Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Apparently, Brits angry with right-wing Americans' lies and distortions of health care

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apparently, Brits angry with right-wing Americans' lies and distortions of health care

There might be some truth from more reasonable, rational conservative Americans when they speak of some of shortcomings of British health care system, but I guess Brits are really upset with those who are making **** up.

By MEERA SELVA, Associated Press Writer Meera Selva, Associated Press Writer – Fri Aug 14, 8:02 am ET
    LONDON – Britons reacted with outrage Friday at American criticism of the country's health care system and defended their cradle-to-grave medical coverage on Twitter, television and in the tabloids.

Right-wing attacks on President Barack Obama's health reform plans have struck a nerve in Britain, where residents broadly take for granted their universal coverage under the state-funded National Health Service — and look askance at the millions of Americans without insurance.

"Land of the Fee," declared the Daily Mirror in reference to the United States' high-charging health model. The London newspaper called the "lies and distortions" being circulated in the United States about the National Health Service "truly sickening."

"Jaw droppingly untruthful," said the British Medical Association's chairman, Hamish Meldrum.

"NHS often makes the difference between pain and comfort, despair and hope, life and death," Prime Minister Gordon Brown tweeted. "Thanks for always being there."

Even British health campaigner Kate Spall — who criticizes NHS failings in U.S. television ads produced by Conservatives for Patients' Rights, a lobby group that opposes Obama's plans — declared that the group had misled her and was distorting her true views. Spall's mother died of kidney cancer while waiting for treatment.

"There are failings in the system but I'm not anti-NHS at all," Spall told the British Broadcasting Corp.

"I help the vulnerable patients in our country that come to me for help, those that have been denied treatment," she said. "So the irony is, the people that are falling through the net in the U.S. are patients that I would support anyway."

Britain's opposition Conservative Party is distancing itself from its maverick member of European Parliament, Daniel Hannan, who has criticized the NHS on U.S. news programs.

Conservative leader David Cameron dismissed Hannan as having "eccentric views."

In an e-mail to Conservative Party workers published on his blog, Cameron said millions, including his own family, were grateful for NHS-provided care.

"Just look at all the support which the NHS has received on Twitter over the last couple of days," he wrote. "It is a reminder — if one were needed — of how proud we in Britain are of the NHS."

The NHS, founded in 1948, is the cornerstone of the United Kingdom's welfare state.

About 12 percent of the UK's 61 million residents have private insurance, but the vast majority rely on state-funded emergency care, surgery and access to family doctors. Even those who complain about the system say they want it improved, not dismantled.

British officials acknowledge that their system has been struggling to cope and faces a 15 billion pound ($24 billion) deficit. Hospitals are often overcrowded, dirty and understaffed, which means some patients do not get the care they are promised.
    Brits React to Distorted American Attacks on Their Health Care System
    A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Originally posted by MrFun View Post
    There might be some truth from more reasonable, rational conservative Americans blah blah blah
    Man, your spine is so pliant I bet you can suck yourself off bending over backwards.
    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

if he could, why would he waste time posting here?
      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

there is already a thread for this

Comment

Canada's just happy that AmeriCons have finally found another country's health system to use as a bogeyman
          12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
          Stadtluft Macht Frei
          Killing it is the new killing it
          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by chequita guevara View Post
            Man, your spine is so pliant I bet you can suck yourself off bending over backwards.
            When I was a younger man, I was actually flexible enough to bend my face down to my crotch.

I was young and stupid though, I thought that would last forever. So instead of practicing yoga and maintaining my flexibility, I was lazy and watched TV. Now I'm a sad piece of ****.

John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

Yes, but that's bending forward. MrFun is so flexible he can give himself a reach around.
              Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

So that's why they call him that. I was always kind of puzzled.
                John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
                  Canada's just happy that AmeriCons have finally found another country's health system to use as a bogeyman

Now if only we could get at least our media not to focus on the Yanks.

In a round-about way, I think the American debate could do a lot to improve our system, assuming the right people are paying attention.
                  (\__/)
                  (='.'=)
                  (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Really? How?

Comment

cuz canadians would see how insane the right wing is when left to its own devices and would then come to their senses and ignore such voices in their own politics... such action would improve all aspects of their society
                      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

If only we could do that in our own country.

Comment

I'll have to answer you later. Gotta get to work.
                          (\__/)
                          (='.'=)
                          (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Originally posted by chequita guevara View Post
                            If only we could do that in our own country.
                            the retarded fringe will always be around, but I suspect the masses of stupid that listen to them (and repeat their talking points) will suffer, wither, and dwindle due to the breakdown of social order that will surely happen in the next 50 years as the US continues its decline from hegemony
                            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by notyoueither View Post
                              In a round-about way, I think the American debate could do a lot to improve our system, assuming the right people are paying attention.

REALLYYYYY???????

I am seeing a lot of irrational folks chanting stuff like

"Government is a cancer not an answer" and the level of rhetoric and the number of people turning this into a patriotism issue is amazing

Big medecine in the US or somebody has done a great job in convincing a lot of people that somehow a universal healthcare system is inconsistent with American values.

Hell I know the Canadian system has its flaws too but Americans seem to think adopting elements of our system will destroy america
                              You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Working...
                              X