No announcement yet.

FCC steps in to investigate Apple, AT&T over Google Voice app rejection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A tiff between companies that aren't playing nice?! Apple rejected Google Voice while having other apps with SMS capability. That's far more "probable cause" than something on a tax filing that looks iffy (Hell, sometimes we don't even need that).

And the FCC is doing it because it has regulatory power. DoJ can't do everything... unless you want to expand the DoJ exponentially.
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Why does Apple have to "play fair"? It dosen't control the market. It's not the government. There is no reason it cannot play favorites with its own product.
      No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

To be clearer, anti-trust is the DoJ's territory. Why is the FCC expanding into areas it has not been established to handle?

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Monk View Post
          Why does Apple have to "play fair"?
          Because those are the rules.
          Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

To be clearer, anti-trust is the DoJ's territory. Why is the FCC expanding into areas it has not been established to handle?
            This is not specifically an anti-trust issue (there's no monopoly, AFAIK).

The FCC regulates this market, if they see something that rubs them the wrong way (and this Apple/AT&T thing has rubbed the vast majority of people the wrong way), it can be investigated. If the FCC determines they are not breaking any rules, they can still make new regulation that will prevent this in the future...if it's in the interest of the public.
            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
            Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

i think they just had a problem with the app because it played a file that said "bababooey" when it booted up.
              I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
              [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

Comment

Why does Apple have to "play fair"? It dosen't control the market. It's not the government. There is no reason it cannot play favorites with its own product.
                I'm assuming you have heard of the Communications Act of 1934 and the Telecommunications Act of 1996 (which amends the 34 Act)?

FCC has jurisdiction on this issue (and most wireless communications in general) based on their regulatory power. It's not just about obscenity on TV.
                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

The Bureau develops and executes policies and procedures for fast, fair licensing of all wireless services, from fixed microwave links to amateur radio to mobile broadband services. We oversee nearly two million licenses, conduct auctions to award services licenses, and manage the tower registration process. We also produce an annual assessment of the wireless industry -- the Mobile Wireless Competition Report -- and manage interactive web tools such as the Spectrum Dashboard, which deliver to the public key information on wireless services in a simple, transparent fashion.

The Wireless Telecommunications Bureau (WTB) handles all FCC domestic wireless telecommunications programs and policies, except those involving public safety, satellite communications or broadcasting, including licensing, enforcement, and regulatory functions. Wireless communications services include cellular telephone, paging, personal communications services, and other commercial and private radio services. The Bureau also is responsible for implementing the competitive bidding authority for spectrum auctions, given to the Commission by the 1993 Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act.

The Bureau develops and executes policies and procedures for fast, fair licensing of all wireless services, from fixed microwave links to amateur radio to mobile broadband services. We oversee nearly two million licenses, conduct auctions to award services licenses, and manage the tower registration process. We also produce an annual assessment of the wireless industry -- the Mobile Wireless Competition Report -- and manage interactive web tools such as the Spectrum Dashboard, which deliver to the public key information on wireless services in a simple, transparent fashion.

The Spectrum and Competition Policy Division is responsible for formulating and implementing spectrum, competition, and infrastructure policies that promote access to and efficient use of radio spectrum for wireless communications and encourage competition in the telecommunications marketplace.

Comment

Yes, and the way it has forced its way into saying what software can or cannot be provided on one cellphone out of many is just another example of the needless expansion of government power.

Are you really going to tell me that this is a good use of my money?

Comment

encourage competition in the telecommunications marketplace

Why should Apple get a free pass on being investigated for potentially running afoul of FCC regulations?

Or do you really just not know how the executive branch works?

Comment

Yes, and the way it has forced its way into saying what software can or cannot be provided on one cellphone out of many is just another example of the needless expansion of government power.

Are you really going to tell me that this is a good use of my money?
                        Yes. I don't think you understand the ramifications of Google Voice.

It's a run-around of the traditional telecom industry. No wonder they're trying to block it. AT&T is trying to stall innovation. The FCC is right to intervene, and it is a good use of money.
                        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

I know how it works all too well.

How does forcing competing cellphones to have the exact same software suites encourage competition? Where's the freedom of choice?

Should we require all auto manufacturers to install OnStar as well?

Comment

Originally posted by Asher View Post
                            Yes. I don't think you understand the ramifications of Google Voice.

It's a run-around of the traditional telecom industry. No wonder they're trying to block it. AT&T is trying to stall innovation. The FCC is right to intervene, and it is a good use of money.
                            Don't use AT&T and don't use the iPhone. Let the market handle it.

Comment

To be fair, I think cell phones are a little different than other business areas. First, telecommunications has traditionally been a monopoly and we should guard against any return to those days. Second, cell phone companies are using licensed airwaves. The airwaves are still owned by the community at large and it makes sense that the community would institute rules on the use of its property.
                              I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by DanS View Post
                                To be fair, I think cell phones are a little different than other business areas. First, telecommunications has traditionally been a monopoly and we should guard against any return to those days. Second, cell phone companies are using licensed airwaves. The airwaves are still owned by the community at large and it makes sense that the community would institute rules on the use of its property.

Cell phones are using OUR public airwaves. They should be subject to higher regulation.

Comment

Working...
                                X