Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cab Driver Beheads Self in Bizarre Suicide

[QUOTESaturday, July 11, 2009

Print ShareThisA taxi driver decapitated himself in his cab in what appears to have been a gruesome suicide.

The man, believed to be in his 30s, tied a rope to a lamppost and the other end around his neck before driving off in Southwark, southeast London, on Friday.

His body was found by police slumped in the car — with his severed head yards away.

Police are treating the driver's death as suicide and are trying to trace his next of kin.

Officers were called at 12.40 a.m. Friday to the horrific scene in Great Suffolk Street, where the car had crashed into a pillar.

"Officers attended and the driver was found dead inside the vehicle," a spokesman for the Metropolitan Police said.

][/QUOTE]

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,...est=latestnews

Excrement!! Now I have seen everything!!

Paki?

Comment

Imaginative.
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand View Post
        Imaginative.
        That was my first thought as well.

Comment

Saw a similar story in a Finnish book about morgue workers. "You only die twice", it was called. Great stories about bizarre "cases".
          I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

i still have my head.
            I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
            [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

Comment

that's the way I want to go out

errr wait, maybe I should research this first. Is it painless? Humans aren't like chickens and still run around with their heads cut off do they? Or is it instant death?

Comment

I've heard rumor that your eyes can still briefly see. No one with actual experience has spoken of it.
                Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

I always have that thought when I see images of the guillotine.
                  "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                  "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

I've read that you would still have consciousness for a few seconds until the blood pressure inside your noggin dropped too low and you passed out. Though with what the cab driver did I would assume you would lose consciousness rather abruptly as the noose would cause the blood pressure to skyrocket inside your noggin, if only for a brief second. You would have the worst headache in your life, until you die a second later. I could be wrong though.

I do believe I was wrong:

Hanging was invented in the Persian Empire 2,500 years ago.

It is meant to break the neck and choke a person to death as efficiently as possible.

Of course, we could say now that the most famous hanging deaths are the recent executions of former Iraqi president Saddam Hussein and two of his accomplices, his half brother and the former head of Iraq's Revolutionary Court.

The last major advance in the hanging technology was developed in the 19th century, when tables were projected to take into account both the length of rope needed to kill, and the distance of the necessary "drop''.

In judicial hangings, the convicted is dropped a distance
                    greater than their height through a trapdoor. The rope turns rigid, and the noose's force will break the victim's neck, provoking immediate paralysis and unconsciousness. The rope should snap the upper cervical spine, thus the head would break from the neck. But - in most cases - the convicted dies of asphyxiation.

Experts say that death by hanging probably comes anywhere from a few seconds to a couple of minutes.

Judicial hangings, as opposed to suicides, provoke a significant damage to the spinal cord. When the fall is longer than the prescribed distance, the victim can be even decapitated. Sometimes, intense fear can cause a cardiac arrest to the convicted. "Hanging is a very cruel way of killing people,'' said Harold Hillman, an expert in executions who teaches at the University of Surrey. "The fracture obstructs their breathing, and they are left gasping for breath."

"Even when the neck is broken, there is still blood containing oxygen in the brain. The brain can still function at some level until that oxygen is used up", said Hillman.

In fact, even when beheaded, the head can still have facial movements, like the famous smile of the head of the Marie Antoinette, the guillotined French queen during the French revolution. "Until there is no oxygen left, you can have involuntary movements in the head", said Hillman.

Measures would indicate that the heavier the prisoner, the shorter the rope necessary to produce sufficient force to break his neck. "A person could weigh an amount that required a length of 8 feet, but because his neck is particularly scrawny, his head might come off,'' said Geoffrey Abbott, author of "Execution: The Guillotine, the Pendulum, the Thousand Cuts, the Spanish Donkey, and 66 Other Ways of Putting Someone to Death.''

"Under no circumstances can an execution be in accordance with human rights standards,'' said Param-Preet Singh, counsel for the international justice program at Human Rights Watch.

*This is the ideal situation in a long drop. When the neck breaks and severs the spine, blood pressure drops down to nothing in about a second, and the subject loses consciousness. Brain death then takes several minutes to occur, and complete death can take more than 15 or 20 minutes, but the person at the end of the rope most likely can't feel or experience any of it.

Hanging, when carried out with modern techniques, can be one of the quickest and most painless ways to be executed. But not all hangings are designed that way.
                    Last edited by Space05us; July 11, 2009, 17:35.

Comment

It don't hurt for long

Comment

Originally posted by Docfeelgood View Post
                        Paki?

Genius! Again!
                        The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Working...
                        X