• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• India decriminalises homosexuality

Link
    Full text of the judgement

Legally Gay: Historic Court Order Makes it Possible

Gay sex won legal sanction in India after the Delhi High Court on Thursday passed a landmark ruling that was hailed by gay rights activists but denounced by religious leaders as an assault on God.

In a judgment that followed eight years of judicial battle, the Delhi High Court read down Section 377 of the Indian Penal Code (IPC), quoting Jawaharlal Nehru to emphasise that the Constitution guaranteed gay rights equal to what other citizens enjoy.

In a courtroom packed with around 100 people, Chief Justice Ajit Prakash Shah and Justice S Muralidhar said that if not amended, Section 377 would violate Article 21 of the Constitution, which states that every citizen has equal opportunity of life and is equal before law.

"Equality and inclusiveness are the tenets of the Constitution," they quoted India's first Prime Minister as saying. Calling any discrimination anti-thesis of the right to equality, the judges added, "Equality should not be read literally, but in true spirit."

In a judgement of over 100 pages, the judges said that Section 377 should be amended and any sex between consenting adults should be legalised. They underlined, however, that this would not apply to those under 18 years.

Many of the gay rights activists from India and abroad present in the court broke into tears as the order was passed while others shouted in joy before realising that their action would amount to contempt of court.

In no time, they trooped out of the court room screaming "We have won, we have won!" and "justice has prevailed". Simultaneously, they handed out pamphlets explaining what homosexuality is all about.

Outside, gay activists burst into celebrations and shouted slogans hailing the judiciary. Others held a variety of hand-written placards including one that said in bold letters: "377 Quit India".

Religious leaders protest

The reaction from Hindu, Muslim and Christian leaders was swift and bordered on anger and disbelief.

"The Arya Samaj can never accept this. This cannot be applied to Hindu society or our beliefs," a senior priest of Delhi Arya Samaj Mandir Ganesh Tripathi said.

All India Muslim Personal Law Board's Kamal Farooqi said, "This is a sad day for civilised society. It is not acceptable. They are playing with the future generations and civilised society."

Pro-vice chancellor of Darul Uloom Maulana Abdul Khaleeq Madrasi said over telephone, "Scrapping such law is not justified. Islam does not allow such relationships. This is an attempt to impose Western culture on Indian society."

Father Dominic Emmanuel added, "We are against legalising (gay sex)... This is because what they do is unnatural and against the design and will of God."

Section 377, a relic of the British Raj, relates to "unnatural offences" and says that "whoever voluntarily has carnal intercourse against the order of nature with any man, woman or animal should be punished".

Chief Justice Shah and Justice Muralidhar said, "We declare Section 377 in so far as it criminalises consensual sexual acts of adults in private is violative of articles 14, 21 and 15 of the Constitution. The provision of Section 377 will continue to govern non-consensual penile non-vaginal sex and penile non vaginal sex involving minors."

They said this judgement will hold till Parliament chooses to amend the law.

The court also ruled that the Law Commission's report recommending gay sex to be legalised should be kept in mind by Parliament.

From now on, police will no longer be able to arrest adult gays having consensual sex.

Anjali Gopalan of the Naz Foundation said, "We had asked that Section 377 be read down. This, however, does not hold good for minors below 18. Also, the fact that adults have to be consenting is important. It is celebration time for us. We have waited for years for this day."

"I am very emotional at the moment. We have been struggling for this for 30 years. I didn't expect to see this in my lifetime. Now we can move forward to get laws for safety , security in marriage, jobs, etc for the gay community," said Gay rights activist Sunil Gupta.

In 2004, the Delhi High Court dismissed a similar petition, calling it an academic challenge to the constitutionality of a legislative provision which could not be entertained.

Last year, the Central Government had submitted that gay sex was immoral and reflective of a perverse mind and warned its de-criminalisation would lead to moral degradation in society.

"Every citizen has the right to lead a decent and moral life in society and the right would be violated if such behaviour (gay sex) is legalised," the Government contended.

