Manhattan Airport

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manhattan Airport

This is such a great idea, I'm sad I didn't think of it first.

New York City is the cultural and financial capital of the world. It is also our nation’s most densely populated urban area. Yet surprisingly, New York City has no viable airport. JFK, La Guardia and Newark may work for people who live in certain outer boroughs. But they are not an acceptable option for the majority of New Yorkers, requiring travel through some of the most congested traffic arteries in the nation. A journey which by train takes nearly two hours and by automobile can take up to three hours. For a place which purports itself to be the greatest city in the world, this is not a workable model.

Davenport, Iowa has an airport. Tallahassee has one. And so does Lexington, Kentucky. But New York City doesn’t. Amazingly, there is still a large, undeveloped and underutilized site in the center of New York City. In fact, this site has remained undeveloped for so long that many of us forget it even exists. It’s called Central Park. Ask most New Yorkers when was the last time they visited it. Statistically that number is fewer than one visit per person per year. But how many times did those same New Yorkers go the airport? It doesn’t take long to realize Central Park squanders 843 acres of the most valuable real estate in the world.

But it doesn’t have to stay this way. In the past decade residents of high-density areas the world over have empowered themselves to reclaim disused and blighted urban spaces and infuse them with new life and new sense of purpose. From London’s Tate Modern to Paris’ Promenade Plantee to New York’s own High Line examples abound of this enlightened philosophy of urban conservationism. Our regional airports are more overcrowded than ever. Millions of skilled workers are without jobs. And Congress stands ready to spend billions on shovel-ready stimulus programs to reenergize our economy and get New Yorkers back to work.

One day New Yorkers will move seamlessly between Midtown and Shinjuku without ever setting foot in an automobile. We will cross 59th Street and enter into a unique urban oasis, a place seemingly apart from the rest of Manhattan yet existing at its very core. And figuratively serving as its very lifeblood. A relic of our past magically transformed and reinfused with purpose. An unprecedented transportation amenity connecting us with London, Hong Kong, and the other great cultural capitals of the world.

Public dollars helped create Central Park in the 1850s. And public responsibility dictates that we transform this underutilized asset into something we so desperately need today. Manhattan Airport will prove New York City no longer allows it’s vestigial prewar cityscape to languish in irrelevance but instead reinvents these spaces with a daring and inspired bravado truly befitting one of the world’s great cities. The moment is now.

This is exactly the kind of outside-the-box thinking we need to more NYC into a more efficient and ecologically sound future.
    KH FOR OWNER!
    ASHER FOR CEO!!
    GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Is it big enough?

You have to worry about room for the airplanes to descend/etc.

I think they should just build an island like taiwan or whatever.

JM
    Jon Miller-
    I AM.CANADIAN
    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller View Post
      Is it big enough?
      Is the site really large enough to build a safe airport?

The site’s dimensions are 4.1 km × 830 m, making it large enough for takeoff and landing of even the largest commercial aircraft such as the Boeing 747, 767 and 787; as well as the Airbus A350 and A380. Medium to large commercial aircraft used for domestic routes generally require at least 2,421 m at sea level and somewhat more at higher altitude airports. International widebody flights, which carry substantial amounts of fuel and are therefore heavier can have landing requirements of 3,021 m or more and takeoff requirements up to 3,422 m.

KH FOR OWNER!
      ASHER FOR CEO!!
      GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Sorry, but this is a terrible idea.
        be free

Comment

Sorry, but this is a terrible idea.

You seem to think Singapore is a good civic model, so I think we can all safely ignore your opinion on this matter.
          KH FOR OWNER!
          ASHER FOR CEO!!
          GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

The Singapore Airport is far from populated areas and buildings. You put a massive airport in the center of a city - destroying a national park in the process - and create nothing but noise and pollution, for what? To save 1-2 hours travel time?

I got a better idea, how about dedicated trains to the airports surrounding New York.

btw, Singapore is a good civic model, didn't you know? It is one of the most efficiently built cities on the planet.
            Last edited by FrostyBoy; August 24, 2009, 23:29.
            be free

Comment

Originally posted by FrostyBoy View Post
              You put a massive airport in the center of a city - destroying a national park in the process
              Central park

12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
              Stadtluft Macht Frei
              Killing it is the new killing it
              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller View Post
                Is it big enough?

You have to worry about room for the airplanes to descend/etc.

I think they should just build an island like taiwan or whatever.

JM
                An island is the way to go.
                Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten View Post
                  This is such a great idea, I'm sad I didn't think of it first.

This is exactly the kind of outside-the-box thinking we need to more NYC into a more efficient and ecologically sound future.
                  What would you thinking of it first accomplish? You were going to build an airport?
                  Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                  "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                  He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
                    Central park

Solomwi is very wise. - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

Hahahaha that's a pretty retarded idea.
                      urgh.NSFW

Comment

People need green areas, trees, flowers, bushes, birdies etc. This is why the richest people who work in New York communte in from Long Island and Connecticut. Being totally encased in concrete is depressing.

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
                          Central park

Having just seen Old Faithful, I have to say it ain't so special. Therefore I must disagree with whatever meaning your post is attempting to impart.
                          Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                          "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler View Post
                            Being totally encased in concrete is depressing.
                            Actually, according to Isaac Asimov, being totally encased in concrete makes for very interesting stories.
                            Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                            "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

It is a terrible idea. Like there isn't enough congestion in the area that every single ****ing flight to Newark, JFK, and LaGuardia is delayed because of too many planes in the air

New York City doesn’t.

WTF is this bull****? When did Queens not become part of NYC?
                              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Working...
                              X