Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do singularity people consider this possibility?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Being able to create one is an achievement in itself.

And it's not very useful if you don't give it access to stuff to control.

There's also the idea that rather than destroying humanity they enable us to transcend and become godlike, so not all doom and gloom.
    Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
    Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
    We've got both kinds

Comment

I'm sure that an intelligence smarter than human would be smart enough not to create one smarter than itself. smart
      “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
      "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by MikeH View Post
        The whole point about a true AI is that it's concious and can choose it's own goals.
        Bzzt. The whole point about a general-purpose AI ("true" AI has no meaning) is that it has humanlike intelligence - you can provide it with natural-language goals and it has all the tools to complete them built-in.

If the AI is strictly smarter than people, and we tell it "design a general-purpose AI smarter than yourself", it will clearly succeed (if only by epsilon).

Seriously, guys, that's all there is to it. Self-design + smarter than humans = strictly increasing intelligence.

edit: and again, seriously, consciousness doesn't enter into it. No one cares about consciousness. People care about getting **** done.

Comment

Or self-design + smarter than humans + design complexity increasing faster than intelligence = intelligence plateau.
          <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

(if only by epsilon)

Comment

Also, the ability to throw exponentially increasing numbers of transistors at the thing probably counts for something, even if it doesn't scale terribly well.

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker View Post
                edit: and again, seriously, consciousness doesn't enter into it. No one cares about consciousness. People care about getting **** done.
                You're assuming that all the folks who jerk off to SMAC don't qualify as "people." Not that I necessarily disagree; just pointing it out.
                1011 1100
                Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Why do singularity people assume that the creation of an smarter than human AI will result in an intelligence explosion?

Because if humans become capable of creating an intelligence smarter than humans, then said intelligence will be capable of creating an even smarter intelligence (even if only by epsilon). Ad infinitum. Duh?
                  You didn't read my post at all now did you?

Tell me how long has human level intelligence existed? Now tell me how long has human level inteligence taken to create an inteligence superior to itself?

I'm not saying it will take millions of years, heck even a few thousand is unlikley considering they will have a head start of 500 years of human science... But is it really so far fetched to belive that creating AI 2.0 will take the race of AI 1.0 decades to achieve? And who says AI3 won't be so much harder to build that AI2 will despite its gain in inteligence compared to humans or AI1 needs decades as well?

What I'm describing is a rise in inteligence and clearly a transhumanist vision of the future but it surley not a technological singularity.
                  Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
                  The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
                  The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

The processes of intelligence are very simple, it's just a question of scale, so why should there be a limit?
                    Didn't know inteligence was a simple matter of scale, thought it was more complex. I guess my question is moot then.
                    Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
                    The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
                    The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

Right back at you.

Comment

The whole point about a true AI is that it's concious and can choose it's own goals.
                        Are you sure? I'm not quite convinced we humans can choose our goals.

I mean seriusly even the most ethical and rational human would have problems with not eating a baby or two now or then if that somehow produced feelings that make orgasms pale in comparison.

Comment

Right back at you.
                          You say nothing about how long it takes for the intligence to create a better inteligence.

People who espouse the technological singularity claim the world will be changed beyond recognition in a few short years after the first smarter than human AI goes on line.

Again how do we know inteligence deveopment will follow a neat patter that we have somehow guessed despite our inablity thus far to create an inteligence even slightly smarter than the average joe let alone a genious?
                          Last edited by Heraclitus; August 27, 2009, 16:48.

Comment

Originally posted by loinburger View Post
                            Or self-design + smarter than humans + design complexity increasing faster than intelligence = intelligence plateau.
                            Isn't this what I basically said in the OP?

Comment

Yes.
                              12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                              Stadtluft Macht Frei
                              Killing it is the new killing it
                              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by Heraclitus View Post
                                Isn't this what I basically said in the OP?
                                You said it all foreign-like.
                                <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Working...
                                X