Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you outsource?

Inspired from another thread.

I'm too lazy to deal with ironing clothes so I send stuff out to be cleaned. I'm not a big fan of cooking so take-out and order-in foods are also high on my list.

I've been considering once a week maid service but I can't come to admit I have grown that lazy yet.

What services can you perform yourself but choose to pay others to do for you?
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Dress shirt laundering
    Barber
    Shoe shine
    Take-out, order-in
    Cleaning lady once every two weeks
    Condo association dues, which pays for building cleaning and maintenance
    Mostly anything that requires manual labor, if it's not dead simple
    Last edited by DanS; August 31, 2009, 11:21.
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

If I may ask -

How much do you pay for the cleaning lady? How long does she work and what does she do?
      "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
      "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

I live downtown DC, so cleaning lady is an expensive $85 a visit. She is efficient -- much moreso than I ever am -- so she probably spends about 3 or 4 hours a visit. She does all cleaning except "spring cleaning." Does dishes and laundry. Buys all cleaning supplies (for which I reimburse her).

From this, you can get a pretty good sense of the lowest perceived marginal value of my leisure time. If that value goes down -- such as if I lost my job -- then I would cut back on most or all of this.
        I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

When I owned a house I paid somebody to mow the lawn (about 3/4 acre and my mower kept crapping out on me). I've always paid somebody to change the oil on my car because a. it's a dirty job and b. my dad would screw up his neck at least 25% of the time that he'd change the oil on his car until he finally caved in and got somebody else to do it (granted that this wasn't helped from the whiplash he'd gotten in a car accident many years ago but whatever it's still a pretty good excuse for me to pay somebody to change the oil on my car). That's about it - I eat out maybe once a month (including take-out or delivery eg pizza).
          <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Anything to do with the car
            Electrical and plumbing work around the house
            Hair cutting/trimming

...that's about it
            Monkey!!!

Comment

Mowing the lawn and changing the oil.
              I used to do both but it's not worth it anymore since I can get them both done cheaply.
              It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Also drywall... life's to short to do drywall
                Monkey!!!

Comment

My dad actually enjoys drywalling, which probably means that insanity runs on his side of the family.
                  <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Like DanS, anything manual that's not dead simple. Could, but do not, have a maid. The three of us manage somehow on that one. Note there seem to be a lot of bachelors/only residents here. Is that the case?
                    No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
                    "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

I married with 2 kids.
                      Monkey!!!

Comment

I have my hair cut. I don't dry clean my suits myself. I don't have a car, so I don't have to outsource anything car-related. I do everything else myself.
                        Graffiti in a public toilet
                        Do not require skill or wit
                        Among the **** we all are poets
                        Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

I've recently been outsourcing all my sexual duties. I keep an Indian immigrant in my bedroom closet and let him out to take care of the ladies while I play videogames.
                          KH FOR OWNER!
                          ASHER FOR CEO!!
                          GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

I typically outsource attending lecture to all the other people in my classes.

Comment

When I am away on business I will get all my laundry done in the hotel...as long as it isn't crazily expensive (ie, Switzerland ) no one objects...Mexico City or Istanbul were very cheap in this respect.
                              Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Working...
                              X