X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Truly makes me wonder...

Madoff Reportedly En Route to North Carolina to Begin Sentence

Monday, July 13, 2009 Associated Press
    WASHINGTON — Disgraced financier Bernard Madoff has been moved out of a New York lockup on his way to a North Carolina facility to begin serving his 150-year sentence, a law enforcement official said Monday.

Madoff is headed to the Butner federal prison, according to the official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because the official was not authorized to discuss prisoner transfers.

A spokeswoman for the Bureau of Prisons, Traci Billingsley, would only say late Monday afternoon that Madoff was not at a Bureau of Prisons facility. The bureau does not discuss transfers until prisoners reach their destination.

Madoff's attorney Ira Sorkin declined comment Monday, saying, "We have not been advised yet."

Madoff, 71, was sentenced last month after pleading guilty in March to charges that his investment advisory business was a multibillion-dollar scheme that wiped out thousands of investors and ruined charities.

Authorities said Madoff had carried out the fraud for at least two decades before confessing to his sons in December that his investment business was a fraud and that he had lost as much as $50 billion.
    The Butner Federal Correctional Complex, located about 45 miles northwest of Raleigh, includes two medium-security facilities, a low-security facility and a hospital, according to the Bureau of Prisons Web site.

Among the well-known criminals being held at Butner are:

• John Rigas, founder of Adelphia Communications, and his son, Tim, the company's chief financial officer. They were convicted on multiple charges of securities fraud, conspiracy to commit bank fraud and bank fraud.

• Jonathan Pollard, the American convicted of spying for Israel more than two decades ago.

• Omar Abdel-Rahman, also known as the blind sheik, who was sentenced to life in prison in 1995 for his role in a plot to kill Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak and blow up New York City landmarks, including the United Nations. He was sentenced to life in prison in 1995 and moved to Butner in 2007.
    http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,...est=latestnews
    And this is my wonder...
    I have one question. How does one serve 150 year life sentence? Does the man die and his rotting corpse has to sit in that cell, just in case his 98 year old ass didn't fake death to escape?
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the Blood of Patriots and tyrants" Thomas Jefferson
    "I can merely plead that I'm in the presence of a superior being."- KrazyHorse

He isn't in Texas, to both points.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

The debt is passed on to his children.
      “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
      "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Working...
      X