Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hillary Clinton is Dead!!!

Long live Hillary Clinton!!!

Sarah Palin has now morphed into what the Republicans always caricatured Hillary Clinton as: preachy, screechy and angry.

July 29, 2009
    Op-Ed Columnist
    Sarah Grabs the Grievance Grab Bag From Hillary
    By MAUREEN DOWD

WASHINGTON

The woman who was prematurely counted in is out. And the woman who was prematurely counted out is in.

Goodbye, Sarah. Hello, Hillary.

In their vivid twin performances Sunday — Hillary on “Meet the Press” in Washington and Sarah at her farewell picnic in Fairbanks — two of the most celebrated and polarizing women in American political history offered a fascinating contrast.

Hillary, who so often in the past came across as aggrieved, paranoid and press-loathing, was confident and comfortable in her role as top diplomat, discussing the world with mastery and shrugging off suggestions that she has been disappeared by her former rival, the president.

Sarah, who was once a blazingly confident media darling, came across as aggrieved, paranoid and press-loathing in her new role as bizarre babe-at-large, a Nixon with hair extensions ranting about “American apologetics,” which sounds like a cross between apologists and Dianetics.

Sarah once criticized Hillary for being a whiny presidential contender, arguing that women who want “to progress this country” should not complain about being under a “sharper microscope,” but instead should just work harder to prove themselves capable. Now Sarah is a whiny presidential contender, complaining about the sharper microscope that women wanting to progress this country are under and rejecting advice to work harder to prove herself capable.

The Alaskan who shot to stardom a year ago as the tough embodiment of Diana the Huntress has now stepped down as governor and morphed into what the Republicans always caricatured Hillary as — preachy, screechy and angry.

And Hillary, who is at long last in a job that she earned on her own merits, has lost that irritating question mark she used to carry around above her head like a thunder cloud: What is Hillary owed because of what she gave up, and went through, for Bill?

During the campaign, Hillary got in trouble for pretending to be more than she was, for bragging about dodging bullets in Bosnia and making peace in Northern Ireland. Just so, Sarah got in trouble for pretending to be knowledgeable about foreign affairs just because she lived across the Bering Strait from Russia.

But now Hillary does not have to tell stretchers. She’s fully qualified for her job and doesn’t sound defensive. Now Sarah has taken up Hillary’s old habit of keeping grudges and playing the victim and blaming the press for her own mistakes in judgment and gaffes.

If Sarah’s problem on the trail was that she knew too little, Hillary’s was that she knew too much. Before her misty turn in New Hampshire, Hillary’s wonkiness got in the way of her ability to make people comfortable.

Sarah, lacking Hillary’s cerebral side, has decided to wing it, Quayle-style, and go only for the visceral. That’s why she now sounds like a demagogue, embodying grievances and playing to people’s worst impulses.

Hillary’s radiant robustness, on the other hand, even with a sore elbow, makes the dictators in Iran and North Korea we’re so worried about seem like frail, little creatures.

Obama advisers say privately that the president truly respects the woman he ran against, and that they have a good relationship, so good it has even surprised Hillary. Certainly, she doesn’t have to worry that this president’s gaze is going to drift over her shoulder to some pretty thing behind her. In this White House, Barack Obama is the pretty thing who is taken with Hillary’s serious, smartest-girl-at-Wellesley aura. In a funny way, he’s the man of her dreams.

His support of her has allowed her to keep her paranoia in check — even with Richard Holbrooke and Joe Biden biting off parts of her portfolio.

Just to make sure it stays that way, Obama advisers told Hillary that she could not bring on board Sidney Blumenthal, her former aide de camp nicknamed G.K., “Grassy Knoll,” for his tendency to stoke her grievances.

In her cuckoo speech in Fairbanks, Sarah warned Alaskans to “be wary of accepting government largess. It doesn’t come free.” Funny coming from a woman who charged the Alaskan taxpayers every time she worked from Wasilla.

She also went after that old conservative villain Hollywood, saying, “They use these delicate, tiny, very talented celebrity starlets” for “their anti-Second Amendment causes.”

Sarah seems happily oblivious that she benefited from Hollywood casting techniques. Just as movie directors have beautiful young actresses playing nuclear physicists and Harvard professors, knowing the fusion of sex appeal and a heavyweight profession will excite, the novelty of a beautiful former beauty queen and TV reporter cast in a powerful role that has featured dour, gray old men like Dick Cheney was thrilling. At first.

