Cryonics.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cryonics.

I learned recently that cryogenics is just the study of inducing low temperatures and observing its effects on materials. What happened to Fry in Futurama is actually referred to as cryonics.

Anyway, while I don't plan on dying, I do realize that this may not be entirely within my power to control. Consequently, I've recently come to the conclusion that, when I have the money to do so, I'm going to sign up to be cryonically preserved in the event of my death. The initial investment for this process is pretty hefty, and there's an annual maintenance fee for your body, but with life insurance the prospect becomes significantly more affordable.

The one downside to cryopreservation beyond cost is the minor detail that, at present, there is no known method of successfully reviving an adult human body. Cryobiologists believe that the current methods used to preserve bodies allow for the possibility of revival in the future, but at this point it's still hand-waived with nanotechnology and the like.

A significant number of people that opt for cryopreservation only get their heads frozen, with the belief being that the brain is the only part necessary for the continuation of consciousness. Hand-waiving revival of the brain is done not with nanotechnology but with mind uploading and emulation on computers! Good stuff.

Despite the pure science fiction of coming back to life in the future, I believe this is a viable and low risk opportunity to extend my life. There is a questions of whether or not the me that is awakened (either in a computer program or a regenerated body or whatever) in the future will be me, but I believe it's impossible to verify that and as such not worth thinking about (anymore than I already have).

Has anyone else ever considered the possibility? Think it's all hooey? Already signed up? Successfully been revived? Let's hear it.
    Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

What if the Earth blows up but your body survives and remains frozen in space until the end of time? You'll never get to Heaven.
    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
    "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by DaShi View Post
      What if the Earth blows up but your body survives and remains frozen in space until...
      some alien comes along and revives you so that you can be his sex slave?

Comment

good sex, bad sex, or questionable sex?
        Monkey!!!

Comment

Let me say it. Panda sex.
          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Revival via aliens seems unlikely unless the aliens have a sample of a functioning human.
            Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
            "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Tentacle sex.

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael View Post
                Revival via aliens seems unlikely unless the aliens have a sample of a functioning human.
                They'll download your brain into one of their gimps, because aliens are sick like that.
                “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael View Post
                  If they captured the Voyager with all those text books and Da Vinci diagrams, or were sufficiently similar to humans in terms of basic biochemistry, or were advanced enough to figure us out using a supercomputer, or found fossils or other frozen humans, etc., you could be in for a rough time.

Comment

Insert walt disney joke here
                    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                    Stadtluft Macht Frei
                    Killing it is the new killing it
                    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Working...
                    X