Local Dishes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Local Dishes

Cincinnati is a strange place when it comes to food. Local favorites include White Castle, Frisch's Big Boy, and Skyline Chili; all of which I find repulsive, though I do eat a white castle now and then. While it is obvious how disgusting White Castle is, Big Boy is similarly disgusting you just sit have a waitress to add to the atmosphere of indifference given to the food and the service.

Skyline, however, is an entirely different monster. Yes, there's waitresses who are 21 working along side their 15 year old daughter, but the food... Lets just say that I've gotten sick of the salad there, not to mention that the chili is NOT chili. It's actually a concoction of secret ingredients, the most prominent being cinnamon, poured over spaghetti noddles and topped with processed cheese, onions, and whatever else your heart desires. Calling is chili is not only misleading, but a down right lie. If you are ever near one of these establishments I implore you not to enter.

LaRosa's pizza is another local favorite, serving up pizzas with way too much sugar in the sauce and not enough toppings. Then, to add to the 'flavor', they let it sit on a counter somewhere for 30+ minutes so that the cheese coagulates and a proper amount of fly droppings are allowed to mingle with the pie... then, you are dared to eat it.

On the plus side, Goetta festival is coming up!

What's you local flavor.
    Monkey!!!

Hot pot. Endless tubs of hot pot. I was sick of it after day 2.
    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
    "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

There is something wrong with you, Japher. Skyline Chili is delicious.
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Oh, in Atlanta, there is some pretty decent soul food and barbeque (REAL barbeque). There also tends to be a decent amount of Mexican, East Asian, and South Asian immigrants, so you can get some pretty tasty ethnic food in certain neighborhoods (ie, Buford Highway).
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Goldstar is slightly less repulsive than Skyline, though still inedible. Graeters is excellent - the ice cream is good, but the whipped cream is like heart attack on a sundae. Back in Chicago I was a big fan of italian beef in general and Portillos in particular, with Oberweiss Dairy for my ice cream fix.
          <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Graeters is awesome
            Monkey!!!

Comment

Chili, Tex-Mex, BBQ and chicken-fried steak.
              Last edited by SlowwHand; July 21, 2009, 12:42.
              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Crabcakes
                12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                Killing it is the new killing it
                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Working...
                X