Alleged Nazi guard charged over WWII killings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alleged Nazi guard charged over WWII killings

Assuming that he's found guilty, even if he's sentenced to one day per person, he may be in trouble. That would be approximately 75 years.

Germany to try 89-year-old Demjanjuk, who was deported from U.S. in May

updated 4:49 a.m. CT, Mon., July 13, 2009

MUNICH - German prosecutors formally charged John Demjanjuk on Monday with 27,900 counts of being an accessory to murder at a Nazi death camp during World War II.

The charges against the 89-year-old retired auto worker, who was deported from the United States in May, were filed at a Munich state court, prosecutors in the city said in a brief statement. There was no immediate word on when a trial might start.

Doctors cleared the way for formal charges earlier this month, determining that Demjanjuk (dem-YAHN'-yuk) was fit to stand trial so long as court sessions do not exceed two 90-minute blocs per day.

Prosecutors accuse Demjanjuk of serving as a guard at the Sobibor camp in Nazi-occupied Poland during World War II.

Suspect disputes accusation
    Demjanjuk says he was a Red Army soldier who spent World War II as a prisoner of war and never hurt anyone.

But Nazi-era documents obtained by U.S. justice authorities and shared with German prosecutors include a photo ID identifying Demjanjuk as a guard at the Sobibor death camp and information that he was trained at an SS facility for Nazi guards at Trawniki, which was also in occupied-Poland.

Charges of accessory to murder carry a maximum sentence of 15 years in prison in Germany.

Efraim Zuroff, the top Nazi-hunter at the Simon Wiesenthal Center, welcomed the filing of formal charges.

"This is obviously an important step forward," Zuroff said by telephone from Jerusalem. "We hope that the trial itself will be expedited so that justice will be achieved and he can be given the appropriate punishment."

"The effort to bring Demjanjuk to justice sends a very powerful message that the passage of time in no way diminishes the guilt of the perpetrator," Zuroff said.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

The guy is 89 and he was just a guard.

Let it go.

Are there any reliable witnesses left alive? If all they have is that he was a guard, don't bother.

Now if they have anything definative that ties him to deaths, ok. But it doesn't sound like it.

Just because he was trained at an SS facility doesn't prove anything.
    It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

It's not me. It's these other people that are after him.
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by rah View Post
        The guy is 89 and he was just a guard.

Let it go.

Are there any reliable witnesses left alive? If all they have is that he was a guard, don't bother.

Now if they have anything definative that ties him to deaths, ok. But it doesn't sound like it.

Just because he was trained at an SS facility doesn't prove anything.
        Just a guard?

If he is proven to have been a guard at a death camp then that means that he ACTIVELY AIDED in mass killings.

Any guard there would have known EXACTLY what was happening and still chosen to come to work every day.

**** him.

War criminals differ from regular criminals in that they can usually hope to get away with their actions. If their side wins the war, then it's not going to be considered a crime. Even if their side loses, it's usually pretty easy for them to change identities, or hope that their actions are obscured by the fog of war.

Because of this, it becomes even more important to deter future war criminals with the knowledge that they will be hounded to the end of their days; that there is no statute of limitations. The sight of this pathetic old man rotting away in prison is something important to show.
        12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
        Stadtluft Macht Frei
        Killing it is the new killing it
        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

War criminals differ from regular criminals in that they either follow orders or become victims themselves

Fixed.

Comment

John Demjanjuk has been hounded by the Israels for decades now, if I recall correctly he was even sentenced to death at one point but the verdict was overturned for some reason.

Comment

Originally posted by Space05us View Post
              War criminals differ from regular criminals in that they either follow orders or become victims themselves

Fixed.
              This isn't even close to clever. The "fixed" meme only works if there's a subtle change which can significantly alter the meaning. Rewriting an entire post doesn't cut it. Work on your skills and get back to me.
              Stadtluft Macht Frei
              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Also, the Nazis weren't compelling people to work as guards in the camps. They'd be just as happy sending him off to fight the Soviets.
                John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

If he is proven to have been a guard at a death camp then that means that he ACTIVELY AIDED in mass killings.
                  I'd love to hear the proof of that. I doubt EVERY guard actively participated in mass killings.

I guess every american bombadier should be put in jail also. OH heck, the entire crew of bombers.
                  It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                  RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
                    This isn't even close to clever. The "fixed" meme only works if there's a subtle change which can significantly alter the meaning. Rewriting an entire post doesn't cut it. Work on your skills and get back to me.
                    Ok. I'll drop trying to be clever. Had the camp guards at concentration camps refused to follow orders they would have ended up taking showers with the prisoners.

Comment

Rah, are you being deliberately dense? If I lock you in a room until my friend Lenny the Axe Murderer gets there then wouldn't you say that I actively aided in your death?

"Only a guard" doesn't mean ****.
                      Stadtluft Macht Frei
                      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by Space05us View Post
                        Ok. I'll drop trying to be clever. Had the camp guards at concentration camps refused to follow orders they would have ended up taking showers with the prisoners.
                        This is actually complete nonsense.
                        Stadtluft Macht Frei
                        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

My problem with this is that he was already acquitted. I'm not a fan of double jeopardy.

Comment

Rah, I have no idea what the **** you're attempting to get at by mentioning American bomber crews. Are you implying that the use of bombers by the US constitutes a war crime?
                            Stadtluft Macht Frei
                            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Kuci, as I understand it he is currently on trial (or whatever you want to call the proceedings against him) for a different set of crimes than the ones he was originally tried for.

As far as I know, if I was acquitted of being the Unabomber it doesn't mean that charging me with being the Atlanta Olympics bomber would constitute double jeopardy.
                              Stadtluft Macht Frei
                              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Working...
                              X