Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MS ordered to stop selling 'Word'

Canadian firm gets patent win over Microsoft

A U.S. judge issued a permanent injunction preventing Microsoft Corp. (MSFT-Q23.600.472.03%) from selling its flagship “Word” software in the United States, agreeing with a jury verdict that the company willfully violated a patent held by a small Toronto firm.

Judge Leonard Davis of the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas on Tuesday upheld a verdict won by i4i Inc. in May and awarded the firm damages of about $290-million (U.S.).

Microsoft, the world's largest software company, now has 60 days to comply with the injunction.

“We are disappointed by the court's ruling,” said Kevin Kutz, a Microsoft spokesman. “We believe the evidence clearly demonstrated that we do not infringe and that the i4i patent is invalid. We will appeal the verdict.”

I4i sued Microsoft in March, 2007, claiming the Redmond, Wash., company had infringed on a patent awarded in 1998 for manipulating complex data in electronic documents. The jury verdict had initially recommended damages in the amount of $200-million.

The injunction will bar Microsoft from selling its word-processing software that handles documents in a form known a “custom XML.” This category includes the company's Word 2003 and Word 2007 products, as well as any future versions using the same technology in question.

“We feel vindicated with this result,” said Michel Vulpe, the founder of privately-held i4i and an inventor of the disputed patent.

The firm said that several years ago it approached Microsoft with a breakthrough product in data processing, only to be spurned and to see its technology show up later in versions of Microsoft Word.

Microsoft argued unsuccessfully that it had not infringed and that the patent in question was invalid. A company spokesman was not immediately available for comment.

“The permanent injunction is an important determination for i4i and for the rights of all patent owners,” said Loudon Owen, chairman of both i4i and McLean Watson Capital Inc., a Toronto-based venture capital firm that along with Northwater Intellectual Property Fund acquired a stake in i4i and helped fund the case against Microsoft.
    That's pretty bull****. Patent trolls need to die.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

The firm said that several years ago it approached Microsoft with a breakthrough product in data processing, only to be spurned and to see its technology show up later in versions of Microsoft Word.

That sentence makes it seem that the small company might in fact have a case.

However I think that the whole patent system should be either seriously reduced or entirely scrapped.

Software is a brilliant example... does anyone really think that software companies would not innovate if they didn't have the patent system to protect them?

Comment

Opened the thread expecting an EU ruling, was surprised to see a US ruling.
      <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

I'm not particularly surprised.

Ridiculous court rulings break down as follows:

EU: antitrust
        US: IP
        Canada: something to do with QC
        12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
        Stadtluft Macht Frei
        Killing it is the new killing it
        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I realized that US IP law as currently practiced was completely ridiculous when I found out that the RIM debacle was caused by a patent WHICH WAS GOING TO BE DENIED ANYWAY

12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
          Stadtluft Macht Frei
          Killing it is the new killing it
          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by VetLegion View Post

That sentence makes it seem that the small company might in fact have a case.

However I think that the whole patent system should be either seriously reduced or entirely scrapped.

Software is a brilliant example... does anyone really think that software companies would not innovate if they didn't have the patent system to protect them?
            'breakthrough' is a ridiculous way to put this. MS has been talking about migrating Office formats to XML formats since 1998 (when MS' much more specific patent for this was granted). This company approached MS "several years ago" (ie, after it's already been developed) with a "breakthrough" and no doubt a demand for hundreds of millions of dollars, which was...of course...spurned.

It's the patent troll MO.
            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Patent troll much more expensive then Trademark Troll™

 ?wtf
              Monkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by VetLegion
                Yes.

Comment

So who do I now have to blame for incorrectly formatting dates on this ****ing mail merge?
                  Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Do patents and IP rights really lead to more innovation? Or does it lead to stagnation of innovation, and only legal innovation?

Comment

Originally posted by Asher View Post
                      'breakthrough' is a ridiculous way to put this. MS has been talking about migrating Office formats to XML formats since 1998 (when MS' much more specific patent for this was granted). This company approached MS "several years ago" (ie, after it's already been developed) with a "breakthrough" and no doubt a demand for hundreds of millions of dollars, which was...of course...spurned.

Maybe. MS has a history of patent stealing.
                      Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by Asher View Post

Which shows how ridiculous US patent laws have become. Our congress is so damn corrupt that any industry lobby with cash can write their own legislation and have it passed as long as they buy off enough Congressmen with "campaign donations" Donations which legally politicians can personally pocket in a dozen ways after a few years (a favorite is to declare they're not running or don't need the fund so they "donate it to chartiy"; usually a charity they set up and staff with only themselves and family members then give 99.9% of the "charity money" to themselves as salaries).

Just look at how absurd the laws protecting pharmaceutical companies has become. The patent protection period (which prevents generics competing) has nearly doubled in length plus if the company can claim a "new innovation" then this overly long period can be extended over and over again. That sounds ok until you realize the FDA now excepts changes in pill dosage as "a new innovation" as well as just mixing the pill with one of dozens of standard buffers (none of which are new in any way) and suddenly the company can get years more patent protection out of a drug. Obviously this harms consumers and doesn't spur any sort of new new innovation. Yet the lobbyists write the bills themselves and the corrupt Congressmen pass them without reading them as long as the lobbyists keep paying them to do it.
                        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

There is a reason MicroSoft is a virtual monopoly. They've crushed every company they've come up against.

Like here, stealing someone else's technology. Like in Korea, but buying out and then trashing a rival wordprocessing software company. By proposing "vaporware" which was supposed for free what a the software of a rival company was selling, then after the rival company's sales evaporated and it declared bankruptcy, never coming out with with the promised free software.

How can anyone support Microsoft?? And how can you guys say, if MS has been stealing software, then the patent laws -- which protect inventors and inventions -- must be scraped? Patents are so important, they're written into the Constitution!

Comment

I thought vaporware was proposed or promised software which the company never actually delivers. Like Duke Nuke'em 3D (or what ever it was called) which supposedly was just around the corner for a decade plus but never actually hit market.
                            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by chequita guevara View Post
                              Maybe. MS has a history of patent stealing.
                              "patent stealing"...that's an interesting phrase.

Which patents has MS stole?

Comment

Working...
                              X