It remains to be seen whether the Central Government will appeal against the latest order in the Supreme Court.
    Good news.

I already told MrFun to post it but appearently he doesn't like them gays whe they're furriners :Wiglaf:
    Blah

Comment

The reaction from Hindu, Muslim and Christian leaders was swift and bordered on anger and disbelief.

"The Arya Samaj can never accept this. This cannot be applied to Hindu society or our beliefs," a senior priest of Delhi Arya Samaj Mandir Ganesh Tripathi said.

All India Muslim Personal Law Board's Kamal Farooqi said, "This is a sad day for civilised society. It is not acceptable. They are playing with the future generations and civilised society."

Pro-vice chancellor of Darul Uloom Maulana Abdul Khaleeq Madrasi said over telephone, "Scrapping such law is not justified. Islam does not allow such relationships. This is an attempt to impose Western culture on Indian society."

Father Dominic Emmanuel added, "We are against legalising (gay sex)... This is because what they do is unnatural and against the design and will of God."

More proof that all religions are equally stupid.
      I'm consitently stupid- Japher
      I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Originally posted by Theben View Post

Pretty much.

Comment

Originally posted by Theben View Post
          no. there is a good one still
          Order of the Fly
          Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

Originally posted by AAHZ View Post
            no. there is a good one still
            The problem is finding it.

Comment

You should stop looking for all the answers, and just BE.
              Order of the Fly
              Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

Dare I wonder what a Hindu gay pride parade might look like?
                Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh

Comment

Like any Bollywood movie.

I know of no other country gayer than India.
                  "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                  Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Button-down shirts, ties, and 3-piece suits in either grey, black, or navy.
                    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                    "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

This is an attempt to impose Western culture on Indian society."
                      They now blame there homos on the west.

Must have put it in the food?

Comment

Originally posted by Sprayber View Post
                        Dare I wonder what a Hindu gay pride parade might look like?
                        Lots of 6-armed guys guys running around with nothing on but blue paint and leather chaps?
                        Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Originally posted by Docfeelgood View Post

They now blame there homos on the west.
                          "The West" is the standard bogeyman for these idiots. As I observed on another forum, in a slightly different context:

There is a curious thing I have noticed among my peers, and among their counterparts in the West. Both seem to delight in taking the crap from each others' systems. The people here complain of "Westernisation", and you complain of being sick of the "Eastern solution". Both are, in a sense, right.

Will you find a youngster here reading Homer, Virgil, Dante (even in translation), Milton, Shakespeare, Keats, or any of the great English novelists? No. Will this youngster have read any great works of Western philosophy, economics, mathematics, theology, science, political theory, or any other pursuit or this nature, without being compelled to? Never in a hundred years. Were you to engage this hypothetical youngster in converstaion, would you find in him the maturity that the classical Western tradition is supposed to bring with it? Most certainly not! Will you find him obsessing over the latest television fad from the West? Most certainly yes. Over the latest peccadillo of some dissolute celebrity? Of course!

Similarly, will you find his counterpart in the West engaged in reading through the epic literature of India, say, the Ramayana and Mahabharat? No - he probably has no idea that they even exist. Will you find him going over the Panchantantra, say, to gain greater insight into practical politics? I very much doubt it. Will this person read through the large literature of the great classical poets and authors, whose work continues to dazzle us to this day with its brilliance? No. When you engage him in conversation, would he display the perspective which the Indian classsical tradition is supposed to impart? No chance. But this same youngster will be all too happy to pick up some stray strand of thought from a marginal tradition, rip it out of its context, apply it most injudiciously somewhere where it was never meant to be used, and proclaim it the "Eastern solution".

Why we do this, I do not know. It's tragic, nonetheless.

Comment

I thought only part of India decriminalized homosexuality (New Delhi)?

(finds misleading thread title annoying)
                            A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

No. This is a Supreme Court decision, and applicable nationwide.

Comment

Working...
                              X