Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Stalker" (Russian sci-fi film by Tarkovsky)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Stalker" (Russian sci-fi film by Tarkovsky)

Watched this a couple of days ago. Didn't understand it. At all.
    The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

I tried watching it, and suddenly it made sense why the Russians got all excited about McDonalds when it opened. America is #1.
    John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

Learning Russian might help.

Comment

Tarkovsky had this uncanny knack of making boring films. Try the book.
        Graffiti in a public toilet
        Do not require skill or wit
        Among the **** we all are poets
        Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker View Post
          Learning Russian might help.

Helpfully, all the words they spoke were translated into English and projected onto the bottom of the screen in the form of subtitles. You berk.

Comment

At all.

Comment

Originally posted by Bugs ****ing Bunny View Post
              Watched this a couple of days ago. Didn't understand it. At all.
              Try Andrej Rublev. Tarkovsky's early work especially focuses on visual impact; Stalker, for instance, has very little dialogue. Solaris, a brilliant movie (the original, not the remake), is a very psychological movie. Most of Tarkovsky's movies are about a threat or some kind of danger and how someone responds to it and all of his work is about personal challenge. Rather than being a moviemaker, Tarkovsky was a cinematographer.

Originally posted by onodera View Post
              Tarkovsky had this uncanny knack of making boring films.
              That's rather an incorrect assessment - though his movies have a, perhaps typical of Russian movies of the era, explicit slowness. They're not interested in action of a physical kind - just like certain Bergman movies.

Comment

"Slow" I can handle. "Incomprehensible" is a different matter.

"Stalker" doesn't appear to have an ending. It just stops. I think he just got bored.

Comment

Saw parts of it several times but never really got into watching the whole thing.

*shrug*
                  Blah

Comment

Originally posted by Bugs ****ing Bunny View Post
                    "Slow" I can handle. "Incomprehensible" is a different matter.

"Stalker" doesn't appear to have an ending. It just stops. I think he just got bored.
                    Written by the same guy who wrote "Lost in Translation" I presume
                    Monkey!!!

Comment

Try "The Fountain." I kept thinking it would get better... foolish of me, really.
                      (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
                      (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
                      (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

The original Solaris was great with subtitles or in Russian.. Stalker was -- wait for it -- wait for it -- slow to the point of going nowhere. Thus, you keep waiting for a point, a direction, a reason for the slow pace, an explanation of where the ending leaves us. Speaking Russian would not help this dying story. Haven't seen any of his other work, but feels like one for one so far.
                        No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
                        "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Stalker is an eerie movie, about a place where noone dares to go. It doesn't become really explicit why this is; in this sense it's a mystery that doesn't get solved. That is, the mystery remains. Besides being mostly a visual movie, it plays on the viewers imagination and in this sense it's not an entertaining movie. Finding such a movie 'boring' is just the easy way out; if you're not into it, you will indeed not appreciate it. In the end that applies to all movies - and books.

Comment

Working...
                          X