US Drone Strike in Pakistan Kills Mehsud

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US Drone Strike in Pakistan Kills Mehsud

Reports this morning state that a bomb from a US drone killed Mehsud a couple of days ago. Earlier reports were that only his second wife (his favorite) was killed in the strike.

There have been several people on Apolyton who have argued against US drone strikes in Pakistan, because it will inflame sentiment against the US. I'm on the fence on this policy, but haven't heard those arguing against the policy provide a full accounting of the positives of such drone strikes, such as killing people like Mehsud.

Is this a good time to reevaluate the policy?

Here's the lede...

By PETER SPIEGEL and JAY SOLOMON

WASHINGTON – The leader of the Pakistani Taliban was killed in a drone strike by U.S. forces, Pakistani officials and one of the man's aides said.

Pakistani news accounts previously reported that the air strike, carried out early Wednesday morning, had killed one of the wives of the militant leader, Baitullah Mehsud. But Pakistani officials said Friday Mr. Mehsud is dead and that the Taliban had cordoned off the area, stopping anyone from getting near the site.

"I confirm that Baitullah Mehsud and his wife died in the American missile attack in South Waziristan,'' Taliban commander Kafayat Ullah told the Associated Press by telephone. He wouldn't give any further details.

Reports of Mr. Mehsud's death have circulated in the past, but a U.S. defense official said Pakistani officials appeared to be more certain this time that Mr. Mehsud had been killed. A U.S. counterterrorism official said there are "strong indications" that Mehsud was killed.
    Earlier

Baitullah Mehsud had emerged as one of the most wanted Islamist extremists in Pakistan's lawless western tribal regions, leading a large army of militants that have fought U.S. and Pakistani forces on both sides of the Afghan-Pakistani border.

Pakistani officials accused Mr. Mehsud of being behind a number of high-profile terrorist attacks, including the assassination of former Prime Minister Benazir Bhutto in 2007.
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

On a more serious note, there is a repeating problem with these conflicts the US is dealing in right now. Noone has a clear agenda on what has to be accomplished. At least not in public. That will, in time, accumulate to more and more public discontent.
      urgh.NSFW

Comment

I really don't see the difference if the bomb comes from a drone, dropped from a plane, or as a result of lasar targetting.
        It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I declare victory in the WAR on TERRORtm
          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

There is no difference, other than keeping military personnel safe(r).
            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand View Post
              There is no difference, other than keeping military personnel safe(r).
              except that you are less of a man if you use a remote controlled drone to kill a guy versus stabbing him yourself

to the pussification of the US military
              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by rah View Post
                I really don't see the difference if the bomb comes from a drone, dropped from a plane, or as a result of lasar targetting.
                The practical difference is that there are no US troops in Pakistan, but the drones do patrol the skies of the border regions. The number of errant strikes is increased and probably the number of civilian casualties is higher.

IIRC, Drake has also argued that drone attacks also support the propaganda of the Taliban of the faceless American.
                I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

So any word on how many wedding guests were killed?

Comment

Originally posted by Sava View Post
                    except that you are less of a man if you use a remote controlled drone to kill a guy versus stabbing him yourself

Do something yourself before running your mouth, fool.

Claims by anyone over "faceless" isn't going to change if pilots fly planes. Do you see any faces when you see a plane overhead?

Comment

Originally posted by Sava View Post
                      pfft stabbing

you should rip his heart out with your bare hands.

last time i heard, you didn't exactly hunt your food and ripped its meat from its body to cook. You simply went to the supermarket where it was neatly packaged in a way that doesn't remind a living animal.

to the pussification of the western society

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand View Post
                        Do something yourself before running your mouth, fool.
                        Give me a massive military budget and I'll be happy to bomb your ass from thousands of miles away

Claims by anyone over "faceless" isn't going to change if pilots fly planes. Do you see any faces when you see a plane overhead?
                        So you are saying US pilots are pussies? wow sloww, way to bash the military
                        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Sirotnikov View Post
                          pfft stabbing

you should rip his heart out with your bare hands.
                          heart muscle is a ***** to get out from under the finger nails

last time i heard, you didn't exactly hunt your food and ripped its meat from its body to cook. You simply went to the supermarket where it was neatly packaged in a way that doesn't remind a living animal.

to the pussification of the western society
                          I've killed and prepared my own food before, fish, deer (although I had help with it), chicken (chopped the head off of many a chicken), pig (roasted many over open fire) and turkey

i spent summers on a farm when i was a kid
                          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Pity that no one warned you that eating pig **** would rot your brain before it was too late.
                            Gaius Mucius Scaevola Sinistra
                            Japher: "crap, did I just post in this thread?"
                            "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
                            From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Comment

Good riddance to Mehsud!

Sava, how many men have you killed, by any method? Killing with a knife is very messy, to say nothing of the danger.

We were attacked remotely by Bin Ladin. Seems fair to return the favor to those who hosted him.
                              No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
                              "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Working...
                              X