"Thou Shall Have No Other Gods Before Me"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Thou Shall Have No Other Gods Before Me"

I understand the first six words of this Commandment. They make perfect sense in a monotheistic religion. --But what of the last two?? "Before me."

What are they there for? Is God saying it's okay to worship other gods as long as they come "after Him," that is, as long as He's Number One?

I know what I think. What do you folks think?

Bad translation ?

Edit: oh, no, forgot that accordingly to Ben, the bible is translated correctly to english
    With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Originally, the Hebrews believed there were other gods. They were only allowed to worship this one, however. Later, they came to deny the existence of all other gods.
      Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Yet another atheist discussion on religion.
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand View Post

Well, we are the only one that can discuss religion without get into hissy fits
          With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Originally posted by BlackCat View Post
            Well, we are the only one that can discuss religion without get into hissy fits

And is Zkrib an atheist?
            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand View Post
              We're more objective.
              Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by chequita guevara View Post
                Originally, the Hebrews believed there were other gods. They were only allowed to worship this one, however. Later, they came to deny the existence of all other gods.
                Well, Che's right about this one. The commandment made perfect sense back then. Yet another example why people should not take the bible too literally.
                "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
                "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

I was reading about this recently in The Great Transformation. If I remember correctly Judaism wasn't monotheistic til around four hundred bce. Prior to that Yahweh was the esteemed local god, but other gods were still worshipped for their specific purviews (eg Yahweh was a warrior god, so the jews also had to worship a neighboring fertility god to ensure a good harvest)
                  <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

If I remember correctly Judaism wasn't monotheistic til around four hundred bce.
                    Wrong. Judaism was always a monotheistic religion, but many in the Israelite nation chose to worship other gods and practice other religions, sometimes in conjunction with Judaism. God's anger at this resulted in Israel being punished by the destruction of their temple and the exiling of the nation to Babylon.
                    In the heyday of the Israelite nation during the reign of King David monotheism was widely practiced, and during the time of Moses and Joshua, At other times they often went against the teachings of their own religion and incorporated polytheistic practices in their lives. However Judaism itself has always remained monotheistic, peole often ignored its teachings though and incorporated other teachings into their religious practices.
                    The same thing happens today as many 'Christians' include religious practices not mentioned in the Bible, likewise there are divisions of Islam which encourage practices not mentioned in the Koran, in particular some of the ****e sects among others, which is why the ****es and Sunnis fight each other.

Comment

Originally posted by trev View Post
                      Wrong. Judaism was always a monotheistic religion, but many in the Israelite nation chose to worship other gods and practice other religions, sometimes in conjunction with Judaism. God's anger at this resulted in Israel being punished by the destruction of their temple and the exiling of the nation to Babylon.
                      In the heyday of the Israelite nation during the reign of King David monotheism was widely practiced, and during the time of Moses and Joshua, At other times they often went against the teachings of their own religion and incorporated polytheistic practices in their lives. However Judaism itself has always remained monotheistic, peole often ignored its teachings though and incorporated other teachings into their religious practices.
                      The same thing happens today as many 'Christians' include religious practices not mentioned in the Bible, likewise there are divisions of Islam which encourage practices not mentioned in the Koran, in particular some of the ****e sects among others, which is why the ****es and Sunnis fight each other.
                      Maybe, but if god got into a hissy fit back then and made a lot of noise, why don't he do it now where things are even worse ?

Steven Weinberg

Comment

If somebody's only source for religious history is a (inerrant?) bible then the only conclusion that can be drawn is that the jews were always monotheists. History is written by the winners, and monotheism won.
                        <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Maybe, but if god got into a hissy fit back then and made a lot of noise, why don't he do it now where things are even worse ?
                          He will, just giving a few more people time to repent. But if you read the prophecies in the book of Revelations, catatrosphic events are forecast to happen numerous times, single events in some instances killing 1/3 or 1/4 of the worlds population. The world will be punished, repent and avoid the punishment.

Comment

Will do. Am I supposed to sacrifice my first-born son or will I be provided with a ram?
                            John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

Any religion that uses fear to get results is bound to destroy the minds and lives of a culture foolish enough to embrace it.

Like America.
                              Order of the Fly
                              Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

Working...
                              X