Is the U.S. going to collapse economically? need financial advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the U.S. going to collapse economically? need financial advice

In a 2003 paper, Thomas Laubach, the US Federal Reserve’s senior economist, calculated the impact on long-term interest rates of rising fiscal deficits and soaring national debt. Applying his assumptions to the recent spike in the US fiscal deficit and national debt, long-term interests rates will double from their current 3.5pc.

The impact would be devastating by making it punitively expensive to finance national borrowings and leading to what Tim Congdon, founder of Lombard Street Research, called a “debt explosion”. Mr Laubach’s study has implications for the UK, too, as public debt is soaring. A US crisis would have implications for the rest of the world, in any case.

Related Articles

Budget 2009: Government's economic recovery predictions 'utter fantasy'
    House prices: further falls look likely
    US bonds sale faces market resistance
    Families face £1,250 tax increase to pay for Labour's borrowing
    Markets shudder as inflation rears head

Using historical examples for his paper, New Evidence on the Interest Rate Effects of Budget Deficits and Debt, Mr Laubach came to the conclusion that “a percentage point increase in the projected deficit-to-GDP ratio raises the 10-year bond rate expected to prevail five years into the future by 20 to 40 basis points, a typical estimate is about 25 basis points”.

The US deficit has blown out from 3pc to 13.5pc in the past year but long-term rates are largely unchanged. Assuming Mr Laubach’s “typical estimate”, long-term rates have to climb 2.5 percentage points.

He added: “Similarly, a percentage point increase in the projected debt-to-GDP ratio raises future interest rates by about 4 to 5 basis points.” Economists are predicting a wide range of ratios but Mr Congdon said it was “not unreasonable” to assume debt doubling to 140pc. At that level, Mr Laubach’s calculations would see long-term rates rise by 3.5 percentage points.

The study is damning because Mr Laubach was the Fed’s economist at the time, going on to become its senior economist between 2005 and 2008, when he stepped down. As a result, the doubling in rates is the US central bank’s own prediction.

Mr Congdon said the study illustrated the “horrifying” consequences for leading western economies of bailing out their banks and attempting to stimulate markets by cutting taxes and boosting public spending. He said the markets had failed to digest fully the scale of fiscal largesse and said “current gilt yields [public debt] are extraordinary low given the size of deficits”.

Should the cost of raising or refinancing public debt in the markets double, “the debt could just explode”, he said, adding that it would come to a head in “five to 10 years”.
    So anyways what's the best way to survive this? What should I invest my money in? And no, I will not invest in your beer fund. I'm starting to get real worried. I know I shouldn't fall for these doom and gloom articles by the press. But it looks like Obama is in way over his head. Not that McCain could have done much better...

I have too much in the U.S. stock market as it is. Should I invest in foreign goverment bonds? So much of their economy is dependant on the U.S., however.

For everyone of these guys there's a Keynesian saying the exact opposite.
    Monkey!!!

Comment

yeah I hear ya.

I read two articles. I believe one was on fox, the other on CNN. Basically one said Obama isn't doing enough stimulus, and the other says his stimulus is making things worse. They basically blamed Roosevelt for prolonging the depression with his economic policies. Kind of hard to find an unbiased view of depression era economic history.

Comment

I think the financial hang from this burst bubble will last for around a decade just like it did when Japan's bubble burst. Many economists are saying in 2010 we'll return to very slight growth, maybe a point above inflation, but there will be no big roaring boom. On the downside the layoffs will slow down or stop but we probably won't see much new hiring. The best thing we could do is try to promote more small banks to compete against the wounded giants who are basically insolvent.
        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

A 2010 projection is a stretch towards hopeful thinking, personally the way it seems with current market standings, currency values, job market, and foreclosure rate *to name a few of the problems* is 2011 end of the year moving into 2012. No matter what Obama does it will not be fixed completely by the end of his term. He is in an impossible position, I give him that much, that it is going to take drastic steps to change the path the economy is on. Steps that he has taken though, or spoken of taking, lean in the direction of America having to go completely opposite of the direction we have always moved. Right now he is pushing this medical bill and cap and trade bill hard, and I find it hard to believe either of those is what we need economically right now. Cap and trade will be sending valuable markets abroad to distribute our success to the 3rd worlds of Africa, hoping to save the blame from America on "global warming". Then the medical bill, threats of fining people who can't afford medical insurance to force them into government insurance...its just a bad time for that part right now. Get the medical industry under control, get them regulated with their prices...wait for people to have money before you talk about fining them.