As McCain pal and Republican strategist Mike Murphy so sagely observed recently: “If Sarah Palin looked like Golda Meir, would we even be talking about her today?”

Sarah should follow her own advice to Hillary and work harder to be capable. Until then, she’s all cage, no bird.
    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
    "Capitalism ho!"

Hillary Clinton is Dead!!!
    Long live Hillary Clinton!!!

What's wrong with you man. Don't get my hopes up.
    be free

Comment

A well thought out juxtaposition.

Comment

no man can take a woman seriously when he wants to bang the crap out of her. That would be Sarah's problem. Hilary doesn't suffer from this problem. I think there also is the slight possibility Hilary is smarter than Sarah Palin.

Comment

This was a dirty joke...like the party I went to where they said cake, there was no cake.

She isn't dead, WHY ISN'T SHE DEAD?!
          "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the Blood of Patriots and tyrants" Thomas Jefferson
          "I can merely plead that I'm in the presence of a superior being."- KrazyHorse

Comment

I wouldn't be so sure about that.

Hillary's certainly more knowledgable.

12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
            Stadtluft Macht Frei
            Killing it is the new killing it
            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Hillary's been a great boss so far. Way, way better than Condi. Not as good as Powell, but Powell walked on water.

Hillary.
              "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

We already know that Sarah hasn't done anything to write home about...but, what has Hillary done since being appointed? Not that I'm saying there is anything wrong with her doing nothing...

Comment

Quite a lot, actually, though it's not the kind of stuff that makes headlines. In particular, changes regarding how State uses technology and when and how it takes on private sector partners has been long overdue and most welcome. Of the headlines-making stuff, I'd say bringing in Richard Holbrooke as special envoy to Afghanistan and Pakistan has had a pretty dramatic and immediate effect.
                  "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

In what way?
                    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

A couple of ways. First, it's treating Afghansitan and Pakistan as the same problem, which they are; under Bush, we had to try to get Afghanistan sorted while pretending that Pakistan was our dear friend and trying not to upset them. Second, it's given direction of that problem to an extremely talented diplomat who also happens to be a hard-charging S.O.B. -- very few people in Washington can get things done the way Holbrooke can. And third, it's created an entire, very talented chain of command that's all singing from the same sheet of music; Eikenberry and Ricciadone are sharp, effective guys in their own right, but they're also Holbrooke's guys and now they're Holbrooke's force multipliers.

The whole thing could still go to hell in a handbasket, but for the first time since we invaded, we've got a focused policy and an organized, powerful diplomatic apparatus tackling the problem. That's about 7 years overdue.

Comment

Good explanation.

If the policy re Pakistan is changed and the plan is to not pretend they are dear friends, what incentive do they have to co-operate at all? Threats to reduce aid?
                        "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                        "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Rufus T. Firefly View Post
                          Hillary's been a great boss so far. Way, way better than Condi. Not as good as Powell, but Powell walked on water.

Hillary.
                          You may be confusing floating on water with walking on water my friend

$h!t floats, it dont walk

Powell was ok, Condi was well, a yes maam, steppin n fetching

Hillary well, dang, after her 8 years running the country while her spoused chased skirts, she oughtta do something good for the country.

Henry Kissinger was one of the finest ever-FACT

Most others pale in comparison
                          Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

Originally posted by Wezil View Post
                            Good explanation.

If the policy re Pakistan is changed and the plan is to not pretend they are dear friends, what incentive do they have to co-operate at all? Threats to reduce aid?
                            Yes. That and the fear that, the more they piss us off, the stronger they make our friendship with India (the fact that the Mumbai attacks originated within Pakistan, and with the support of elements of the Pakistani government, already has them fearing this possibility). In truth, though, we're not so much treating Pakistan as the enemy as we are getting them to understand that the Taliban are pretty much wholly the creation of Pakistan's intelligence service (the ISI), which continues to support them. Pakistan has to clean house, but the government itself is afraid of the ISI. We're trying to get them to man up, while also providing political cover for the job. But we're finally indicating that our patience is not limitless.

Comment

I'm afraid you may be asking/expecting/demanding more than the P- government can deliver. You are essentially asking them to exert central control over regions of the country that have never been under strong central control. The fear of course is political instability as the government wars with it's own people. Adding to the problem (from the Pakistani POV) is the appearance of the government being little more than a puppet to carry out the US agenda. The frequent US violations of Pakistan sovereignty (drones) further fuels this perception.

In short, threatening the government with economic sanctions (of whatever sort) may be playing a game of chicken that the US really doesn't want to lose...

Comment

Working...
                              X