Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X-Men vs. Mickey Mouse

LINK
    CHICAGO (MarketWatch) -- Walt Disney Co. /quotes/comstock/13*!dis/quotes/nls/dis (DIS 26.70, -0.14, -0.53%) said on Monday it has reached a deal to acquire comic book titan Marvel Entertainment Inc. /quotes/comstock/13*!mvl/quotes/nls/mvl (MVL 48.95, +10.30, +26.65%) for $4 billion in stock and cash. In a statement, Disney Chief Executive Bob Iger said "adding Marvel to Disney's unique portfolio of brands provides significant opportunities for long-term growth and value creation." Marvel shareholders would receive a total of $30 per share in cash plus approximately 0.745 Disney shares for each Marvel share they own. At closing, the amount of cash and stock will be adjusted if necessary so that the total value of the Disney stock issued as merger consideration based on its trading value at that time is not less than 40% of the total merger consideration. Under the deal, Disney will acquire ownership of Marvel including its more than 5,000 Marvel characters, including The Fantastic Four, Spider-Man, the X-Men, The Incredible Hulk and Iron Man, all of which have been turned into highly valuable feature film franchises. Ike Perlmutter, Marvel's CEO, would continue to oversee the Marvel properties, and work directly with Disney executives to integrate them into Disney's businesses.
    I own DIS, and I like this move. Still, it seems weird that Disney will now have Wolverine rides in Fantasy Land.
    Monkey!!!

Told you comic books were for children: Disney buys Marvel for $4B

Told you so.

Today, Disney+ debuted the official trailer for the upcoming original documentary Elton John: Never Too Late. With iconic concert footage from his career, the …Read More
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

"In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Comment

He he, I win
        Monkey!!!

Comment

I dunno whether this is good or bad.
          Blah

Comment

No, Fantasy Land will remain unchanged. Marvel character products in a new section of the park. No need to traumatize little princes and princesses.
            (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
            (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
            (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

It looks like one of those deals where it will be good for both parties. Disney has proven in the past that they don't try to alter brands to fit the Disney mold. They allow them to stand on their own and continue to be what they are.

It will give Marvel even more clout, and access to cash. Marvel needs to live through the period of shifting from print to digital.
              Keep on Civin'
              RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

wow
                Order of the Fly
                Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

Exactly, Ming. It isn't like Pixar has suffered in quality since being acquired by Disney, after all.
                  “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                  - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Japher View Post
                    LINK

I own DIS, and I like this move. Still, it seems weird that Disney will now have Wolverine rides in Fantasy Land.
                    Two of the best rides at Universal Studios Orlando: Spiderman 3D and The Hulk Rollercoaster.
                    "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

I'm also shocked Disney/ABC still use this go.com ****.

Have you seen go.com lately? Looks like a domain squatting site.
                      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Marvel has many excellent brands. Disney continues to find ways to reach beyond their traditional base of customers.
                        Keep on Civin'

Comment

What amazes me is that Disney has realized they have cornered the preteen girl market what with all the princess crap and Hannah Montana yada yada. This move makes them a much more viable player in the pre teen/teen male market.
                          "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Someone should merge this thread with the non-troll thread.

Comment

Exactly... It also helps in the young adult market, as proven by the success of Batman and Ironman.
                              Keep on Civin'

Comment

Working...
                              X