Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bill Gates Wants a Better Beer Keg

Gates

Gee, what were Bill Gates and Nathan Myhrvold doing when they dreamed this one up?

Microsoft's chairman and its former chief technology officer are among the inventors listed on a series of patent applications for "temperature-stabilized storage containers" -- super-high-tech devices intended for use in the storage and transport of "water or flavored water, dairy product or fruit juice, carbonated soda, wine, beer or distilled spirits, for example."

OK, so they threw a bunch of other beverages in there, too, but why else would a bunch of geeks imagine a temperature-controlled liquid container if not for the noble purpose of keeping beer cold?

As one of their patent filings explains, such a container "may store a beverage such as beer, for example, at a temperature appropriate for serving depending upon the type of beer." In addition, the filings says, the container "may be used to store wine at an optimal storage temperature range, generally 50 to 55 degrees."

It sounds almost like a high-tech take on the Coors "cold-activated can," which signals the internal temperature based on the color of the Rocky Mountains on the outside. Beyond sensing (and controlling) the temperature, the storage systems described in the patent filings would include electronic displays, in addition to transmitters and sensors -- apparently to let people monitor the state of the liquid inside.

Although the filings refer to the devices as containers, suggesting that they would be relatively large, the applications also leave open the possibility of something smaller. Reads one line, "The integrally thermally sealed container may contain a single or multiple servings of the liquid or beverage, which may be used in a single sitting."

If granted, the patent would be assigned to Searete LLC, an entity tied to Myhrvold's Intellectual Ventures, a Bellevue-based invention house and patent company. Myhrvold's company conducts regular brainstorming sessions in which Gates takes part. Their previous filings included several seeking patents on an electromagnetic engine.

For the temperature-controlled liquid storage containers and related technologies, the group submitted a series of patent applications in December 2007, but they didn't become public until earlier this month. Related patent applications describe similar temperature-controlled storage devices for medicine and other substances.

(Thanks to eagle-eyed "theodp" for letting us know about the filings.)

Is there any doubt about the fact that he's one of the greatest men in history?
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Weren't some of these patents for their theory of building a fleet of ships to cool sections of the ocean to break up hurricanes.
    It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

This would be useful for the dissemination of live vaccines into poor regions of the world.
      “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
      "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by rah View Post
        Weren't some of these patents for their theory of building a fleet of ships to cool sections of the ocean to break up hurricanes.
        Or create them.
        “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
        "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by rah View Post
          I believe so. I think Gates has become the living embodyment of a science fiction writer's idea of a philanthrophist.
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

Originally posted by DaShi View Post
            This would be useful for the dissemination of live vaccines into poor regions of the world.
            Or, more importantly, the keeping cold of beer. Try to keep your eye on the ball, DaShi.
            Solomwi is very wise. - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

The beer has been mentioned several times already.
              "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

The beer has been mentioned several times already.
                Which makes it that much stranger that your mind was able to drift to such trivialities.

Comment

Why should I repeat something said several times in the first post?
                  "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Why should I repeat something said several times in the first post?
                    I never said you should. But why should you get distracted by trivialities like vaccinating poor people when far more important topics have already been brought up?

Comment

I think this proves that DaShi is really a communist.

Comment

Comment

Stop being a racist.

12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                          Stadtluft Macht Frei
                          Killing it is the new killing it
                          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by Solomwi View Post
                            I never said you should. But why should you get distracted by trivialities like vaccinating poor people when far more important topics have already been brought up?
                            Fine. Ha ha ha. Your joke was so funny. I'm glad that we could spend 3 posts each on it.
                            "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Fine. Ha ha ha. Your joke was so funny. I'm glad that we could spend 3 posts each on it.
                              Yes, now get back on topic, beer.

Comment

Working...
                              X