For a messiah of change the only change he has done so far is make us seem weak, IMHO.
          "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the Blood of Patriots and tyrants" Thomas Jefferson
          "I can merely plead that I'm in the presence of a superior being."- KrazyHorse

Comment

The UK is screwed. It's so bad, I'm now working in Mexico
            Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

"Is The Worst Over? Most Economists Say Yes."

As the year's second half begins, most economists are saying the economy will begin to grow slowly in the fall. But hopes for a faster recovery cooled Thursday when the Labor Department said another 467,000 jobs disappeared in June.

The reality is we've been in a slow but deepening recession since Nov 2007 but it looks like we're finally bottoming out. By late summer things should finally start moving in the right direction. That said that said the Republican bubble was a giant cluster **** which is going to be with us for some time; the banks are insolvent right now and surviving on free loans from the Fed. We're going into be paying for the Republican screw ups for a very long time.

Comment

Is the U.S. going to collapse economically? need financial advice

Yes.

Forget all markets. They are rigged games.

It's even too late for gold, unless you are some sort of mutant who can digest the stuff.

Seeds and guns, brother. You're either going to be able to grow your own food and keep it, or you're going to want to take someone else's. Screw them. It's the American way.
                (\__/)
                (='.'=)
                (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

It's not that bad. Only 10 more lousy years to go and we will have a new bull market.

Comment

10 years. That's a lot of tent cities.
                    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

America is paying and will keep paying the price for the Reagan/Bush deficits for a long time. Slow recovery soon is probable due to stimulus etc, but that recovery will not last for more than 2 years and the next slump which will be followed by contractionary fiscal policies to save the nation from ballooning debt sending America and much of world into near depression.
                      Australia has survived the first slump intact due to fiscal surpluses of the Howard years, but will not the 2nd as well due to the Labor government running big deficits now.

Comment

That's what I don't get. Republicans were happy even cheered the Reagan and Bush deficits which account for some where around 3/4ths of the US national debt but Obama is in office just a few months and suddenly they feign outrage about the deficit. As if Obama didn't inherit the whole mess from Bush just like he inherited the worst recession in 80 years. These people are such two faced hypocrites.

Comment

In a 2003 paper, Thomas Laubach, the US Federal Reserve’s senior economist,
                          Originally posted by notyoueither View Post
                          Yes.

Forget all markets. They are rigged games.

It's even too late for gold, unless you are some sort of mutant who can digest the stuff.

Seeds and guns, brother. You're either going to be able to grow your own food and keep it, or you're going to want to take someone else's. Screw them. It's the American way.
                          Originally posted by trev View Post
                          America is paying and will keep paying the price for the Reagan/Bush deficits for a long time.
                          Originally posted by Oerdin View Post
                          Republicans were happy even cheered the Reagan and Bush deficits which account for some where around 3/4ths of the US national debt but Obama is in office just a few months

it's a standard economic downturn, exacerbated by increased federal deficit. 3 years and it'll be an upturn again, tho ever-existing deficit will have long-term negative effects until you'll fix it. of course, the more irresponsible and short-sighted the goverment actions are, the worse off you'll be.

worst case scenario, dollar's credibility will go bust and you're stuck in zero-growth and seemingly neverending high inflation until government changes. best case scenario, you'll be in the middle of another boom (~3% yearly GDP growth) after 4 years. it's not another apocalypse, just make the necessary adjustments to your personal spending & savings and carry on with your life

and thinking that pork money for democratic strongholds sold under the banner of "stimulus package" will somehow improve the economy. there is no infrastructure improvement or new government-created productive make-work programs, it's just free money for their constitutients
                          Last edited by RGBVideo; July 7, 2009, 07:01.

Comment

Originally posted by trev View Post
                            America is paying and will keep paying the price for the Reagan/Bush deficits for a long time. ...

While I'd like to [and in fact do] blame Reagan/Bush for this financial fiasco, we need to also quote Pogo: "We have met the enemy, and he is us." The out-of-control spending by average Americans over the past several years has been shameful. Near the end, the national savings rate went negative -- we, as a nation, were spending more than we were making. That is a bubble, and bubbles eventually go POP!

One of the things we need to do as individuals is to get our personal savings rate up to at least 5%, better yet 10%, and to do that, we need to cut back on spending. But moving this income from consumer spending over to savings, will mean less spending, less demand for goods and services, factories that remain closed, and unemployed folks who remain unemployed. This is why I think this depression will end with a very drawn out, very palid recovery.

If we, as a nation, go back to spending money we don't have, go back to living on credit, go back to deluding ourselves that a Financial Day of Reconning will never arrive, then the U.S. is going to collapse economically.

Comment

This thread is hilarious.
                              12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                              Stadtluft Macht Frei
                              Killing it is the new killing it
                              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Working...
                              X