weeks late for.

JM
                            Jon Miller-
                            I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

I think it's the OT moderatorship that's getting you down.

I mean, you guys never get a rest.

Comment

Working...
                              X