Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chicken Tikka Masala is actually... Scottish?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chicken Tikka Masala is actually... Scottish?

Mohammad Sarwar, Labour MP for Glasgow Central, is claiming that the popular Indian dish Chicken Tikka Masala was actually a Scottish invention saying that the popular Indian dish was actually a westernized version of Indian food and should get special protected status in the EU. Personally, I find the claim dubious and more then a bit funny but I report and you decide.

Glasgow 'invented' Tikka Masala

An MP has called for Glasgow to be officially recognised as the home of Britain's favourite curry, the Chicken Tikka Masala.

The dish is one of the most popular in the UK.

Mohammad Sarwar, Labour MP for Glasgow Central, said he wanted the city to be given EU Protected Designation of Origin status for the curry.

He has tabled an early day motion in the House of Commons calling for other politicians to back his campaign.

It has previously been suggested that the mild curry was created decades ago in a Glaswegian kitchen by Asian immigrants catering to Western palates.

Mr Sarwar claimed the dish owed its origins to the culinary skills of Ali Ahmed Aslam, proprietor of the Shish Mahal restaurant in Park Road in the west end of the city.

He is said to have prepared a sauce using spices soaked in a tin of condensed tomato soup after a customer said his meal was too dry.

Glaswegian twist

The restaurant owner wants the dish to have the same legal protection as other famous Scottish foods like Arbroath smokies.

Mr Sarwar said: "Glasgow's contribution to popular cuisine deserves to be more widely recognised.

"Tikka Masala is perhaps one of the earliest examples of the modern fashion for 'fusion' cuisine.

"Glaswegians loved the flavour of Asian spices but still wanted a bit of gravy on their meat. The Shish Mahal pioneered great Asian food with a Glasgow twist."

He added: "I am very hopeful that the EU will give Chicken Tikka Masala the official stamp of Glasgow origin."

Mr Sarwar's campaign is being backed by Glasgow City Council.
    Story from BBC NEWS:

Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Yes, of course it is. And a Balti is from Birmingham. Curry FTW.
    Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
    Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
    We've got both kinds

Comment

I know nothing about the masala issue, but it's certainly not out of the realm of possibility. Maybe it's like general Tso's chicken in North America.
      "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
      "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
      "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

Um... duh?

Is Oerdin really this uninformed?
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

The main problem is, it's so similar to butter chicken

Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
          Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
          We've got both kinds

Comment

True, but I hope that Oerdin just got confused between Chicken Tikka and Chicken Tikka Masala.
            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

My favourite line has to be this:

He has tabled an early day motion in the House of Commons calling for other politicians to back his campaign.
              I guess that's one way to prove it's from Glasgow...
              Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

It's a bit mild for my tastes, to be fair
                Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

That brings to mind this classic sketch

Comment

Working...
                  X