Wild! Ohio family visits 52 zoos in 52 weeks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wild! Ohio family visits 52 zoos in 52 weeks

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) -- It's been a wild year for members of an Ohio family, who say they've accomplished a goal of visiting 52 zoos in 52 weeks.

Columbus resident Marla Taviano, her husband and three daughters began last August with the Louisville Zoo in Kentucky and spent weekends and vacations going to zoos across the country. Their visits included the Dallas Zoo, New York's Central Park Zoo and the San Diego Zoo. Their Web site shows they wound up hitting 55 animal parks to see giraffes, reindeer and snow leopards.

Taviano says she got the idea while trying to think of an adventure that would feel like traveling the world and seeing exotic creatures but on a budget.

The family's 22,000-mile tour ended Saturday with a visit to their hometown Columbus Zoo and Aquarium.

Taviano plans a book about their journey.
    I guess "on a budget" is a relative term. Not working and travelling the country going to zoos for a year doesn't meet my criteria for on a budget.
    I'm sure it was fun.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

It says they went on weekends and vacations, not that they didn't work for a year.
    Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
    Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
    We've got both kinds

Comment

"Oh look, another goddamned ostrich!"
      <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Columbus zoo is where Jack Hanna works out of.
        Monkey!!!

Comment

Ohio family visits 52 zoos in 52 weeks

Have they been to Poly, do you think?

Comment

If they went to 55 zoos and drove 22,000 miles, I'll kiss your ass if it was weekends and ordinary vacations, MikeH.
            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

Originally posted by loinburger View Post
              "Oh look, another goddamned ostrich!"
              Pretty much. Thank God not many zoos have pandas. The only thing worse than seeing an animal that just lays there doing nothing is seeing an animal that just lays there doing nothing...52 times.
              1011 1100
              Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

am I the only one who thinks zoos are smelly, and the animals probably don't like being locked up?

Comment

Re: Wild! Ohio family visits 52 zoos in 52 weeks

Captivating!
                  I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by Dis View Post
                    am I the only one who thinks zoos are smelly, and the animals probably don't like being locked up?
                    If they had the ability to reason, I imagine many would prefer their extended life span, assuming it to be in a modern setting that reflects their natural living conditions.

Comment

Elephants probably don't, since a confined space (less than several square miles each to roam) causes them health problems. Don't know about the others.
                      1011 1100
                      Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

I saw an interview with this family on TV yesterday. They said that the Henry Doorly Zoo in Omaha is the best zoo they visited and much better than the overrated San Diego Zoo.
                        KH FOR OWNER!
                        ASHER FOR CEO!!
                        GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Our zoo is pathetic. But I assume they visited it. It's in North Las Vegas (or right at the edge). Gangland is right up the street. I'm not interested enough to look at the website and see if they saw our zoo. I went there once as a kid. All I remember is the smell.

I suppose some people like the smell of animal dung.

But to me a zoo in the middle of a city, not to mention in the middle of the bad part of the city, makes no sense. I'm surprised the animals haven't been killed by stray gunfire yet. . It's a good thing it's surrounded by high walls.

Comment

Working...
                          X